Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Wheel lacquer damaged by wheel cleaner? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Wheel lacquer damaged by wheel cleaner?

A couple of weeks ago I cleaned my car and used Meguiars Ultimate all wheel cleaner ('Safe on all wheels') on my gloss black Design wheels .  Today I noticed an odd grey shiny patch on one wheel and when I rubbed it, it flaked away leaving the paint underneath.  Photos below are before and after rubbing and the stuff I used.  I'm a bit miffed but before I contact Meguiars and ask if it could be their product has anyone else had a similar problem?

20200424_185831.jpg

20200424_185716.jpg

Edited by Spanky3
removed product photo

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you the original owner? Have your wheel been refinished? Did you use their product on all 4 wheels and if so, do any other wheels have the same issue?

Meguiar's webpage states their  Ultimate all wheel cleaner is "Acid free and pH balanced". I would therefore believe it was not caused by their product.

However, it does contain the following: Sodium mercaptoacetate,  alcohol ethoxysulfate (sodium salt) and Ethoxylated C9-11 alcohols.  

What this means... I have no idea as I'm not a chemist. But it looks like at least some of those chemicals are used in (of all things) beauty products. Your research may vary though.

• Gold FFM

How come there is a difference between the two photos?

Are those marks on the outer face of the spoke in the first photo? They don't seem to be there in the second photo.

Likewise, there is the spot on the second photo which looks like water has drained away, but upside down. I am wondering whether that is a small impact from a stone which has broken the clear coat surface and the cleaner has just exacerbated it?

I have used quite a few Mequiars products on various vehicles and wheels and have never had an adverse reaction. I will admit though that I have not used the product that you have mentioned.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

I think all wheel cleaning solutions can be quite aggressive. As you have an SR I am assuming your car is about 6 years old. Many alloy wheels will have started to deteriorate by then, so have affected the paint on top. I have brand new VW Passats every 3 years. I think they have always shown a bit of wheel corrosion by the time I have handed them back, even without any visible stone chip damage. I think best practice is to keep on top of your wheel cleaning with your normal bucket and sponge and keep the use of other products to a minimum. However I am a hypocrite as I always use a wheel cleaning spray, because they work so well, particularly on the tough stuff. Maybe time for a professional refurb?

That was more for acid based cleaners which aren't really available now. I use the iron extracting cleaners on the wheels, they're ph neutral so kind to wheels and even safe enough for the whole car. The one I use now is Dragon's Breath from Valet Pro. It's very effective. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq6vwqNtql0

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/valet-pro-dragon-39-s-breath

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I usually avoid them. The dragons breath one is good, but like iron max they are scented so you can tell when there is product left on the wheels, and seemingly you’d need to submerge the car to rinse off all the product, so now I only really use them if I remove the wheels. 

Generally get my wheels refurbed every 2/3 years. 

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

Thanks all.. as others have said the meguiars stuff is meant to be gentle and not like the old 'wonderwheels' that ate through anything it touched. To answer one of the questions the difference between the photos is that one shows the metallic silver patch of damaged lacquer and the other is after I poked it and it fell off. I suspect Ramjet is right (good spot) that the lacquer was holed/damaged and water or the cleaner has got in and finished it off.

A wheel refurb was on the list of things Silverstone had highlighted to be done before I collected but for whatever reason they didn't and said they were they were ok.  Guess I'll get them done as a post-lockdown treat 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I've been using Meguiars Ultimate all wheel cleaner quite often for 3+ years now on my gloss black wheels without any problems.   I'd note that there is a little rash on 2 of the wheels which I occasionally touch up with black brush on enamel.   I haven't had any problems with these exposed areas starting to weaken or flake off so far..