Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Emira UK Roadshow - Page 19 - Emira Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Emira UK Roadshow

Evotion

Looked fantastic from every angle today. Lovely design in the “metal”.

Maybe I should have done more research, but I was expecting one of the early actually-running cars to be on-show today , not just effectively a model. A bit frustrating not to be able to adjust the seat to get a feel for the ergonomics.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
5 hours ago, Cooper said:

49634B4F-9DB9-4C87-8413-B2BA336E1C20.thumb.jpeg.1caaee9b390bb5f3d3e3d0d87168f9a4.jpeg

889F2248-0CFF-4418-8FBE-C8C66C1A9A5B.thumb.jpeg.e36e91dc73afebf684e1dd11bbee159b.jpeg

I was the nerd who took a tape measure :) 

9C145302-A5A9-41D3-8AE2-5007BEB21F40.jpeg

14 minutes ago, mik said:

Looked fantastic from every angle today. Lovely design in the “metal”.

Maybe I should have done more research, but I was expecting one of the early actually-running cars to be on-show today , not just effectively a model. A bit frustrating not to be able to adjust the seat to get a feel for the ergonomics.

That’s odd.  The seat was adjustable when I went on 29 Sept and I had a chance to adjust to a good position.  Perhaps it’s broken from all the traffic it’s had.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Mctaff said:

Do you have the older model or the new one?

I’ve got the new shape Vantage.

I had three of the older shape, and regretted it to a greater or lesser extent when I let them go for something else. 

• Like 1

You appear with the tedious inevitability of an unwelcome season. 

13 hours ago, TomE said:

I was the nerd who took a tape measure :) 

9C145302-A5A9-41D3-8AE2-5007BEB21F40.jpeg

That’s odd.  The seat was adjustable when I went on 29 Sept and I had a chance to adjust to a good position.  Perhaps it’s broken from all the traffic it’s had.

Awesome! Do I read it correctly that it says 32 cm? What's the seat position here? Can it be moved further forward?

Not my image, but as noted above - the seat could not be moved (unlike earlier in the tour). It was pretty far back - possibly fully back.

• Gold FFM

I’m 5’9” and with the seat in a decent driving position it was 30cm gap behind the seats.  In my 2011 Evora I sit with the seat on the front stop but in the Emira there was still an amount further forward it could have gone.

A 6’0” person adjusted the seat after me and the gap was still 20cm.  So plenty of room for a cabin-sized bag behind each seat.  There’s a shelf at about the same height as in a 2+0 Evora. 

• Like 1

The electric seats weren't functioning when I tried them yesterday, and the base was so high I am now wondering if they were stuck at their highest adjustment. I never thought to ask at the time, but I'm assuming 14 way adjustment has to include height? The whole seat will be mounted 20mm lower in the production car, but a bit of experimenting today in my own car moving the seat 2cm up and down suggests that alone is not going to be enough to get me in a good position in the Emira. I'm 6ft 2 and my eye line was right at the very top of the windscreen. Can anyone who had a play with the seats at the earlier roadshows when they were working comment on how high the seat felt at its lowest setting, especially in comparison to an Evora? 

They were working when I sat in them and I’d say at their lowest it was pretty similar to my Evora.

For me that leaves about 20mm of headroom so if the production seats come 20mm lower I’ll be happy cos if I ever wear a helmet I’ll fit better than in the Evora.

• Like 2

To be fair, we are seeing hatchbacks with similar power figures so some people's reactions are that is underpowered. This is mentioned even more on LT mainly due to the Corvette being a rival for them money there.

However, yes, my view is that 400/416HP in a proven chassis with 'proper' steering and gearing will be more than enough to scare 95% of people.

I had an integrale Evo 2 - only had 216HP IIRC  - and I never once thought it needed more oomph. I also had one of Rover 220 Turbo Coupes back in the early 90s and that was certified dangerous.

So it is all how it puts the power to the road and the feeling you get whilst doing it.

Just like skiing and motorcycling, it is that grin as you break the law of physics that makes a true sports car.

• Like 1

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

15 hours ago, MrBlueSky said:

Viewed yesterday in Hamilton. Looks fab. Definitely felt more like a new Esprit rather than a replacement for the Evora. Substantially more supercar

I'm surprised by this. I didn't get this sense at all to be honest. To me it's a sports car, not a supercar, and does not have the presence (size) of a supercar. When you stand next to the latest supercars from Ferrari, McLaren, et al the one thing that hits you (well it hits me anyway) is the size of the things. They are not small cars at all, to the extent they would not be a great B road blaster!  Sure, a non major trunk road "A" blaster and a delight on those slightly wider roads that accommodate HGV's, large buses etc. Whereas the Emira is an Evora/Exige sized car (think it is around 2 inches wider only - need to check) and so more suitable to UK roads.  My point, a supercar not only needs to have the design, but it needs a hell of a lot more power and size too.  The Esprit was up there with the Ferrari's etc of its time in terms of performance, proportions, looks etc. The Emira has the looks only I'm afraid.  It's a great car, a great design, but in my mind calling it a Supercar is being over enthusiastic.  I'm sure many will disagree with me.

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

12 minutes ago, Evotion said:

This is mentioned even more on LT mainly due to the Corvette being a rival for them money there.

The Yanks are obsessed with power numbers in the main. It's all about bragging rights for the quarter and top trumps (nothing to do with Donald) motoring. Remember, it's not unusual for entitled college kids to be bought a 'vette as their first university car in many parts of the US (not all, and not all Uni kids granted).

The Americans you meet who see past this, are to me, the real aficionado's and are usually hugely knowledgeable driving enthusiasts.

The Emira has attracted a new kind of potential owner to Lotus - one that measures things by the size of the BHP number. Hopefully once they get behind the wheel they will realise it is about driving for the pleasure of driving. Enough performance to have fun. Certainly enough to kill yourself. Why would you want to kill yourself faster?  These days a spotty young Oink can get 500bhp+ out of a German boring saloon/hatch. But how many of them do you see in the hedge?

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

This is the essence of what Lotus have to get right.  Selling their attributes successfully.  I don't get the modern obsession with big bhp.  Perhaps I've missed a trick.  But driving fun (esp on road) for me is not defined by big acceleration figures.  Where on earth do you get to use it?  Such a fixation on revving out.  Tape over the rev counter.  Just see if it's fun to drive as the Evora certainly is!

The trick is that Lotus have got to make what they have appealing in today's world.  That means having something better than BHP to be their USP.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gashead1105 said:

It will still be a fast car, particularly on a track but I would be surprised if it's considered scary by anyone. 

And yet people still regularly spin, crash etc cars with a less bhp/ton ration than an Evora.  I think Caterham Superlight is scary (i.e. needs a lot of respect) but then you know when you get in it!  The problem with cars like the Emira, GTR, etc is that cosset you and make you feel warm, comfy and secure like a normal saloon so some people forget it ain't a normal saloon. Again, that's why you see M3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10....'s, RS2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10.....'s and even Focus RS and tunes Fiesta's in the hedge or driven to the point where they catch the cocooned driver unaware that they have gone beyond their limits and those of physics.

The small print.

4 hours ago, C8RKH said:

I'm surprised by this. I didn't get this sense at all to be honest. To me it's a sports car, not a supercar, and does not have the presence (size) of a supercar. When you stand next to the latest supercars from Ferrari, McLaren, et al the one thing that hits you (well it hits me anyway) is the size of the things. They are not small cars at all, to the extent they would not be a great B road blaster!  Sure, a non major trunk road "A" blaster and a delight on those slightly wider roads that accommodate HGV's, large buses etc. Whereas the Emira is an Evora/Exige sized car (think it is around 2 inches wider only - need to check) and so more suitable to UK roads.  My point, a supercar not only needs to have the design, but it needs a hell of a lot more power and size too.  The Esprit was up there with the Ferrari's etc of its time in terms of performance, proportions, looks etc. The Emira has the looks only I'm afraid.  It's a great car, a great design, but in my mind calling it a Supercar is being over enthusiastic.  I'm sure many will disagree with me.

I'm certainly being a little "over enthusiastic" calling it a supercar, I get that, but for me it's moving towards that point where it becomes less practical sportscar and more impractical supercar. For me it's not about the bhp, 410 is plenty, but all about the feel across a variety of roads and conditions. I don't want a super car that is only super on very few occasions.

Twenty years ago I was looking to move on from my Elise S160 to something more refined but which still felt fabulous across a range of conditions. I test drove an Esprit but felt it was too wide, too extreme??? and then went left field with a Clio V6.

I feel the Emira has moved 2 inches in the wrong direction for me.. but that's fine because I have an Evora which feels just right for me. I should probably hold off on any more pontificating until we get a chance to drive the new car!