IGNORED

Brexit

Barrykearley

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

surely the police don`t have the power to do this. It was ok for the lib/dems to have it on their tee shirts

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/policeman-orders-driver-to-remove-b-to-brexit-car-sign/ar-BBXjFOB?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=mailsignout

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

• Gold FFM

I believe they do - it’s classified as offensive.

amazing how they can ignore folks burning poppies or protesting in Birmingham about education of kids

Only here once

17 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

I believe they do - it’s classified as offensive.

amazing how they can ignore folks burning poppies or protesting in Birmingham about education of kids

I'm pretty sure that after the English Court case where "Never mind the bollocks, here's the sex pistols" was deemed NOT offensive, the word Bollocks is now not offensive in England.

But that decision may not be binding-I can 't recall. 

However, if PISS COCK PARTRIDGE is acceptable....

• Haha 1

A statement that may have been acceptable in the past can become offensive, and vice versa. Also, it depends on where it's used, although I'd think that in a record shop's window is more accessible to small children than on a car's bumper.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Written by a German, but yes it's the Daily Snail. I do wonder if, by a fluke, we actually make a go of Brexit some of the more outspoken Remainer purveyors of doom will admit their crystal balls were wrong. Obviously only time will tell which sides gazing was right.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-7927123/ALEXANDER-VON-SCHOENBURG-says-Germany-fears-Britain-face-reality-Brexit.html

• Like 1
  • Love 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

Well simple maths will probably end up deciding it. For us and the EU.

simple maths will decide it for Germany as well. They have already slipped into recession. They will need to pay more into the EU gravy train slush funds to keep the project going - that money will come from one place only - the German tax payers. Areas of Germany are now crime hotspots utterly over run with economic migrants whom have fled dire countries and are trying to turn the German areas into what they have fled. All sound familiar?

Germany will increasingly see a rise of the far right - and as so many will admit - they sure do have form for it. Like Greta would say “ the end is nigh”

• Like 2

Only here once

I see Helen Macentee was whining on saying UK must not diverge too fat from EU rules as their must be a level playing field.

I guess she has forgotten the hundreds of millions that Ireland and Luxemburg have sifted from rest of EU with their tax rules. How was that a level playing field again?

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

On 26/01/2020 at 19:39, C8RKH said:

I see Helen Macentee was whining on saying UK must not diverge too fat from EU rules as their must be a level playing field.

I guess she has forgotten the hundreds of millions that Ireland and Luxemburg have sifted from rest of EU with their tax rules. How was that a level playing field again?

Which tax rules are they out of interest ?

3 hours ago, gregs24 said:

Which tax rules are they out of interest ?

How about the ones that allowed companies like Apple to syphon of billions with an effective corporate tax rate of 0.0005% and then after it was ruled illegal by the EU in 2016 the Irish government then started to spend millions appealing the decision to prevent billions from going into public public coffers?

You couldn't get away with a film script like that lol...

• Like 1

The small print.

1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

How about the ones that allowed companies like Apple to syphon of billions with an effective corporate tax rate of 0.0005% and then after it was ruled illegal by the EU in 2016 the Irish government then started to spend millions appealing the decision to prevent billions from going into public public coffers?

You couldn't get away with a film script like that lol...

I see what you are referring too now. That appeal is still ongoing.

What I'm not sure is the point you are trying to make. 'Divergence' from EU standards covers a myriad of things most of which there would be no point diverging from for the sake of it. In fact we are currently fully aligned and trade works quite nicely. The problem comes with divergence as no one thing sits in isolation and there are knock on effects. 

The fisheries question is a good starting point which is a minute drop in the ocean when it comes to EU/UK trade but is a political hot potato with UK fishermen complaining about French boats stealing our fish. Stand up for the British fishermen go the headlines. What nobody mentions is that those British fishermen sell 80% of their catch to the EU, so pissing them off is only going to backfire. You can have lovely exclusive fishing rights, but nobody to sell your fish too - great.

It goes back to my original post - it is very complicated and intertwined and the headlines do not do justice to the small details that will actually deeply influence some people's lives

• Like 2

On 25/01/2020 at 15:28, gregs24 said:

the reality is the EU is responsible for a lot of positive progress since we joined

If this is really true, why weren't their positive actions being shouted from the rooftops? Before the referendum, a list of their achievements would have gone a long way to persuading people to remain. I heard and was unable to find anything significant. So remove a layer of bureaucratic pigs troughing from the taxpayers toil, and let the individuals trade freely with each other without skewing the markets towards protectionism.

8 hours ago, gregs24 said:

those British fishermen sell 80% of their catch to the EU, so pissing them off is only going to backfire.

Do you really think EU citizens would refuse to buy fish caught by British fishermen? They wouldn't care who caught it, as long as it is still available on their supermarket shelf. And if the consumption of fish from UK waters is cut by 80%, perhaps fish stocks would have a chance of recovering to a sustainable level.

I say let the Dutch floating fish factory ply its trade in someone else's water. Australian have banned it already, happy if the UK were able to do the same.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

The EU have eliminated child poverty, hunger and homelessness in the UK - oooh hang on....nope they haven’t.

The EU have assisted in the uncontrolled migration into the uk  leaving massive shortages of housing, raising crime rates, crippling the nhs, obliterating our own cultural identity... the list goes on and on. 

This is frankly why so many individuals voted just the way they did. The EU does nothing for the normal working person.

Only here once

The EU assisting corporations to avoid tax is the main reason I voted leave. Its scandalous.

If you look at two specific cases namely Ebay and Paypal, all their billing is done in Luxembourg at rate of 1% CT. The EU have not done anything at all about this because the deals were set up by Juncker. This is corruption pure and simple. The total amount of CT lost to these and other deals is enormous but is never included by remainers when they moan about the 350 million "lie" on that bus. The real amount we lose if CT and VAT is included is way over that figure.

On the subject of Germany, the situation is dire but is not reported by their press. I think I must have mentioned this before on here but my company makes and supplies a component used in PC-based panic alarms. We have sold over 3000 of these to German government contractors who install them in all their public service offices owing to the number of violent attacks employees are receiving.

57 minutes ago, machine7 said:

If this is really true, why weren't their positive actions being shouted from the rooftops? Before the referendum, a list of their achievements would have gone a long way to persuading people to remain. I heard and was unable to find anything significant. So remove a layer of bureaucratic pigs troughing from the taxpayers toil, and let the individuals trade freely with each other without skewing the markets towards protectionism.

This is where you have to be careful of confirmation bias. Leavers will always look for 'facts' that support their view and the same for remainer's. It is quite ludicrous to say the EU has done NOTHING positive as you are well aware.

Car safety is one area where huge strides have been made by the EU as an example. No doubt you will disagree because you will quote one small area where this hasn't happened for you but that doesn't make it untrue. Confirmation bias is a very dangerous problem in many areas not just political views.

• Like 1

Are we leaving this weekend? I seem to recall an almighty doom and gloom, yet now there is bugger all about it. have the issues been resolved ?

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

3 hours ago, gregs24 said:

Car safety is one area where huge strides have been made by the EU as an example. 

What?

In what way have the EU made any difference to car safety? Are you thinking of Euro NCAP which is not an EU organisation, much like the European Patent Agency and many others which are not the EU and not affected by Brexit.