Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Brexit - Page 158 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Brexit

Barrykearley

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, gregs24 said:

British Chamber of Commerce and real business owners actually. But if it hasn't affected you then lucky you.

The only affects has been getting stuff from the EU. Specifically from Germany- once then pesky obtuse and obstructive French customs get hold of anything it would seem you are screwed.

Believe it if not - the vast majority of businesses sell to uk customers and local customers. The way the BBC go on you would think there are none in the uk.

Only here once

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

There are indeed plenty of issues exporting from the uk. Frankly any uk business that didn’t expect that or didn’t plan for that deserve little sympathy. They only had a few years of warning after all.

best to remember almost anything on the BBC is a pack of lies.

• Like 1

Only here once

• 3 weeks later...

Well at least Gina cannot be accused of attending any large parties 🥱

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/01/13/anti-brexit-campaigner-gina-miller-launches-new-political-party/

• 1 year later...
On 10/04/2019 at 16:46, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

My "life savings" have always been converted into classic cars, which have been pretty good investments to boot. I'm not interested in stocks and shares.

Here's an example of my financial acumen: when my mother died in early 2000 I inherited a small number of shares. I promptly cashed them all in and got a few hundred quid back. One of those companies was a little Cambridge tech start-up called ARM Holdings. It was first listed on the stock market in 1998, so she must have bought the shares at the very beginning.

ARM Holdings has since gone on to become the dominant global market leader in the development and licensing of microprocessors for smart phones and tablets. Pretty much every one of you will have their designs in your devices.

With the consent of the remaining shareholders, a Japanese tech firm bought them out for £23.4 billion in 2016. D'oh!

Actually a shares story, but following on from the above post, I just noticed that the above tech company ARM Holdings, which my mum had shares in from their very start and I subsequently inherited and promptly sold, was valued yesterday for an IPO on the NASDAQ at $63 billion. Perhaps I should have held on to them…

Perhaps. Maybe. If. All words not worth  bothering about in relation to past actions. They don't change anything. They don't achieve anything.

Once I make a decision on stuff like that I don't look back. It's done. Move on 

• Like 2

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• 4 weeks later...

@Bruss I copied the below from  your other post.

Can I ask why you/your friends are selling up and moving back to the UK?  I get bombarded with people telling me how much better life is in the EU, but then they're either moving back here, or at some point in the conversation it transpires they're family moved here from the EU. I'm easily confused so don't get it, especially the negativity in the UK from people in the UK (usually people still pissed about Brexit and the additional travel hassle to be fair).

Thanks (didn't want to mess up the other thread)

"I live in France and don’t recognise the time taken to buy and sell a house once an offer is accepted. My own was 9 weeks from offer to exchange. Friends  (3) who have sold and moved back to the UK have all been out within 3 months. The same with any government service. There is a procedure and if followed it is straightforward. We have gained tax, social service, health, driving licences, UK imported car re registration, and two yearly MoT equivalents without any delay or problems. Doctors, dentists, hospitals are all easily accessed quickly. Vet for the dogs are effective and way cheaper.  No bureaucracy problems here in the last ten years."

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

The trouble with Brexit is the civil servants never wanted it and have opposed and done all they can to scupper it.

I knew this when I voted to leave and am more convinced it was by far the correct choice.

I saw this vid as the recent "rejoin" rally in London. I know its been edited to make the re-joiners look bad but the best they can come up with for what they miss about being out of the EU seems to be friendship? One guy claims he liked the EU as it was much more democratic???

Re friends moving back.

One, her husband died and she felt isolated so moved back to be near her daughter.

Second, his single parent daughter died leaving grandchildren unsupported. Went back to provide the support.

Third, a little happier reason. Had their first grandchild and Mrs wanted to be close, he didn’t want to go back but realised he had no choice. 😃

General point for me is that I have a less stressed life here. Quiet countryside life suits me and the services are at least equal to the UK. There is good and bad in most countries. What object to is people who don’t live here making sweeping generalisations that I haven’t found to be true. 

I expect to move back to the UK at sometime as Mrs Bruss won’t want to be here alone when I die. I shan’t give her that worry. If in the unlikely event that she should go first then I’ll be buried here.

We moved here pre brexit. Brexit is a whole other subject and not relevant to me re which country we chose to live in.

Great response (well not the reasons!) @Bruss. Thanks. Of course we hope it is many years before you and Mrs. Bruss feel the need to come back!

I think I have the same objections as you - in that many of the people in the UK who seem to believe life in the EU "is so much better" are basing that on their 2 or 3 weeks "on the piss" when on holiday, as opposed to having lived there.

I have no issue with people in the EU, and the countries of the EU, (but I do believe the EU as an organisation is corrupt to the core), and feel that if that is where people want to live then they should be left to get on with it. I just get pissed at the people who choose to "live here" and then whine and whinge about how life and everything is so much better in the EU. I just wish they'd sod off and go and live in the EU! 

Like you, I live in the quiet countryside and when at home I have a very, very, unstressed life and find life in the UK to be most agreeable (especially as I am subsidised so much by the english taxpayers!  - sorry, couldn't resist lol :shock: :w00t: )

Thanks again for a great response.

• Like 2

The small print.

If I was to move to France @Bruss, I'd want to live with the French, the way the French do. I'd learn the lingo and I'd join in the community.

Never understood why some English people move somewhere else then try to turn it into Little England. (or Scotland, or Wales, or Ireland).

When on holiday I run a million miles from an english breakfast, and Irish pub, etc.

You look like you have a great setup and and a great rural community there.

The small print.

Thanks. The French language defeats me I’m afraid. I understand a little on hearing it but can read it better. Around here it tends to be an regional occitaine accent from country folk, and received French from the city toffs. Fortunately the slow pace of life allows the French, UK and Dutch contingent in our hamlet, time to understand each other. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Never understood why some English people move somewhere else then try to turn it into Little England. (or Scotland, or Wales, or Ireland).

I think there are a lot of people who move to foreign parts for all the right reasons but tend to group together with other English men & women.

They may have all the best intentions of learning the language but its easier to meet and hang with your English friends. 

My father in law done this in Spain. All his Ex-pat friends who moved there had hoped to get a little side job but as they cant speak Spanish there are very few jobs for them.

Next they all try to make marmalade to sell at car boot sales which is like trying to sell snow to Eskimos.

Next they move to Benidorm where you can buy cheap breakfasts and speak English and even get a job.

That's how it seems to me. 

• Like 1

Lol - I recognise what you're saying @JimmytheTurbo

Unfortunately though, the issues we talk of are not just an affliction of the home nations, be they english, scots, irish or welsh.

A lot of people come here to the UK, for a variety of reasons. Quite a lot of them can't speak the lingo, and some have no intention or desire to learn it. They make no effort to assimilate to our way of life here, and then complain like a whore who has been ridden all day and not paid that WE are not doing ENOUGH to ACCOMMODATE them!  

They spout off about how we live in our own country. They thrown insults and treat us like we are trash. They complain about our way of life and yet expect to live of the money the state gives them from taxpayers. They expect to be housed. To be fed. All the while looking disdainful whilst trying to recreate the ambiance and way of life of their former "home" country.

The trouble is, if you point these things out, by being blunt, but not rude, and by not labelling all as the same, you are then labelled a racist and a terrible person and worst of insults, a dumb fook Brexiteer!

In essence, what a lot of UK people do, when they move abroad, is what a lot of people who move here do.

The ironic thing is that the UK people, before they went abroad and where still here, complained and bitched about that behaviour. But then, when they moved abroad, they get flummoxed by the "locals" in their new country not speaking english and liking a good old breakfast and a pint each day!

This world is nuts, and we're all fooked! The sooner nature takes action against us, the better, for the planet.

• Like 1

The small print.

I'm not sure that it was any harder to travel to the EU than it was before! Apart from the 3 month rule, which doesn't even apply if you want to live somewhere permanently, as most EU countries have a Golden Visa rule,

Been there 3 times since, once for work and twice for pleasure and both those countries had a sign above passport control that said "EU and UK" and then another for "Other Countries". It was just a quick to go through and equally as easy to travel there.

When there, I discussed buying a holiday home and the Estate Agents I talked to all assured me there was absolutely no difference to pre-Brexit apart from the fact, if I didn't want to live there permanently, I could only stay for 3 months at a time.....unless my holiday home or bank account had an investment of £250k or more and then it was a golden Visa Moment. But that suits me fine as my plan was to be there for 2-3 months in Spring and Autumn, when its freezing and raining here but 20-30 degrees there and then rent it out for 3 months in Summer, which pays for it's upkeep for the whole year!

Like you guys have been saying, the only people complaining are those who don't want to integrate anyway, those who are still bitter and trying to say "I told you so" and those who have a vested interest.....AKA the BBC and News Networks.

• Like 2

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

• Gold FFM

The British are well-known worldwide for their linguistic intransigence, and I'm terribly embarrassed by it.  I work hard to learn at least some of the lingo wherever I go.  Fortunately I speak French almost fluently, can get by in German and Russian, and will have a go at anything.  Danish is killing me though.  Maybe I have a bad teacher...

• Haha 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

3 hours ago, Sparky said:

The British are well-known worldwide for their linguistic intransigence

And some of that (not all) is down to when we do go somewhere "exotic" (so that's everywhere bar Ramsgate and Essex) everyone wants us to help them speaka da english, rather than teach us their lingo.

The small print.

16 hours ago, Sparky said:

The British are well-known worldwide for their linguistic intransigence, and I'm terribly embarrassed by it.  I work hard to learn at least some of the lingo wherever I go.  Fortunately I speak French almost fluently, can get by in German and Russian, and will have a go at anything.  Danish is killing me though.  Maybe I have a bad teacher...

How's your American?

• Haha 1

Margate Exotics.

33 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

How's your American?

That's the other way round. You have to teach them to speak English rather than learning their language! 

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

48 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

reaches for Goggle Translate...........

He asked if you wanna fight you British colonialist!

• Like 1