Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
For Auction - The Esprit Limited Collection - Page 9 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

For Auction - The Esprit Limited Collection

Bling

• Gold FFM

I find it a shame the cars never reached more and shocked at the fact some didn’t.

Ive just reread the posts on here - and there’s some healthy debate about the cars - any negative issues are largely down to the details which the Market published and some of those have used poetic license to its max. The huge amount of pictures really helped to focus people on the cars that they were actually bidding on. I can see why you feel there’s been some negativity - but that’s more to do with the representation of the vehicles condition by the auction company rather than you personally.

I really do wish you all the very best in rehoming the remaining cars.

• Like 2

Only here once

I hear you BUT I have been on the look out for a Sport 300 for some time and was ready to push the button within the Estimate/reserve  Zone before the pictures were put up on the auction site. 

Quite honestly I was hugely disappointed at the condition that even the pictures revealed. Aside from the former green paint poking through in places and the incredibly rusty suspension, the interior is not in keeping with the ethos of the car. 

Of course non of this matters had the estimate/reserve been set at a reasonable figure.  For me that’s when I became hugely frustrated with the whole situation. I’d waited a long time only to be let down as the huge estimate had promised me a prime example. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bernie1806 said:

In fact, that just about sums most (not all) of you up. You should really consider more carefully your use in public forums the use of malicious, defamatory and incorrect writings and be very aware of the reach of Libel nowadays, especially by self-rightous, holier-than-thou, know-it-all, smart-arse trolls....!!!

Wow...first class rant by a used car dealer whose vehicles didn't match the auction description. I stand by everything I said about the "JPS" including the replacement decals on the driver's side, the rusty suspension and chassis components and the engine fire with repairs that are not to original spec. Oh don't forget the non original stainless exhaust system. Lots more I could cover but this is not an original unmolested car...period. I you fancy taking me to court for libel let me know the time and the place and I'll be there.

Missing the point…

Used car dealer 🙂

It’s about a collective feeding frenzy and the fictitious, incorrect statements made my certain people.

Everyone could see the photos and read the descriptions and paperwork on-line, warts and all.  That is real.

The frustration comes when several people, who joined in, making untrue statements and kept repeating them…

A right off, not true. Bought on eBay, not true, etc, etc. Can you imagine the frustration that causes….

As for seeing us in court… grow up. This sort of immature drivel is just what I was ranting about.

Can I suggest you look at sniffpetrol.co.uk a great piece on ‘forum folk’ !

Over and out, no more input from us on this subject, or anything else associated with forums…

Enjoy your cars….

7 hours ago, Bernie1806 said:

Missing the point…

Used car dealer 🙂

It’s about a collective feeding frenzy and the fictitious, incorrect statements made my certain people.

Everyone could see the photos and read the descriptions and paperwork on-line, warts and all.  That is real.

The frustration comes when several people, who joined in, making untrue statements and kept repeating them…

A right off, not true. Bought on eBay, not true, etc, etc. Can you imagine the frustration that causes….

As for seeing us in court… grow up. This sort of immature drivel is just what I was ranting about.

Over and out, no more input from us on this subject, or anything else associated with forums…

Enjoy your cars….

When I look up your website it brings up a used car dealership in York. You were the one who brought up libel so don't go all defensive when you get called out. Anytime you misrepresent something invariably you will get called out by knowledgeable owners. That's what happened here and does every day on the internet forums. The descriptions on the Market were far from factual and done to talk up the cars. Hopefully the people that bought them correct the problem areas and end up with some lovely cars.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bernie1806 said:

'Senior' comments towards the end, maybe page 8 of your diatribe, an expensive sale for a 'ropey' example, they never mentioned the fire.  What utter tosh !                                                      The fire was mentioned, also show on invoice details, end-of.  Is he blind, or does he not want to see it, as it spoils his condemnation of what is a lovely car.  Pathetic.

As of the 27th August, the fire wasn't mentioned

• Like 1

Without trying to stir further resentment from @Bernie1806 given the failure of the auctions and fellow posters sniping/considered opinion (delete as appropriate) I'd be interested in hearing how The Market advised and prepared the auction details. As has been stated by the seller, the resultant PR was high and it was picked up by much of the classic auto press in the UK from what I've seen.

I'd say both the original higher price and second slightly lower price for the JPS was healthy for a decent original example. The price for the Sport 350 also compared favourably with Richard Hammond's lower mileage celeb edition a month or so earlier at Silverstone.

For anyone looking to auction their pride and joy I'd be interested to know how The Market approached auctioning this collection. Who wrote the copy (description/PR etc) and advised on the pricing/reserve figures - if at all, and orchestrated the photographs - most of which provided excellent detailed coverage, but lacked some of the details mentioned in the descriptions.

I'm assuming that these new, post-Covid online auctions are sold as an entry level way for sellers to auction their cars, rather than their mainline live event auctions.

For me, the new Car & Classic online auction seems well run and successful, with a couple of Esprits selling through that recently. I've not seen much of Silverstone's similar offering to judge.

As an aside, I did notice when dipping in to the live auctions that on my mobile browser (Android) that a live auction was marked as 'Closed' when in fact it still had a few hours to run. Something I feel should be mentioned to the auction house. I kept screen grabs from when it subsequently occurred. However I am unable to post them on the forum.

Edited by Fridge
  • Like 1

On 24/09/2021 at 07:41, Bernie1806 said:

Missing the point…

Used car dealer 🙂

Enjoy your cars….

Some of us have known these cars a long time.  You initially weren't upfront about the cars.  We wanted people to be aware of what they were buying.  

Transparency from the start would have been the best policy.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Seems to be having another try to sell the Sport 300, Silverstone auctions this time.

https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/sa079-lot-17974-1994-lotus-esprit-sport-300

It will be interesting to see how high it goes this time. No photos of the underside this time ......