Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
BBC - Again! - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

BBC - Again!

PaulCP

This is getting so fcuking absurd, the BBC somehow manage to surpass their idiotic ideals once again. Why not just permanently obliterate all UK history & start again in 2020 :stuart:

Really is time to call time on them :2guns:Note that, as yet, they haven’t had the balls to report this on their own news channel 

https://news.sky.com/story/last-night-of-the-proms-rule-britannia-and-land-of-hope-and-glory-face-the-axe-12054958

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They should drop British from the name & replace it with Snowflake to become the SBC 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cheers,

John W

• Gold FFM

The Biased Broadcasting Company. The Backless Broadcasting Company perhaps.

It's a real shame what the BBC has become. It's revenue model is outdated and it's about time it competed fairly with the other players instead of forcing (by means of imprisonment) the public to pay for it.

Signature not working...

If you have principles you don't have to pay. You can remove TV receivers from your property and not pay the TV licence. You can get your entertainment and current affairs from other forms of broadcasting media. You don't have to consume BBC output.

Everybody has the right to form their own opinions and whinge and moan and moan and moan. Personally, I find all the hooters and bells and whistles from the audience at the last night of the proms irritating, so won't miss them. That is, if I am watching it.... I might have switched to another channel.

It's not just TV receivers. If you watch TV as it is being broadcast, or use iPlayer (even if watching on iPlayer in onbly catch-up mode) then you need a TV License. Full stop.

Same goes for things like ITV Hub etc - if you watch live TV as being broadcast you need a licence.

I agree you can get this from other forms but the point is the BBC is supposed to be the national public broadcaster. It is supposed to represent "Britain" and it is supposed to be impartial etc. You can always "ignore" this thread if the whinging and moan, moan, moaning bothers you so much! :rofl::whistle:

• Like 2

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

The BBCs historic remit is to inform, educate and entertain which it does.

It's current mission statement goes a bit further than that.

https://www.bbc.com/aboutthebbc/governance/mission

I could ignore this thread but once I have read something I am a sucker for rising to the bait. Up to a point - there are some threads that I ignore. Generally this forum is a really good read with some interesting people.

I hope I have not offended anybody, but if I have I do apologise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

See nothing you have posted that could or should offend anyone to be honest @mg4lotus, you're merely stating your views which is fine.

My own view is that the BBC has been in violation of major parts of its charter for some time and frankly, I'd like to see it beaten into submission to get back to that charter:

In my opinion it ceased being impartial a long time ago with its news reporting and it's move away from reflecting the United Kingdoms culture and value at home and to the world is I think what kicked started this thread by @PaulCP. Either that or he forgot to take his meds this morning!  :)

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

I used to support the BBC when it created good content and reported the news... Now I think it needs to be canned. It's outlived it's purpose. I don't watch it anymore outside of very occasional sports coverage. Everything else I consume online and would rather spend the money on the sports coverage elsewhere than on the TV license!

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

Oh and yes, if they ban these songs, what is the point anymore, we might as well just change out flag to a grey square and accept our place as a nation with no identity

• Like 2

To be fair and balanced. There are some things the BBC still does as good as anyone else, arguably better, in instances like the "living Planet" and other such series.

However, with inflated salaries of mediocre "news people" - I watch the breakfast news programme but they (Dan, Louise, Nagga, Charlie etc) are hardly hard hitting journo's so when they do get politicians on it is often they are "reading questions from a script" and when they do try to go off piste (usually Nagga) and dig deeper it is a car crash!!!

I do think that in these days of: poor parenting, obesity, covid, lack of aspiration and other social problems the BBC should return to some of it's earlier activities to promote positively good citizenship, practices, etc to generally help the nation get to where it needs to be.  instead, it will I suspect continue to crash down Snowflake Alley and left wing political bias. It's such a shame as the BBC could be so much more relevant for everyone and politically neutral to provide a much more balanced view (which is a key part of its charter too)!

• Like 2

The small print.

Can you imagine a world with no nations and no religions. Nothing to kill or die for... This is where I break out into a song.

To be fair, I wouldn't want the songs removed pseudo-political reasons but would be happy to see them go if it means no more hooters, bells and whistles.

• Like 1

Lets keep it Civil pleeeeease!

But I agree. They are a bunch of namby pamby snowflakes who are influenced by Political correctness rather than by the Majority of it's viewers.

I don't agree it should be gone. I DO agree it should be funded by other means like advertising. That way those who dislike them as much as I do sometimes, can avoid them.

I have always been a massive supporter of the BBC but what I considered their bias on brexit fueled my dislike to where I could no longer listen to the BBC news or Radio 5 live. My go to channels. Since then they have gone down such a poor route that I rarely watch or listen anymore. Talksport and Sky News are now my go to channels. Especially when it comes to reporting on Police matters where they even edited pictures to make Police look bad and those attacking them look good.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

The story has now been reported on by the BBC https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53888209

"BBC Proms refused to confirm or deny the story.

"We are still finalising arrangements for the Last Night of the Proms so that we are able to respond to the latest advice in regards to Covid-19 and deliver the best offering possible for audiences," a spokesman told BBC News, noting that full details will be announced nearer the time."

2 hours ago, mg4lotus said:

I hope I have not offended anybody, but if I have I do apologise.

Not me, it takes a lot before I become offended. I just don’t seem to fit with today’s snowflake society of having to be offended before anyone passes a comment 🙄. Fortunately most, if not everyone, on here are the same👍

1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

In my opinion it ceased being impartial a long time ago with its news reporting and it's move away from reflecting the United Kingdoms culture and value at home and to the world is I think what kicked started this thread by @PaulCP. Either that or he forgot to take his meds this morning!  :)

Yep, that just about sums it up........................apart from the bit about my morning meds. When I do forget to take them I always have SWMBO to nag, I mean remind me!

i actually posted at 13.53 so my grumpy pills had well and truly taken effect by then 😛

BTW Andy, I don’t thing I’ll  be attending the VX National this year😟

• Love 1

• Gold FFM
3 hours ago, mg4lotus said:

The BBCs historic remit is to inform, educate and entertain which it does.

We shall definitely agree to differ on that fact

Only here once

3 hours ago, Kimbers said:

I DO agree it should be funded by other means like advertising.

I fundamentally disagree with this. 100%

The BBC as a concept is fantastic. A national broadcasting service that IS NOT political. IS balanced in its reporting. Funding by the people rather than wealthy individuals to push their political point of view etc. What a fantastic and such a "British" approach to things. Pity they have fundamentally forgotten this.

3 hours ago, PaulCP said:

BTW Andy, I don’t thing I’ll  be attending the VX National this year😟

Me neither Paul. However, any chance we could see you at the TLF xmas do? Always a good night and I'll come down from Scotlandshire if you can make it.

And IF quarantine is over - in my neck of the woods here in Scotland they are currently falling like flies around a cow pattie!

• Like 1

The small print.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/08/2020 at 09:40, C8RKH said:

It's not as simple as that as whether you watch it or listen to it or not, you PAY FOR IT....

Isn't that alos true of commercial stations as their advertisers pass the cost onto their customers?

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

No.

The small print.

I find it extraordinary that in the internet age I’m forced by law to subscribe to the BBC in order to be to watch ANY live TV. I can’t think of a single thing I watch on the BBC. It should be forced to privatise and either go commercial or adopt a subscription model. The whole notion of a national broadcaster is out of date and the BBC has completely lost its way.

Hopefully it will be on the governments agenda when Covid and Brexit are sorted.

• Like 1