Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Coronavirus - Page 32 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Coronavirus

Barrykearley

Boris’ mixed message about only going to work if you can’t work from home and your work is “essential” is already causing grief for me. Most of my customers (manufacturers and their supply chain, but not medical) are taking that to mean it’s OK to carry on working with a limited number of essential staff for the time-being, whereas one has today shut up shop for the duration with everyone now at home.

3 hours ago, scotty435 said:

No it is not it’s because they are not doing what they are told and locking down.

I live in Central London near Old Street, there are three big building contracts still working full throttle near me. The nose of construction in the new quiet is terrible.

One is a huge Berkeley Homes contract, another laying fibre optic cable in streets and the other a smaller luxury apartment build. 100's of construction workers nearby come in on the tube, nearly only way to get to work from outer London and they are 'need' to earn money. No work = no money but that means hugely increased CVirus problems.

The biggest culprits are the construction companies keeping everything running, I am staying home on own and respecting what is required. The local food shops also really busy with lunch/drink buying. Michael Gove said this morning construction should continue albeit with self space awareness. Yeah right thats going to happen. 

If they stop the works the tubes etc would be so much queiter and things might actually improve for the rest of us.

Taylor wimpy are closing construction sites. Was on lunchtime news. 

• Like 1

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

16 minutes ago, Sizona said:

I live in Central London near Old Street, there are three big building contracts still working full throttle near me. The nose of construction in the new quiet is terrible.

One is a huge Berkeley Homes contract, another laying fibre optic cable in streets and the other a smaller luxury apartment build. 100's of construction workers nearby come in on the tube, nearly only way to get to work from outer London and they are 'need' to earn money. No work = no money but that means hugely increased CVirus problems.

The biggest culprits are the construction companies keeping everything running, I am staying home on own and respecting what is required. The local food shops also really busy with lunch/drink buying. Michael Gove said this morning construction should continue albeit with self space awareness. Yeah right thats going to happen. 

If they stop the works the tubes etc would be so much queiter and things might actually improve for the rest of us.

Agree with everything you have just said, yes people do need to earn money and most of the employees on these sites are subcontractors and self-employed the government need urgently to bring in measures to help these people, as for carrying on working or risk infecting 1000s more people there is only one option in my opinion, only to work if it’s essential and building luxury apartments surely doesn’t fit into that criteria, please keep safe it must very worrying travelling anywhere in London at the moment.

2 hours ago, Sparky said:

This is real; I have a friend in the office that released it.

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloads/pdf/imm/covid-sex-guidance.pdf

Every day is a school day as they say. Today's I learned that the US spelling drops the "a" from faeces.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, scotty435 said:

the government need urgently to bring in measures to help these people

Being debated as we type in the Commons:

Last week Chancellor Rishi Sunak promised to cover 80% of workers’ wages to prevent employers from laying them off as more and more people began to self-isolate due to Covid-19. Questions remained over how many self-employed people would put food on the table until a new amendment submitted by Liberal Democrat MP Munira Wilson give them peace of mind. Previously the only assurance given to people who work for themselves was that they could claim £94.25 a week in Statutory Sick Pay, leaving many panicking over how they could cover their costs. But if accepted, the proposed change to the bill would see freelancers and self-employed people paid 80% of their net monthly earnings averaged over the last three years, or £2,917, whichever is lower.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Meanwhile, in the wonderful fairy land that is Scotland it will take another week just to stop parking charges at the hospitals that still have it!  Priceless... And still the politician spins it with "we can't have barriers to staff working in the NHS" - so just suspend the charges right now. Just do it! Go on. You know you can....   Unbelievable... Only in Scotland with its "progressive" approach to politics yadda yadda...

Health Secretary Jeane Freeman told Holyrood that charges will halted for three months at Dundee’s Ninewells Hospital, Glasgow Royal Infirmary and Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.

The charges will be scrapped from Monday March 30 onwards.

Ms Freeman said: “We can’t have barriers to staff working in the NHS.”

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Absolutely 100% agree. But the NHS managers exploit their own people. Nice...

• Like 1

The small print.

1 hour ago, andydclements said:

Every day is a school day as they say. Today's I learned that the US spelling drops the "a" from faeces.

I was just stuffing a mackerel sandwich in my gob as I got to the second point in section 3. Had to stop for a breather.

• Haha 2

Margate Exotics.

1 man van - so self isolating but an "essential service", hmmm, really!

The small print.

This picture was taken from a newspaper site, headline was Police start to disperse groups or more than 2 people. One question: WTF are they not wearing masks to protect themselves and the people they are dispersing and why are they observing the 2 metre rule? Are they immune already?

Officer break up groups of more than two people in Manchester

The small print.

On a more Lotus-y note, I visited this forum today wondering if anyone had any thoughts along the lines of:

• Lotus on the driveway/in the garage
  • Roads are pretty much empty
  • Petrol is apparently getting cheaper
  • Driving doesn't (usually) involve close contact with other people
  • The sun is out and the roads are dry

...anyone else see where I'm going (possibly literally!) here? Would it be selfish/unreasonable/silly to 'take the long route' if I need to buy something essential? The only problem that could arise would be if any of this resulted in hospitalisation as a result of a silly crash.

I've looked out of the window a few times today, to get an idea of the traffic today on the A47 Southern Bypass, I saw lots of lorries and a few vans in the morning, and nearing 5pm could see a lot more cars than vans, but not once have I seen a police car, nor has there been anywhere near the level of traffic I'd normally see. Not saying you should, just that there's little chance anybody would know if you did.

• Like 1