Brexit - Page 108 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Brexit

Barrykearley

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it's now October..........Which means European Elections. I assume everyone who voted Leave will now vote Brexit Party?

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

I think that at the last European Parliament elections in 2014, the largest UK party was UKIP.

So in 2014 the UK electorate voted for UKIP to represent us in Europe. In 2016 the UK electorate voted to leave the EU. The politicians really don't get it do they....

It'll be interesting to see what happens in May.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Neal H said:

I think that at the last European Parliament elections in 2014, the largest UK party was UKIP.

So in 2014 the UK electorate voted for UKIP to represent us in Europe. In 2016 the UK electorate voted to leave the EU. The politicians really don't get it do they....

It'll be interesting to see what happens in May.

I agree - I actually think may et al are shitting themselves at the thought of having to field candidates to the Euro elections as secretly I believe they know they are going to get battered in many areas and the people have their vote!  Hence her insistence on getting the deal done so we don't have to take part.

It's better than watching Lilly Hammer on Netflix is this.... :)

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

7 hours ago, Kimbers said:

So it's now October..........Which means European Elections. I assume everyone who voted Leave will now vote Brexit Party?

Those that can be arsed to vote that is - wouldn't be surprised at an all time low turnout - strange that the Brexit vote was one of the largest turnouts in history. As was said earlier - they just don't get it!

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

• Gold FFM

Don't forget, Pro-EU people have been mobilised too, whereas in 2014 no one really paid much attention. I suspect we'll get quite a good turn out say around 50% (~30% in 2014), with I dunno about a 50:50 split remain/leave. 

In other words nothing much new will come out of it. 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Leavers will be out voting keen and hard I suspect.

remainers - they know it’s an utter stitch up so will stay at home writing vegan cookbooks 

• Like 2

Only here once

3 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Leavers will be out voting keen and hard I suspect.

remainers - they know it’s an utter stitch up so will stay at home writing vegan cookbooks 

Sorry. There is an example of unnecessary antagonism. Yes it happens on both sides but it has no place in a civilised debate.

On 10/04/2019 at 18:20, Andyww said:

ARM were pretty much the last UK-owned big tech firm left. They were bought out by Softbank which are a Japanese phone retailer which had to borrow all the cash to do it. 

No other country has lost all its companies in this way. All large tech companies in Germany and France are listed as having "strategic importance" so cant be taken over by foreign firms. France also lists all big food manufacturers, ports, airports, transport providers and pretty much everything else, all with the EU turning a blind eye on infringements of their own open-market rules.

In latter years I've wondered a lot about why the UK seems unable to retain big and potentially market leading companies. I think one reason is that our financial markets are comparatively free which leaves investors with many more choices as to where and how to invest than in other jurisdictions. Another reason is that the UK does not represent a particularly big market in global terms, which makes it difficult for tech firms in particular to remain here rather than move to where the industry epicentres are. What we are quite good at is growing then selling businesses, and perhaps that is one of our strengths.

Don't call Europe an open market - it's not! You mention the French and German retention of their major industries. The founding members of the EU joined on better terms than we have enjoyed, which for me is one reason we should leave sooner or later unless the playing field is levelled. Even then German industry enjoys a big advantage through an artificially depressed exchange rate (thanks to the Euro) which not only enhances its global competitiveness, but also impoverishes the Southern European nations.

Basically, none of the other 26 nations can afford to upset this particular applecart as they need the German cash.

Cheers Richard

1 hour ago, rjwooll said:

Even then German industry enjoys a big advantage through an artificially depressed exchange rate (thanks to the Euro) which not only enhances its global competitiveness, but also impoverishes the Southern European nations.

Basically, none of the other 26 nations can afford to upset this particular applecart as they need the German cash.

Germany also protects its engineering and manufacturing companies via the TUV approval process. The hoops that companies outside of Germany have to jump through in order to get TUV approval to sell products in Germany is designed to discourage external companies from trying to gain approval.

edit: Unless things have changed in the past 20 years since I was directly involved 

• Like 1

The UK has topped a global ranking of the most attractive countries in which to do business, despite the uncertainty over Brexit. The UK knocked the US off the top spot, held since 2014, in the survey by professional services firm EY, accounting for 10% of global M&A activity worth a combined £305bn last year, its second-best year since the financial crisis. EY’s Steve Krouskos said that despite “continued uncertainty,” relating to Brexit, “what hasn’t changed is that the UK has great companies, great talent, great tech and great IP.”

• Like 2

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Headline in today's Times

Brexit: Nigel Farage’s party surges into European poll lead

New Brexit group takes lead over Tories and Labour in polls

• Like 1

Cheers,

John W

Germany is good at productionising designs and at quality control. They have a rigorous approach to those tasks (But the Japanese are better)

They are not very innovative and cannot move dynamically. The USA leads at that, followed by the UK. Thats why all German car makers have design offices in the UK. They dont shout about this. I have worked on a project for BMW and it was run and tested from their UK office.

Look at F1 engineering. BMW tried to start an F1 team in Germany and it was a dismal failure and they abandoned it in the end. On the other have Merc bought out a British engine manufacturer (Ilmor) and  British team and kept everything based here, with great success. Another thing we dont shout about,  only those in the know are aware that both the car and engine are British designs.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Couple of Opinion Polls - astonishing

Opinium    
Brexit Party 34% +6
Labour 21% -7
Liberal Democrats 12% +5
Conservatives 11% -3
Green 8% +2
UKIP 4% +1
Change UK 3% -4

You Gov    
Brexit Party 34% +4
Labour 16% +5
Liberal Democrats 15% +5
Green 11% +2
Conservatives 10% -3
Change UK 5% +4

May has said she will present her WA for yet another vote in June. I know that the source of this is a pro Brexit website, but I'd be interested to read any thoughts from those opposed to Brexit.

https://briefingsforbrexit.com/the-seven-deadly-sins-in-the-draft-withdrawal-agreement/?fbclid=IwAR2cV42rtkHy_7eO5rpoiyVmd0_pTYzwvtIdHB-vmsIMJEBqGjJVNnu0XNs

• Thanks 1

Cant understand how Labour are getting 21%.

They have two policies on Brexit, Corbyn wants it and the rest of the party dont. What exactly are people voting for?

Change UK on 3% hahaha. A lot of people are going to be looking for other jobs after the next GE.

• Like 1

Don't forget that not everyone will vote purely about Brexit, but I grant you it is the "biggie".

Just as a rough idea, if you separate each Party into Brexit lines and add them together:

Opinium quotes 49% ready to Leave EU now and 44% either Remain or retaining close ties to EU (i.e. inc. Labour's customs union and second referendum proposals).

You Gov quotes 44% ready to Leave EU now and 47% either Remain or retaining close ties to EU (i.e. inc. Labour's customs union and second referendum proposals).

So still pretty even-Steven. 

• Like 1

On 27/04/2019 at 20:37, JG220 said:

:lol:

LtjVs7B.jpg

Not impressed by the racial hatred undertones implied in this of Brexit supporters at all James. If it is an attempt at humour I would strongly suggest it is in very poor taste.

The small print.

If you go by the Local elections just a few weeks ago, the big winners where the remain parties, Lib Dem’s, Green Party and the Pro Brexit parties UKIP, Conservatives and Labour, yes leave parties as laid out in there manifesto’s lost well over a thousand seats yes it was a disaster for them.