Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Coronavirus - Page 41 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Coronavirus

Barrykearley

• Gold FFM

For some reason I can't view the video of the guy playing the piano or the cop one via TLF. I can see the one with the guy playing the piano if I copy the link and view via Facepalm, I mean Facebook.

The cop one is just blank on Facebook. Video been removed?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I guess the plan is to supply the paper by cutting down the New Forest to stop ppl gathering there....about as much use as filling a pond with dye

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Gold FFM

Ok. Layman here.

I am hoping that there are some medical types can answer this.

The general consensus is that COVID-19 has come from bats. Bats we would not have come into contact, but for the fact that we keep expanding our habitation.

So given that viruses may mutate outside a host, what is the chance that the COVID-19 infects another species of animal, the virus then mutates drastically and then is passed onto a human host.

Would we then be looking at Round 2?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

So is everyone still shitting themselves about CV-19? I guess they must be, otherwise toilet roll would be back on the shelves by now. What’s everyone doing with it? We’ve only managed to buy one 4 pack since the panic buying started. We gave that to our 80 year-old mother-in-law.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ramjet said:

what is the chance that the COVID-19 infects another species of animal?

Coronaviruses and similar viruses are known for their ability to jump between species - which is why bill gates talked about them as a prime suspect for the next epidemic back in 2014 (See prev - worth watching if you haven't seen it)

Here is the link again:

https://www.ted.com/talks/bill_gates_the_next_outbreak_we_re_not_ready?language=en

The chances of a global pandemic at some point have always been high,  due to mass transit, and the chances of it being a coronavirus (e.g.cold)or orthomyxovirus (e.g.flu) very strong.

Next time we might be ready.

I think you won't be allowed to fly with a temperature in the near future, like you can't fly with knives after 911, or with guns after the 1970s hijacking spree.

1 hour ago, ramjet said:

So given that viruses may mutate outside a host, what is the chance that the COVID-19 infects another species of animal, the virus then mutates drastically and then is passed onto a human host.

Would we then be looking at Round 2?

Unfortunately I think it’s inevitable we will face a second wave like Spanish flu in 1917/1918. Let’s just hope the vaccine is available before then or something to at least reduce the effect. 
Worrying and tough times ahead for all especially the poorer countries 😢

Dave :) 

• Sad 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

A little story from Copenhagen. A big Danish company receives an order to produce 10.000 bottles of alcogel for Danish Copenhagen placed pharmacies. Then they are made, to go to the Copenhagen pharmacies, but never gets there, as there is another bigger chinese customer who orders the batch, have it specially labeled, is then shipped. So, the pharmacies never receives the shipment to distribute amongst all the Copenhagen pharmacies. The Danish authorities shortly before that, forbid the pharmacies to sell alcogel, as they want it to flow to the hospitals for the prep. of the future corona crisis. What they don't realise is though, that they don't forbid this practice for private sellers such as local grocery market shops. So, instead they are bought up via a middle man, who are asked by chinese officials to keep buying up supplies for use in china, as the corona at that point was much worse in china, than in rest of world. But at that point, the chinese are restructuring, so the chinese businessman, here in Denmark, sells his 30dkr - 3,5gbp per bottle, for 33 dkr per bottle to another local businessman, who distributes groceries to middle eastern owned and controlled grocery-shops in Copenhagen. Here, the new businessman raises the price from 33,- dkr to 90,- dkr per bottle, to another middle eastern tradesman, who then raises the price to 100,- dkr. per bottle. He then, sells them on to local shops, who offers them to customers in individual shops, for 110,- dkr. per bottle. We are now far into the corona spreading in Denmark. Meanwhile, the danish authorities locks down the normal official distrution channels of said product, to keep supplies directed to hospitals and private practioners (doctors). And at that chain, there are no alcogel to get. Hospitals are down to near zero alcogel, as similar stories have ended up with large quantities ordered from Germany, in some african countries, and world market prices on alcogel are now multidoubling. Danish authorities goes together with other european countries, incl. the UK, and try to buy big supplies to distribute amongst the countries. but to no avail. The local businessmen mentioned, prefers to sell to local shops  and instead doctors and nurses are getting infected with potentially deadly corona virus. All 10.000 bottles were labeled especially with a specific Danish language sticker made only for that batch, as the original chinese receiver wanted that to prove to chinese customers, that this is a Danish made quality product, thereby overruling the chinese made inferrior product which was already available, because of chinese reorganisation. This was explained by the chinese receiver and the Danish producer. The special labeled batch mentioned here, are tracable, except that the middle eastern businessmen won't expose some of their local dealers and suppliers.

I am not blaming anyone in this story. But I am demonstrating how things work, when people smell money, rather than helping the society in which they live, and which also offers them school, education, hospital treatment, firedepartment, streetlight, sanitation, and a lot more. Greed has no name, and no shame.

This was brought by a big Danish tvstation and newspapers, with names, company names etc. this morning. As a consequence, Danish authorities are now looking into the matter, and possily forbidding anyone else but legal pharmacies, to sell alcogel.

Kind regards.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

I see the Chinese are building a virtual wall around the country, stopping a foreigners from entering.

Pity they didn’t see fit back on Jan to stop their own people from travelling the world. There were reports in Jan/Feb of them travelling to Europe knowing they had temperatures and then bragging on social media that they escaped temperature checks by dosing up on paracetamol.

• Like 1

Not the same, but in Romania, many people are now scared of saying to a doctor, that they have synptoms of corona virus, so they try and hide it, in any way possible. They fear how the authorities are treating them, and they fear, that if they are hospitalised, they will have a lesser chance of becoming healthy, as they lack protection, equipment, ventilators, the lot. Weather this is a fact or not, noone says, but fear is controlling a lot of behaviour these days. Rich people though, can have special treatment in private hospitals. Ordinary masses do not have this possibility, unless they get the money to pay. Public hospitals are free, private are not. But at least Romania was fairly quick to shut the country down, and forbid people outside, unless absolutely necessary and with a propper pass-note. Lots of heavily armed soldiers and police, plus paramilitary police in the streets. Fees are now 10000 dkr - 1200 gbp per person, per violation, and when one thinks of the average income per capita, that's a seriously high fee, which is between 1-5 months income depending.

My trip to drive the Esprit through the Carpathians, through Trans Fagarashan and Trans Alpina (absolute greatest mountain drives), are postponed untill further notice, possibly next year. We'll see.

Kind regards,

jacques

• Sad 3

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• Gold FFM

This lockdown is bloody tiring. Cleared the hay barn this morning of the left over mess and junk - the monster fire is now dying down and I’ve been periodically raking it into a smaller pile.

This afternoon - I’ll me moving the spitfire in there and prepping the garage 😬. Trying to look on the positives and getting as much done at home as possible.

• Like 1

Only here once

18 hours ago, Bibs said:

The cops have added some black dye to a lake in the Peaks to make it less Instagrammable!! Great use of resources!

If that's the quarry lake I think it is it then it regularly gets dyed black to put people off from swimming in it. People ignore the warning signs about how dangerous it is (highly alkaline).

If the weather there is anything like it is here, then black, blue or any attractive colour there'd not be many people heading there unless it were heated by underground thermal vents,  here it's flipping cold, windy with frequent balls of ice falling.

1 hour ago, tom kilner said:

I use a stick: the tape measure won't stay up at 2 metres☹

At least then should anybody get too near, you can whack them with the stick. ACBC would approve of that, using one component to do the job of 2. :thumbup:

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
42 minutes ago, tom kilner said:

Yes, have you ever tried hitting somebody with a tape measure?☹

No, but it sounds fun, almost kinda kinky. Will ask the missus to beat me with a tape measure tonight. Gotta have something to look forward to.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

3 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

This lockdown is bloody tiring. Cleared the hay barn this morning of the left over mess and junk - the monster fire is now dying down and I’ve been periodically raking it into a smaller pile.

This afternoon - I’ll me moving the spitfire in there and prepping the garage 😬. Trying to look on the positives and getting as much done at home as possible.

Pollution levels were falling until you lit your bloody bonfire - now the poor cows will get the blame again !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Gold FFM
3 minutes ago, gregs24 said:

Pollution levels were falling until you lit your bloody bonfire - now the poor cows will get the blame again !

I cannot possibly share the video

Only here once