Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
AMG Emira - Page 4 - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

AMG Emira

Greg | ValetPro

Yeah,. I still maintain for the first 2 years the manual V6 will do very well.  I would then expect everything to drop a bit after then, especially the i4 as I suspect the V6 will end its run then, if not sooner, except for a possible GT4.

I am not overly worried. I will definitely keep one of them for many years, if not life.  They won't do as well as using the money for 2 Lotus on a 458 instead but you can't reasonably thrash and enjoy a 348 so much.

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

No question the AMG is the more technically advanced engine, but more exciting? Hmm, not sure. Doesn't sound like there will be much weight difference to the V6 when the gearbox is factored in, it is never going to sound as good as the V6, and of course some still prefer a manual. It is great that we have a choice of power trains though. Can't wait to find out what the price difference is going to be. If the V6 is, say, over £10k more than the AMG then it becomes a much harder choice for me.

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

image.thumb.png.b8c80b9240b2beda990b48779472c8bb.pngIt looks like a typo - however Lotus have redone the ECU for the Emira so what they’ve done remains to be seen…..

480Nm = 354 fl lb

My Lotus History - 1998 Elise S1 (sold) - 1993 Esprit S4 (sold) - 2004 Elise S2 111S (sold) - 1995 M100 Elan S2 (sold) - 2014 Evora S IPS Sports Racer (sold) - 2023 Emira i4 First Edition V6 Auto (Touring Chassis, Hethel Yellow, Full Black Pack, Black Alcantara /Yellow Stitch interior and Steering Wheel, Yellow Calipers, Privacy Glass, Tracker)

10 hours ago, freefall_junkie said:

it is never going to sound as good as the V6, 

If the black mule has the AMG engine it didn't sound anything like the V6 when it passed me today.

• Like 1

Video!!!  :)

I wonder if they will engineer in the pops and crackles or not. I suspect not to keep it more classy.

They will no doubt make it sound as good as possible. They have already said that his is important to them.

3 hours ago, JimH said:

image.thumb.png.b8c80b9240b2beda990b48779472c8bb.pngIt looks like a typo - however Lotus have redone the ECU for the Emira so what they’ve done remains to be seen…..

480Nm = 354 fl lb

This is the A35 engine which is totally different to the A45 M139 engine

• Gold FFM

@steveoexige https://www.mercedes-amg.com/en/vehicles/a-class/hatchback.html Source… The top engine details in the screenshot above clearly says A45/A45S….?

My Lotus History - 1998 Elise S1 (sold) - 1993 Esprit S4 (sold) - 2004 Elise S2 111S (sold) - 1995 M100 Elan S2 (sold) - 2014 Evora S IPS Sports Racer (sold) - 2023 Emira i4 First Edition V6 Auto (Touring Chassis, Hethel Yellow, Full Black Pack, Black Alcantara /Yellow Stitch interior and Steering Wheel, Yellow Calipers, Privacy Glass, Tracker)

13 hours ago, chipp said:

If the black mule has the AMG engine it didn't sound anything like the V6 when it passed me today.

I just hope the production V6 Emira sounds as good as the grey launch car or the Evora 410. With ever tightening noise regs I'm surprised they got away with the 410 or the 380 onward Exiges - they really sound bloomin fantastic at full chat even if they are too loud for most UK circuits. I was at the Ingliston Revival a few years back and in the supercar paddock a couple of sales guys were having a bit of fun doing a revving 'sound off' between an Evora Sport 410 and a Gallardo. The Evora may have been 4 cylinders down on the Lambo, but honestly it sounded every bit as good.

If the Emira has a valved exhaust I guess there might be the option to do a bit of naughty tweakery. I think in an Aston Vantage it is a simple matter of pulling a fuse out to have the valves permanently open.

• Like 1

This choice (I4 or V6) is becoming more difficult for me on a daily basis. I was originally 100% for the V6, mainly for the noise and the manual box, then I learned it was the 'old V6 and box', and now I'm understanding more about the A45 engine. An important factor for handling is that it may well be the same overall weight as the V6, but it's a heavy (low down) gearbox Vs a heavy (right on the top!) SC and chargecooler that really makes me think. I'm not in my first flush of youth and hopefully the Emira will be a keeper, my last 'proper' car, so I'm beginning to question:

Do I really want to spend an extra £10-15K for the privilege of.....

Higher CoG (I could definitely feel this on my Exige V6)
Higher running costs
Higher guilt factor regarding CO2
Risk of aggravating my tinitus (probably have to wear ear plugs anyway :lol: )
Risk of aggravating my old knee injury with heavy clutch use
Future risk of dreaded OAP clutch spinning at junctions because I'll probably be able to hear F'all by then :rofl:

My initial V6 resolve is coming under pressure, the choice is becoming a lot more 'balanced' - aaarggh :dizzy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Of course, the real answer is to get both - one for the track, one for everyday.

Higher CoG (I could definitely feel this on my Exige V6) -  Yep, and that is an EPIC car so don't worry!
Higher running costs - Maybe not if Mercedes work on the i4
Higher guilt factor regarding CO2 - Bugger that. We will be electric in a few years anyway. Eat less beef and sell the wife's car :)
Risk of aggravating my tinitus (probably have to wear ear plugs anyway :lol: ) - There you go, ear plugs it is - I wear them on my bikes
Risk of aggravating my old knee injury with heavy clutch use - Change gear less :)

To be serious, it does sound like the DCT 4 is better for you - by far.  Don't sweat it. The 4cyl will be an amazing experience.

45 minutes ago, Evotion said:

Higher CoG (I could definitely feel this on my Exige V6) -  Yep, and that is an EPIC car so don't worry!

Of course the V6 Exige is epic, but when compared with an Elise you can really feel the extra weight high up - VOE.

Yeah, get the i4 !

More useable day to day. With both in front of me I would opt for the DCT ride for anything other than a blast.

1 hour ago, Evotion said:

Higher guilt factor regarding CO2 - Bugger that. We will be electric in a few years anyway. Eat less beef and sell the wife's car. :)

🤣 😂

1 hour ago, Evotion said:

Higher running costs - Maybe not if Mercedes work on the i4

Now that would be great, but I don't think they want to put the dealers out of work. On the other hand: If people see that a Merc-dealer can work on such a car (after all, it is an AMG), then maybe sales can go up just for the fact that they don't have to worry about driving hours to Lotus for maintenance or repair. But again: i don't think that is going to happen. 

We can be assured that it will not be anything like as loud as sitting in an Exige  =- shame.

17 hours ago, JJ said:

I also suffer from tinnitus. If the care is going to be so loud inside I need earplugs (without having any sort of removable roof) that's a pass from me.

As much as I enjoy a nice soundtrack I think cars should be quiet at low and highway cruising speeds. At high revs everything may open up.

But I assume that given the market this car is aimed at it will sound pretty civilized when driven normally.

There's some people with 500 abaths around here and even driving through the street at 30~40kphs those things make a crapton of noise. A lady a couple of houses down the street has a 488 and that doesn't make half the noise.

23 minutes ago, IwantOne said:

There's some people with 500 abaths around here and even driving through the street at 30~40kphs those things make a crapton of noise.

Oops.... guilty as charged 😁  It's that Monza exhaust - such a fun little car.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I was just told that the AMG i4 Emira will now NOT be coming out until January 2023 - not the Autumn of 2022.

Kind of makes sense but puts the car back even further. 

43 minutes ago, Evotion said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I was just told that the AMG i4 Emira will now NOT be coming out until January 2023 - not the Autumn of 2022.

Kind of makes sense but puts the car back even further. 

That’s worrying if it’s fallen back so quickly