Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Who will buy a 131? - Page 11 - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Who will buy a 131?

PAR

Last Friday there where 2 places left for deposit holders one on Friday and one Saturday for a run up the hill at Goodwood in the Emira. Any deposit holders interested in a run I suggest you speak to your dealer holding your deposit asp.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Dobbin145 said:

There is a bit of gulf, specifically around the Emira launch, between the dealer network and Lotus right now. This may be deliberate on Lotus behalf to keep the Emira under wraps until launch.

I suspect this is the reason.  I believe most UK dealers have had the chance to see an Emira at the factory.  Others have had a briefing but probably little or no pics circulated to avoid leaks.

it also looks like the factory are running everything at Goodwood and dealers aren’t involved. 

11 minutes ago, TomE said:

I suspect this is the reason.  I believe most UK dealers have had the chance to see an Emira at the factory.  Others have had a briefing but probably little or no pics circulated to avoid leaks.

US dealers, at least my local dealer were shown at least one crappy picture of the Emira.  I think it's great that Lotus et al have been able to keep this under wraps.  As much as I'd like to see it ahead of time, I'd rather see a proper unveiling at their name sake event at Goodwood. 

Could a bigger marque been able to pull off the same?

If the car is not from the UK or Italy; it's not worth talking about.

My local dealer was at the factory last week and they wouldn’t allow him to see the car and yet Sam from Seen through Glass the YouTuber said on his last podcast that he had seen the car at the factory and even showed some pictures of car to his mate on the same podcast, but said he was under strict embargo not to say anything 6th.

I registered then have had a couple of emails from Lotus Silverstone, the last one on Saturday inviting me to a livestream launch at their site next Tuesday evening.. tempted.. but just can't make it.

I still think there is a huge elephant in the room re the 131/Emira and future sales.  So, firstly, I am super excited by the 131/Emira. I hugely want it to be a great looking, sounding and driving car. That should be a given for us all.

However, and this is a very big elephant in the room which I think is more pertinent to current Elise/Exige owners who may be considering a 131/Emira as their next purchase, as opposed and specifically Evora owners.  And that is the lack of a convertible/roofless option.

I'd be really interested in hearing from current Elise/Exige owners as to how much of a deal breaker this may be for them, or if it has contributed to them sitting on the fence.

I do think Lotus lost a significant number of Evora sales over the 10 years it was available by not releasing the "targa" variant. I think it really hurt the cars sales and probably should have been released as part of the switch to the 4xx model range around 5 years ago. The fact they didn't means, I believe, less of an issue for current Evora owners to move to an Emira as a FHC.

Anyway, interested in the thoughts on this from current "open top" Lotus owners considering the trade.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

OK mister I'll go first. 

I have an Exige 410 Sport and i never take the roof off.  Why? well i far prefer the look of the exige with the roof on.  I also prefer the look of the non-430 cup cars with a colour matched roof -- mine is colour matched.  Only the 430 cup IMO looks right with a contrasting roof and that is because it has that very clever black trim on the roll hoop and high on the sides to unite its black roof with the carbon rear decklid.

IMO the soft top cheapens the look of the exige and the fully open appearance messes with the scale and proportions in a way that somehow spoils the visual balance. 

Now i accept none of the negative comments above need to apply to a well-designed new car which may look superb with the roof off.  But it does apply perfectly to my position as an Exige owner who would not hesitate to swap from my hard top to another hard top without a sense of loss of openness.

Full disclosure: my first Exige was a 350 and i had the soft top conversion from new and i only had the hard top on once - when i drove the car to swap it for my 410.  I loved the open roof driving experience but i found the visual a bit lacking and only when i put the hard top back on to part with the car did i go 'oh wow! it looks so much better with the hard top on'.

@C8RKH I'm may be the exception but the convertible thing really isn't an issue for me. Although I have an Exige I have never taken the roof (other than to stop it squeaking) not least because the car is registered as a coupe. In fact I was considering buying an Evora until I found out that the Emira is actually closer to my budget than I thought. If the Emira doesn't impress (which I doubt) that is still an option.

I've had several Elises over the years so to a degree feel I've ticked that box.

• Like 1

Elise 250 Cup owner here, constantly thinking of going back (for the 3rd time!) to a V6 Exige, and strongly tempted to put down a deposit for an Emira. The lack of a soft top on the Emira is definitely a negative for me, it's one of the reasons I haven't put down a deposit -  that and the rumours that the 4 banger is auto only.

In my own mind I'm clear about one thing, the Emira is NEVER going to be a replacement for an Elise. However, if it sits neatly between the Exige and the Evora I will probably take a look in a couple of years, for use as a daily and as my last ICE car purchase.

• Like 1

Hiya Dunc!  We met at the LiTP promo filming.  I fell for your stunning Kwacka Green Cup.  I was waking the dead in MIG 191 - we chatted for some time 🙂  I think the Elise and the Emira are likely to be very well suite as a 2+ car garage -- more so than an Exige and Emira i imagine.  This it seems aligns very well with your own thinking above.

BTW what is an ICE car @duncx?

Edited by Jcx

Hi Joe, I can still see/hear you now scorching away from that layby :lol:

ICE = Internal Combustion Engine

Two Lotus garage sounds perfect to me :)

• Like 1

Across the 3 Exige I owned the roof was always off. Hasn’t stopped me putting a deposit down on Emira though, as just see it as another model which happens to be a fixed top.   Anyway have the Radical for proper open top motoring ;) 

• Like 1

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

2 hours ago, duncx said:

Hi Joe, I can still see/hear you now scorching away from that layby :lol:

ICE = Internal Combustion Engine

Two Lotus garage sounds perfect to me :)

Glad to have left my 'memory' 🙂

21 hours ago, TomE said:

it also looks like the factory are running everything at Goodwood and dealers aren’t involved. 

Yep. That is my belief.

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

2 hours ago, Pugwash said:

What makes you think there will not be an open version?

Not never, but not at launch. All of the interviews have said it will be FHC as far as I have seen.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Another nugget - looks lIke I will have to keep an eye out for when to put a deposit on a GT4 version! :)

I am delighted there is no targa option - because it would just cause anguish when i see one having bought a hard top.

• Like 2

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel