Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Formula One - Page 46 - Motorsport - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Formula One

KAS-118

None of us will ever know how or why Masi changed the thing about cars not unlapping themselves, however the original idea was only done to get them racing asap, I really don’t buy the conspiracy theory of Max being favoured.

But when it comes to attempts to manipulate Masi none are as dangerous or reprehensible  as Wolff pleading with him to not put the safety car out. Heat of the moment lapse of judgment no doubt but takes the prize.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LotusFella said:

All they will do is sack Masi and let the result stand.

Fine by me. I'd be happy with that to be honest as some sort of justice would be done.

Next year, we need a Race Director who can actually direct, with authority, clarity and fairness. So that rules out Masi and Mr. Magoo who I am beginning to think are one and the same.

I also think that next year we need to:

1. Remove all external inbound comms to the Stewards/Race Director - so that means no team directors, team bosses, etc and NO Liberty Media etc and the Stewards decide what they listen to from where etc.

2. Stewards need to make ALL decisions regarding racing incidents

3. Race Director focus is on safety and ensuring the races are run to the letter of the rule book etc - communication with the Race Director is one way, from the Race Director

• Like 2

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

47 minutes ago, PaulCP said:

@jimichangayour analysis really says ‘the rules, common sense and F1’s credibility are meaningless. Next season let’s just have every race as a 1 lap shootout
BTW, Lewis decided not to pit during the virtual SC, not his team

That’s not what I’m saying that’s what you want other people to think. Lewis repeatedly questioned Merc’s decision not to pit on the team radio as everyone heard.

Masi was applying the rules within the goal of to ‘letting them race’, deciding the drivers title under a safety car goes against this, is bad for the spectacle of the sport and the race director has the final say over safety car rules.

Masi wanted the title to be decided by racing as would everyone here if Hamilton had managed to keep MV behind. LH fans have twisted that as proof that he wanted MV to win and there is plenty of evidence to the contrary for those willing to look and see beyond their bias. Not least ‘letting them race’ when Lewis got an advantage by cutting the track at the start. Unless Latifi’s crash was deliberate the result wasn’t engineered. Masi only had 2 options and no time to consider either carefully, finish it under the safety car (neither driver deserved to lose like that) or find a way to let them settle it on the track. Really hard on Lewis that a safety car took away his lead but they always do that. People talk about firing Masi but who would want the job? The regs can’t cover every eventuality and at some point you need the race director a human being to make a judgement call. I believe he did what he thought was in the sport’s best interests not MVs. Lewis has shown immense class in the cruellest of defeats, no problem admitting that MV would be unlikely to be so gracious.

Edited by jimichanga
  • Like 2

Former Formula 1 CEO Bernie Ecclestone has said Max Verstappen is the deserved world champion. “At a very young age, he has already been able to compete with Lewis Hamilton, one of the best drivers ever. Not just on the track, but also off it.”

That said the 91-year-old Briton in an interview with a media group from Munich. Verstappen decided in his favor on the last lap of the last Grand Prix. Ecclestone: „And that while the Mercedes team has gone out of its way to bully him, to upset him. Mercedes also has the best car at its disposal. That makes Verstappen's performance even more valuable. He makes the difference in the race.”

Ecclestone considers it incomprehensible that Mercedes does not seem to accept the defeat for the time being. “They probably build the best cars in the world. But with this attitude, they put scratches on their own star. That is very unwise.”

Ecclestone therefore calls Mercedes' behavior a joke. “Their team bosses try to influence race management decisions even during the race. The sport suffers as a result. Pure competition should come first. The drivers have provided great sport. It's a shame it's overshadowed in this way."

Edited by rudolphwolven

Do we know yet when the Merc appeal hearing may be. As I suppose we can carry on until then and beyond, all the way to the start of next season. 

Mercedes have to object by Thursday when the FIA 'party' takes place. However looks like mercedes won't be pursuing it any further

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

@jimichangaI am not particularly a LH fan so my views are not as biased as you might believe. (although LH has gained my respect for how he has handled the situation afterwards)

Masi’s application of the rules actually went against more than 1 of the rules, (see my link to Motorsport article which I think @C8RKHhas summarised above)

LH cut the corner early in the race because he was forced off the track, so by not being ordered to give the position back saved Masi from having to consider a time penalty for MV.

No, of course the race wasn’t rigged, and it is clear that Lafiti’s unfortunate accident put Masi in to a difficult situation. However he handled it very badly without using an ounce of common sense.

What Masi did at Spa was also beyond belief, a 2 lap “race” behind a safety car to be able to declare a result. He has demonstrated this season that he is unfit to be race director.

So, we have different opinions hence we will have to agree to disagree.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, jimichanga said:

That’s not what I’m saying that’s what you want other people to think. Lewis repeatedly questioned Merc’s decision not to pit on the team radio as everyone heard.

Masi was applying the rules within the goal of to ‘letting them race’, deciding the drivers title under a safety car goes against this, is bad for the spectacle of the sport and the race director has the final say over safety car rules.

Masi wanted the title to be decided by racing as would everyone here if Hamilton had managed to keep MV behind. LH fans have twisted that as proof that he wanted MV to win and there is plenty of evidence to the contrary for those willing to look and see beyond their bias. Not least ‘letting them race’ when Lewis got an advantage by cutting the track at the start. Unless Latifi’s crash was deliberate the result wasn’t engineered. Masi only had 2 options and no time to consider either carefully, finish it under the safety car (neither driver deserved to lose like that) or find a way to let them settle it on the track. Really hard on Lewis that a safety car took away his lead but they always do that. People talk about firing Masi but who would want the job? The regs can’t cover every eventuality and at some point you need the race director a human being to make a judgement call. I believe he did what he thought was in the sport’s best interests not MVs. Lewis has shown immense class in the cruellest of defeats, no problem admitting that MV would be unlikely to be so gracious.

You’re so biased toward MV it’s laughable 

6 minutes ago, pete said:

Hamilton will be Sir Lewis from Wednesday

Already is, perhaps made up to the house of lords.

1 hour ago, Simon Bateman said:

You may want to read Bernie's Twitter account from yesterday.

100% the opposite.

Are you sure you were reading "Bernies" Twitter feed and not one of the parodies!  Bernie was very definitely spouting off against Hamilton as he does not want his beloved Michael's record broken.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

Are you sure you were reading "Bernies" Twitter feed and not one of the parodies!  Bernie was very definitely spouting off against Hamilton as he does not want his beloved Michael's record broken.

Who knows....possibly.  I certainly dont follow him. He does seem to resent Lewis getting one more than Schumacher. 

If only Mercedes had pitted Hamilton for fresh, even if he lost the position, he would have been just behind on fresh tires, not sure he can’t overtake but he would have had a very good chance.

i feel really sorry for him. Quite unfortunate that Mercedes took the bet of a race finishing under safety car. 

On the positive side, this whole year has made him much more popular. 

• Like 2

Also big congratulations to Honda. They finally did it! After years of disrespectful RBR management continually bleating on about their engine suppliers (Renault & Honda), the likes of Horner and Co had little to complain about this year. In fact, contrary to what was originally intimated, Honda will still be manufacturing, supplying and supporting the engines to RBR from their Sakura factory in Japan next year, so that should keep RBR competitive in 2022. It won’t be until 2023 that RBR takes production in-house at Milton Keynes.

12 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Under FIA rules, hasn’t Schumacher’s record already been broken though.

This season if the drivers finished the championship level on points then it went to the driver with the most race victories (apparently including the victory from the race which never took place at Spa).

Hence by my application of FIA rules, LH & MS are level at 7 championships each but since LH has the impost race wins he must have broken MS’s record 🤔

• Like 1