Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Track! Will you actually take this gorgeous car on a track day? - Emira Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Track! Will you actually take this gorgeous car on a track day?

Evotion

Will you track the car?  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For the vast majority of us, the Emira will be the highlight of our motoring life.

It will be precious and fabulous and deliver oodles of joy over many years.

On that basis, who is willing to rag the car, as it should be, on a track day or two?

Let's assume noise limits will NOT Be an issue/complication.

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

• Gold FFM

I'll be tracking mine 1-2 times per year but don't expect to spend that much more on maintenance.  I haven't had to do much extra on the Evora.  It's mainly been tyres, which have worn more slowly since I switched from the OEM Pirelli P-Zero Corsas to Michelin PS4S.

I'll probably stick with the Eagles on the Emira, rather than have the faff of swapping wheels/tyres for track.  Obviously with my more compliant Touring suspension ;) and my smooth (not ragging it) driving there will be less wear and tear :)

• Like 1

Ah good to know that the Lotus does not wear out the mechanicals as much. 

Are the brakes generally excellent for a whole session and how often do yo u replace them anyway?

I assume it is the same AP setup.

I was toying with the idea of an extra set of wheels with Cup 2s on but it seems a bit drastic and would be grossly underused.

Lotus always aim for a 60-0  in less than half of the 0-60, they're usually over-braked and the brakes suffer a lot of work very well. I've tracked all of my cars and never had a brake issue on track! 

In fact, I was in a pit crew with an Exige for the Nurburgring 24 (Gav Kershaw was one of the drivers) and the brakes were expected to do 24 hours hard race driving around the 'Ring with no issues.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

That is amazing and another feather in the Lotus cap.

The heavier weight of the Emira will play a part but sounds like they braking system will never need to be upgraded.

16 minutes ago, Bibs said:

While, like many Lotus cars, the warranty 'may' say that it's invalidated by track use…

I’m pretty sure that previous Lotus warranties used to specify ‘timed runs’ on track which would invalidate them (ie racing). Other track use (ie track days) are otherwise positively encouraged. 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

That's what my Evora manual says, track use is fine but not timed or competitive events.

I've had absolutely no issues with brakes on track with the Evora.  The stopping power is phenomenal and most of my ability to catch 4-cyl Elise/Exige is down to being able to brake later and harder than them.  People are amazed how much ground I can make up.  There's no degradation in a 15-30 min session on a range of circuits: Goodwood, Brands, Snetterton, Castle Combe for me.

The wear has been incredibly slow.  Pads replaced after 7 years and discs have lasted 10 years and will probably go another 1-2 years.  I only do about 3000 miles a year, so that's a factor, but track days don't seem to be increasing mechanical wear at all.

• Like 1

Too heavy for track work imho, as found the Exige much better for track work than Evora.   Instead I’ll enjoy the Cotswold roads around me and a trip to the highlands  😁

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

On 23/12/2021 at 15:44, TomE said:

I'll be tracking mine 1-2 times per year but don't expect to spend that much more on maintenance.  I haven't had to do much extra on the Evora.  It's mainly been tyres, which have worn more slowly since I switched from the OEM Pirelli P-Zero Corsas to Michelin PS4S.

I'll probably stick with the Eagles on the Emira, rather than have the faff of swapping wheels/tyres for track.  Obviously with my more compliant Touring suspension ;) and my smooth (not ragging it) driving there will be less wear and tear :)

I think the Eagle supersports will offer enough performance for occasional trackdays.

My understanding is that they were developed as a direct competitor to the Michelin PS4s.

We have recently put a set on our Civic type R and I'm more than happy to recommend them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DJW said:

Too heavy for track work imho, as found the Exige much better for track work than Evora.   Instead I’ll enjoy the Cotswold roads around me and a trip to the highlands  😁

Well, it's about the same weight as a GT3, which isn't exactly known for being unwieldy on track.

Well I’ve had a GT3 and a couple of Evoras and totally different beasts. Personally I found the Evora not to be a great track car in stock trim (GT430 excluded), vs likes of an Exige V6 and way off any GT3.   Preferred Evora as a road car though :)

Of course this is all personal views and everyone has a different one, so all good in the hood 🤜🤛

Edited by DJW
  • Like 1

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

I have done around 30 track events (mixture of full days and evenings) in the two and a half years I have owned my Alpine A110. 

The A110 will not be going anywhere until I have had the chance to put a Emira through its paces out on track, where it will need to be as fun and engaging (in a variety of conditions) as the Alpine to remain in the garage!

Sounds fair enough. The Emira will be a hoot but not in the same league as a GT3 or Exige. 

Will be interesting to see how it compares on track with the Alpine and  non-GT4 Caymans.

On 24/12/2021 at 11:38, DJW said:

Set up is likely a major factor.  My Evora Sport 410 is only circa 50kg lighter than a 400 but I deliberately chose it as a better track car compared to an Exige 350 after trying both on track.  Plus it had the benefit of more luggage space for trips

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Anybody know the Db reading on the V6 Evora or Exige with 410 HP?

I am thinking they will be the closest sounds to the Emira.

Hoping to book some track days up before the rush but not sure which ones I have a chance of getting in.  Once I get the Emira I will do a sound check at a track but that is ages off.

These are usually measured at ½ metre from the exhaust outlet at 4500rpm with the meter held at a 45 degree angle.

Not sure of the exact dB numbers but any of the 4xx engined cars will fail pretty much any test when the valve is open. They have larger-diameter downpipes than the earlier 3xx cars and are noticeably louder. (I’ve had both).

If you somehow squeak through a static test by keeping it under 4500 (where the valve opens) you’ll get done by the drive-by meters unless you short-shift to keep the valve shut.

Only places with high noise limits (eg: Spa) are possible.

The Emira has a new variable valve (not just the open/shut old one) so it’ll be interesting to hear how it works.

• Gold FFM

Even in Tour driving mode the exhaust valve is going to be fully open above 4000rpm, so you're going to get caught on the static test at 4500rpm.  It might get through for a Loud day (105dB) at Goodwood but a lot of UK tracks are 98dB.

You can aim your ire at JMG, I’m afraid. It was he who insisted on all of the loud exhausts. 

However, his decision was reasonably logical. The number of cars which have to conform to track noise limits (ie UK owners who actually track their cars) is a fraction of worldwide sales, where noise limits don’t apply on the road or on track. Hence the loud exhausts. 

Would seem a logical option to have available, either a 97dB sports cat, or an additional exhaust box

having a sports car that you can drive on track would seem legitimate marketing, especially when you consider the percentage of footage released on Emira that shows it going around a track