Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Which Gearbox would you choose? - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Which Gearbox would you choose?

All other things being equal on the Emira which would you choose?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On this forum, a community of mostly Lotus fans and keen old-school drivers the manual seems to be the most popular and most talked about when considering purchase.

However, whilst reading Emira threads on Pistonheads the talk there is that Lotus is doing the right thing offering a DCT as THAT is what the mass market wants. They suspect, where the Emira is aimed, that most buyers will opt for a  DCT as it is better in 80% of all journeys.

Clearly, this does sound logical. Pistonheaders likely cover the fast German marques with DCTs  and most manufacturers have moved to towards this with only die-hard fans opting for manual gearboxes.

For me, this is a proper dilemma. My GTC is an auto and my last two runarounds were a Golf R and Audi RS3, both with a DCT box. They are great and on the latter two cars the paddles really add to the experience. The cars are faster too of course.

So what really is the right gearbox? My Abarth is manual as have been most of my cars but am I stuck in a loop of nostalgia thinking manual N/A is the ONLY way forward?

I will tell you what my big fear is now. I am looking to get one of each and the 4-cyl, we believe, is to ONLY be offered as DCT.

Now, what if it turns out I much prefer the usability of the DCT and it epically suits the new car and I am then gutted the even better V6 is 'only' a manual.

5 years down the line, when I sell, which will have really proved the best and which will lead to greater residuals.

Of the two, if both were available on both versions, which 'box would you actually get if you were only buying the one car?

The 'kneejerk' reaction is to shout M A N U A L all day long... 

But... think hard about the car that the Emira will be and what might really suit you.

Remember, you might have another fun manual car anyway and the Emira might be more GT than weekend toy.

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

I have two fun manual cars. If I could afford an Emira, I would have three fun manual cars - and the wife's auto Yeti.

I do not drive a sports car for the flat out acceleration (or I might have to think electric).

• Like 1

The quality of the DCT and the performance of the car is an important factor.

The mechanism on the Bentley is shocking and it seems to take 2 seconds to perform the full change. It therefore becomes just a way to keep it second gear longer should one wish to enjoy the sound of the engine at higher revs,  99 % of the time it is just lovely, indeed fabulous, in plain auto mode BUT that suits the wafty, effortless nature of the car.

However, the DCT on the RS3 and Golf R was a hoot. You forget about a manual and enjoy is for what it is. It helps that they program a lovely blip or pop in the changes these days.

After driving the DCT in those I would have not have exchanged for a manual version had they done one.

At the other end, there is the mad single clutch jerk of the Gallardo. Hilarious and an event and this makes it fun.

Anyway, bottom line. I and many others may need to take the V6 out for good ride with both boxes and see what one really prefers for the driving that they will do.

I do still knee-jerk for the manual BUT I need more information before signing on that dotted line.

• Like 1

Ugh , yeah.  Surely Lotus will take the opportunity to ditch that. Eek.

[edit] I can't.  😄

Edited by Evotion

• Gold FFM

If the rumours are true and the V6 is IPS not DCT I fear that's going to get a lot of (probably unwarranted) adverse comment.  OK, the IPS is a "slushbox" auto and the first IPS Evoras had only an OK-ish change.  But by about 2013 with all the software changes it became a very capable car with decently fast shifting, a good distinction between normal and sport modes and some great blips on the downshift.  The paddle shifting was usable and the driving experience day to day not that different to a typical DCT. 

If Lotus are going to stand by the "For The Drivers" tagline then they're going to have to show the IPS car can hold it's own against the DCT or manual from a driver engagement perspective.    Setting aside prejudices we may each have about manual/DCT/auto (or variomatic or EV or ...) I think they'll all drive like a Lotus should.  But as has already been said, people don't even go for a test drive if they perceive it's not the "right" image, perceived reliability, BHP, gearbox etc.

It'll be a manual for me.

5 minutes ago, TomE said:

If the rumours are true and the V6 is IPS not DCT I fear that's going to get a lot of (probably unwarranted) adverse comment. 

Absolutely and a faux pas.

In a way I hope it is though as then my choice is very clear - Manual for the V6.

Like many on the forum I like driving. I own a Lotus because I enjoy the involvement I get from the car and the sense of achievement from getting it right when driving. My Exige is a weekend/special occasion 'toy'. I'm lucky enough to have a daily commute to the office along relatively quite B roads so my Korean daily drive is also a manual. The Emira will replace my Exige and continue to give me the enjoyment of all aspects of driving (I hope).

8 minutes ago, Evotion said:

Is an option to spec the Manual and delete the wife? 😃

Have to pick my battles and personally have become a fan of the paddles.  My Aston converted me and my friend's California reaffirmed it.

If the car is not from the UK or Italy; it's not worth talking about.

1 hour ago, brightoncorgi said:

My Aston converted me and my friend's California reaffirmed it.

Both great cruisers so could see how paddles would work well for them.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

So is my BTC but the paddles are absolutely shocking - though mine is a late Gen 1.

I forgot to mention.. ha. Actually, one of the main reasons I prefer a manual, and LOVED the one on my Exige ride, was the open-gate a la Paganis.  This just added to the drama getting in and the looks and sound of it really enhanced the whole experience.    

I hope there is some open element to the Emira. I love seeing those sort of mechanicals.

Umm, I wonder if we will still see the supercharger? So many variables we have not yet talked about.

• Gold FFM
On 11/06/2021 at 18:45, Evotion said:

Ugh , yeah.  Surely Lotus will take the opportunity to ditch that. Eek.

[edit] I can't.  😄

Added. :) 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

I did find the manual in my Exige 410 Sport ride a delight. Short throw, nice sound, solid chunky feel of quality and looked the nuts.  I would happy with that unchanged.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is interesting and we are still awaiting the release of the car and its specs.  

Personally I prefer analogue. I think manual puts the control and skill in your hands. But looking at Lotus pitch about being a tech car company and the future being electric I do wonder if there will be a manual version of this new car.

In some respect I think it will be a great decision to only offer the new cars in DCT.  Because it will hold/preserve the value of the older cars, while bring Lotus Forward to the current market. 

Even thou my preference would be a manual car and I think Lotus will only offer the 131 in DCT i have put a deposit down on the Emira.  My expectation is that Lotus are going to offer an amazing spec car that looks like art - McLaren Packaging for Porsche money. Creating a new future for the Lotus Brand while raising the profile of the older cars and their analogue nature. 

Let see what the 6ths of July bring us.  I'm sure Lotus will nail it.

• Like 1

All the Best

Greg

Paddles here. Enjoyed it in the Evora 400. 

Edited by DJW

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

On 11/06/2021 at 18:42, brightoncorgi said:

Have to pick my battles and personally have become a fan of the paddles.  My Aston converted me and my friend's California reaffirmed it.

But an Aston and a California are GT cars, for fast touring, not really sports cars to be taken on the road to exploit their handling and reward the driver. So not probably an "ideal" comparison for the Emira.

Shock of all horrors, I'm leaning to a V6 with an auto box! But also thinking the entry level 4 pot, in highest BHP form, with the DCT, would probably be the best way to go. But then high end V6 with.....   Argh, will just have to wait and see re specs.

Whatever we may choose, one thing is certain and that is the Emira will be the last ICE engined car, and also the last manual car, that Lotus will ever make.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

6 hours ago, C8RKH said:

But an Aston and a California are GT cars, for fast touring, not really sports cars to be taken on the road to exploit their handling and reward the driver. So not probably an "ideal" comparison for the Emira.

California has the same transmission and engine and 458.  One could say the Evora is a GT in the same way.  2+2 with GT in the name...  Both Aston's and the California are rewarding cars to drive to me.

If the car is not from the UK or Italy; it's not worth talking about.

I would say Lotus tried to sell the Evora as a GT but it isn't really a true GT. Doesn't have enough cup holders for a start!

The California may have the same engine as the 458, but it has it at the front where all that weight is being "pushed" into the corners. Same with the Aston's. I'm not knocking either the California or an Aston. I'd happily have either. But they are NOT sports cars in the way the 458, or even the Evora is. They are mile munching GT's for sure.

Edited by Bravo73

The small print.

Well, they are 'Sports Cars' in most people eyes but, as you say,. NOT like a low slung rear engined car where the focus was more on dynamic ability.

Back in my father's day, a sports car was simply a small, light 2 seater convertible.  

The term now stretches over a lot of different types and marques and even model variants.

I can't say that a Golf R is NOT a Sports Car - it is a great value road weapon. Then we have Supers and Hypers. Bit silly really :)