Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Formula One - Page 5 - Motorsport - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Formula One

KAS-118

I have to admit Hamilton was on a different plane when it came to driving at the weekend. As usual the responses will be "because he has the best car" but people forget that F1 is a "team " sport and the drivers need to work with the team to get the overall package (team, car, drivers) working at the most optimal level especially when the margins in qualifying are so small.

I thought there was some good driving in Barcelona although a bit puzzled at Vettel getting driver of the day...

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• 2 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Why not as well?  The TV programme is like 80 minutes of ex drivers and analysis then the race. I generally plan race day so whatever I am doing (building a wall yesterday) I stop at 1355. Go inside, wash my hands, make lunch and am watching as the formation lap starts at 1410. Soon as the race is finished back out. Now, if they had the F2 action too, I'd watch for longer.

Does anyone actually watch the full programme?

Have to admit, to paraphrase one of my all time favourite sports commentators, "Hamilton is in imperious form just now".

No doubt the usual comments will follow that it's because he has the best car only and all other F1 champs were better as they didn't have the best car for their time.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Whilst Hamilton seems to be operating on a different level to everyone else Bottas is underperforming in the same car,however seems strange mercedes told him he couldn't change power options to chase Hamilton. Must be a worry to F1 to hear drivers saying they were bored on what should be one of the most entertaining tracks,witness the f2 race. Qualifying is more interesting and seems to dictate the final outcome of the actual race

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

How is Bottas "underperforming"?  minus the tyre blow out at Silverstone he has finished every race this year in 1st, 2nd or 3rd.  Hardly under performing surely?  Does that mean Verstappen is under performing too as his results have been remarkably similar to Bottas results?

I think Mercedes have a good overall package - too very good drivers, and a very good car. Red Bull has 1 very good driver, a very good car, and an under performing number 2 driver in Albon which is where their main problem is as they cannot put Mercedes under pressure on strategy with just one strong driver.

The current performance in F1 is not new - we had the Vettel years of domination (never heard Horner moan much then), the Schumacher years etc.  Great drivers with a great car - the whole package needs to be there. Look at Ferrari - Vettel and even LeClerq haven't just woken up and turned into shite drivers - the car is not working for them and so the confidence collapses and the results fall away....

Spa was boring, however, I still marvelled at the sheer excellence of the driving.  The biggest thing they need to fix is the tyres and stop all those laps of "tyre management"..... It's not Pirelli's fault as my understanding is they delivered on the brief F1 gave them as F1 wanted to have the "spicyness" of pit stops....

• Like 2

The small print.

I would think the expression on Bottas face each weekend (save the opening GP) confirms he is under-performing.  

Being nearly 0.5 seconds off your team mate, consistently, cannot really be considered anything other than under-performing, especially as he was closer in previous years. Rosberg found a way to beat Hamilton, Bottas needs to do the same. He has a contract for 2021, he needs to push Hamilton off the track in any marginal situation to show his elbows - otherwise he has no realistic hope of winning a championship. That is how Rosberg played it with ultimate success. Nico got lucky in the end but had he not disrupted Lewis during the season, he would never have been in the position to benefit from a Hamilton engine failure (that ultimately probably cost Lewis the title in 2016).

There is a brilliant article on BBC website about Hamilton qualifying in 2020 compared to 2019.

Justin

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jep said:

I would think the expression on Bottas face each weekend (save the opening GP) confirms he is under-performing.

It could show several things including disappointment. Frustration. Anger. Disillusionment even. I agree he is not where he wants to be, but he could be performing at his limit (and so not under-performing) but his limit just is not good enough to beat Hamilton.

I think the way Rosberg won his only World Championship was unsporting. There were engineer changes to undermine Hamilton and Rosberg's tactics where dubious at best and he would never have won in a straight fight. But he got what he wanted (as did Mercedes with a "German" in a German car), his one WDC title and let's be honest he was never going to get another one which is why he retired. Winning that, and beating Hamilton, took an awful lot out of Rosberg and he was finished.  But then I may be biased as I was never a Rosberg fan, he just came across as a spoilt brat.

F1 needs to do something to get the racing closer though. Tyre and heat management means cars cannot follow close for long and so that kills the close racing.  Would be interesting to see who would win with the racing much closer. Would Verstappen take too many risks and crash too often? Would Hamilton not have the balls to really stick his elbows out and mix it up close? Would it allow drivers like Ricciardo and LeCelrq the chance to really mix it with their controlled aggressive styles?

The small print.

I think this is all a touch unfair to Rosbergs driving skill - he really aced a good number of qualifiers and races that season.  Part of the sport is about getting the upper hand on your teammate and he capitalised on Hamiltons weaknesses: how he deals with failure (not winning) and how he deals with anything that may make him feel he is being treated unfairly (which can be really small things or anything not aligned with him winning)

I've no doubt as well that their friendship and history affected Lewis too; as it did Rosberg.

In 2011, again Jenson well and truly had the upper hand on him and that stemmed not from his qualifying pace but from his support network; 'Team Jenson' on the otherside of the garage from Lewis comprised an outgoing and charismatic bunch of people, including Jensons dad and I do think that unsettled Lewis who has a totally different approach to racing than Jenson. Lewis learnt a lot about race strategy from Jenson that year.

If Lewis had a teammate like Verstappen, Ricardo or even Norris, then we'd be seeing a different Lewis for sure.  Bottas is a great and consistent driver, his downfall is that he compliments Lewis' own approach to racing (by not getting in his way) and Mercedes know that which is what Mercedes want.

If we want to see exciting racing, then we need to have teammates who will rile each other!

• 2 weeks later...

I see that Racing Point, soon to be known as Aston Martin, have ditched Perez in order to field Vettel. It's been rather apparent to me for this and the last season at least that Seb's gone off his game, whatever that was when at its best. I predict more of the same in 2021, and hope Sergio finds a ride worthy of his speed and consistent delivery of results. 

• Like 1

The small print.

I do agree, Seb is below his own standard at the moment, but I do think Ferrari are responsible for it.  I don't think they are a nice team to work for in the slightest, and I've no doubt from my own experience in the past of how toxic work environments can be that he's been affected by whatever conversations, arguments, vibes and insinuations have happened there.  On the plus side they are producing fabulous road cars at the moment!

Perez in my opinion has failed to shine over the many years he's been in F1, so I can see why Stroll is thinking to mix it up a bit.  Sebs a great character in the sport so I'm glad he's sticking around

Shame for Perez, he’s produced some good performances over the years, and he deserves a decent drive. But they can’t be many doors open for him.

If I had to make a prediction, unless something miraculous happens, I’d say Lance Stroll will out-gun Vettel next year.

Margate Exotics.

Yeah there's a good chance at that, I've been pleasantly surprised that he's stepped up this year (and some good drives last year too).  I thought he did some great overtakes at Monza - seems good on the brakes (but then they are a copy of Mercedes 😂)

At the same time, he's not worried about his place in the team so he can properly get his head down, enjoy the racing and do his best. Unlike Seb at Ferrari

3 hours ago, Techyd said:

Sebs a great character in the sport so I'm glad he's sticking around

Proven to not be a good team mate though over the years. I think he's a bit like Alonso. Great when he is 100% getting his own way. A complete T@@T when he is not. I am however sure that outside of F1 he is a really nice guy and that does seem to be the general feedback.

• Like 2

The small print.

I can’t imagine that Perez is going to have a problem finding another drive. He’s the perfect choice for a mid-grid F1 team. Fast, consistent and brings a large wad of cash. What’s not to like? I bet Haas have been on the phone already.

Clearly Vettel is completely demotivated at Ferrari at the moment, hopefully he’ll re-find his mojo at Aston Martin. I’m pleased he’s staying in F1.

• Like 1

Perez would be good for Haas and or Renault. He is a good driver. Consistent. Well liked and I believe the engineers rate his feedback.

Shame Williams have gone (the family) as Perez comes with strong sponsorship money and actually he could have been just what they needed alongside one of the young boys.

• Like 1

The small print.