Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Coronavirus - Page 104 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Coronavirus

Barrykearley

yes fill every pot, pan, bucket tec.... If you watch an American  prepper video on you tube, you will discover don't worry about food or drink or fuel just weapons.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

So the City takes the national govt to court as it says the lockdown is illegal AND unnecessary. They win against the National Govt!

So the National Govt announces a State Emergency and locks the City down anyway.

Look, is it just me or is there just a bit a cynicism that people/Gvts are using some of this for their own ends? I don't disagree that its serious here and things need to be done but this looks just like politicking to me!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54478320

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Covid virus ‘survives for 28 days’ on hard surfaces.

Is it just me or should we have known this 29 days after the outbreak??

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54500673

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

• Gold FFM

As ever - bbc reporting - clearly ignoring scientific evidence which shows the virus is killed by uv light - or sun/daylight. There’s a loads of different factors - but 28days appears to be the scientific absolute maximum that’s currently known about. 

scotland however wont be virus free faster - since the sun never comes out 👍

Only here once

Actually @Barrykearley on this one (worth calling it out as an exception) the BBC did clearly state those bits of scientific evidence. They called out that some scientists think the surface transmission is not a big threat, the specifically stated it was an experiment in the dark and that UV is known to kill it etc. So for that bit they were balanced, just reporting that it was technically possible in lab conditions.

We could suggest that it's rather pointless to report it, but I guess if it isn't reported than people will somehow find out about it and not get the balanced picture. Another way of looking at it is, it's very much a non-story and they just needed content so had to report on it.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

The headline certainly wasn’t reflecting of the facts in the full article though. No point in spoiling a good story with the truth.

Sadly this style of sensational reporting is more the norm now for the bbc rather than good quality rounded headlines

Only here once

Weekly coronavirus cases double in Welwyn Hatfield 

to 41 - Population of Welwyn Hatfield, around 125,000, so 0.0% to 1 decimal place. - wow!

Beds occupied for the NHS area - 4, catchment population 600,000 - double wow!!

Article not open to comments unfortunately.

• Haha 1

Well considering the UK Govt considers a rate of 20 cases per 100,000 to be the upper limit for allowing quarantine-free travel back from other countries, it looks like I won’t be holidaying in Welwyn Garden City any time soon with your 33 cases per 100,000! Seriously though that’s a relatively low number at the current time.

• Gold FFM

Sounds like the night of the walking dead there @ChrisJ it’s very possibly the most dangerous place on earth.  I bet it’s just like the set of “outbreak” with helicopters and the army in bio suits

Only here once

Sounds like one of those electrostatic filters with UV light added would be a good addition /replacement to a MERV 14 filter for the HVAC house filter.

The East & North Herts NHS trust has had 79 patients in total admitted with this virus since March.

And this is a virus so deadly that you have to be tested to see if you have had it

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kimbers said:

Covid virus ‘survives for 28 days’ on hard surfaces.

Is it just me or should we have known this 29 days after the outbreak??

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54500673

To me that’s just usual negative swipe.

The headline should  have read - Covid virus ‘dies after 28 days in lab conditions’.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

So with stricter local CV-19 measures being announced everyday, do we think that this second wave would not have happened (or at least not as quickly) if everyone had followed the previous rules? We got it down to a negligible level after the first wave and now seem to have thrown all that good work away, so here we go again.

I can’t help but think that Boris is not being tough enough on this and that the likes of Andy Burnham are just being irresponsible.

I hope that the likes of Burnham will have the guts to face up to the relatives of those who depart this world through this virus whilst he and others engage in their political games.

Perhaps if Andy Burnham had been as vociferous about people disobeying the rules Manchester wouldn't be in the position it is now

• Like 2

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Daft thing is, all three of these Tiers are nothing like the lockdown we had for months earlier this year. Schools, Colleges and Universities will remain open, non essential shops will remain open, people will travel to work, people are free to walk around as they wish, the vulnerable can go out, you can play outdoor team sports, your missus can even take you out to a restaurant or treat you to a naughty night in a hotel!

We will pretty much all be in Tier 3 sooner or later, so we may as well just get on with it and try get it done. Otherwise there’ll soon be a Tier 4 added, similar to what we had last time.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Yes, she will have to be there due to the social distancing rules applicable to people from another household. If you like, you can always spice things up a little by calling out your ex’s name.

Oh, not Sister-in-Law's name? I thought that was always a good way to get discussions going at the next family get together.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2020 at 12:48, andydclements said:

Actually @Barrykearley on this one (worth calling it out as an exception) the BBC did clearly state those bits of scientific evidence. They called out that some scientists think the surface transmission is not a big threat, the specifically stated it was an experiment in the dark and that UV is known to kill it etc. So for that bit they were balanced, just reporting that it was technically possible in lab conditions.

We could suggest that it's rather pointless to report it, but I guess if it isn't reported than people will somehow find out about it and not get the balanced picture. Another way of looking at it is, it's very much a non-story and they just needed content so had to report on it.

UV light is already used to disinfect surfaces overnight in hospital theatres etc. The interesting development is that a specific wavelength of uv light has been found to kill viruses etc yet also be safe for humans. Lamps are under development now and will enable public areas to be permanently UV illuminated so reducing viral spread.

• Like 1