Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Michelin PS4S being fitted today - Questions... - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Michelin PS4S being fitted today - Questions...

Go to solution Solved by Bibs,

I’m having a set of PS4S fitted to my 18/19 wheels today.  Couple of questions...

TPMS valves - what’s the best way to ensure the tyre place doesn’t cause any damage?  

Also, I’ve noticed the PS4S tyres have red dots on them.   Should they be aligned to the valve, or opposite?    I’m sure I’ve read something about that somewhere....

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Solution

Most cars have TPMS nowadays, the garage should be fine as long as you tell them they are there. 

The red dot is the highest part of the tyre, it should be on the lowest spot of the wheel (they sometimes have a tiny dimple in the rim to show this so less balance weights are needed but again the tyre place should know this, it's what they do after all! 

If there's a yellow dot, that's the heaviest part of the tyre and should be mounted opposite the valve.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

You can remind them about the TPMS, but most tyre places  know all about them.

Only had 1 place destroy the tpms on one of the wife's jeep wheels, so they just fitted a standard one, had to go back later with a new/correct one. Never went there again, use a good place in Exeter.

10 minutes ago, Bibs said:

Most cars have TPMS nowadays, the garage should be fine as long as you tell them they are there. 

The red dot is the highest part of the tyre, it should be on the lowest spot of the wheel (they sometimes have a tiny dimple in the rim to show this so less balance weights are needed but again the tyre place should know this, it's what they do after all! 

If there's a yellow dot, that's the heaviest part of the tyre and should be mounted opposite the valve.

Thanks Bibs, whereabouts would the dimple be on the wheel?   I have them off the car now ready to take to the tyre fitting place.

4 minutes ago, Daveb99 said:

they sometimes have a tiny dimple in the rim

👍

Not at wheels have them and they're sometimes on the inside of the rim and sometimes on the outside. More often the inside though, depends on the wheel manufacturer.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

TPMS does require care. Lotus recommend releasing the valve first and letting the TPMS sensor drop into the wheel or it could be damaged as they push the tyre off the rim.

5 hours ago, gregs24 said:

TPMS does require care. Lotus recommend releasing the valve first and letting the TPMS sensor drop into the wheel or it could be damaged as they push the tyre off the rim.

Kwik fit have done the tyres on my old NA and my new Sport 410 and never once had an issue with the TPMS. Can't believe they had any special Lotus training.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

31 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Kwik fit have done the tyres on my old NA and my new Sport 410 and never once had an issue with the TPMS. Can't believe they had any special Lotus training.

It is what it says to do in the workshop manual. The garage I use followed it to the letter and all was fine.

1 hour ago, Whitey said:

What sizes did you go for Dave, as I didnt think you could get the standard size 18s in the 4S?

I was able to get the 4S in 225/40/18 from Blackcircles (and 15% off the rears as well), came to £559 which I thought was excellent for all four.

• Like 1

Cheers Dave, I've got PS4 all round with nearly new fronts but very worn rears - so rather than mix them I'll stick 2 new PS4 tyres on the rear and maybe next time change to 4S all round. Good to know that the 4S is now available in 18 and 19 inch sizes.

You can also for 10mm wider on the front if 225 is not available.  Won't harm the handling at all, thats been backed up by a Lotus engineer.  Thats what I have on my car, I swapped over to PS4S last year before 225 was available in 18".

On 16/05/2021 at 09:46, Daveb99 said:

I was able to get the 4S in 225/40/18 from Blackcircles (and 15% off the rears as well), came to £559 which I thought was excellent for all four.

I know what I'm getting sorted before my next TDv, after Blyton I decided to have a closer look at what's fitted rather than stopping at "they're P Zeros"  its got Nero's on one end and Rosso's  on the other ... Not sure what the difference is but I'll swap for 4 PS4S's now the 18" size is becoming available