Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Cost of living! - Page 6 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Cost of living!

Bibs

It is obvious that most people will put up with whatever is presented to them without question. WHY !..... why do we allow ourselves to be sucked dry of hard earned cash/life savings.... without questions. All I am stating in previous posts is we ALL have a set budget to live on. You cannot give working people 2% wage rises and raise Gas/Electric by 54%....food by 10% per month.....reduce quantities and charge more, something has to give.

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

@mickeymegabyteduring the 10 years from 2011 to 2021 the average annual inflation rise has been 3%. In general, 

The year before that it was -0.5%, did you expect a pay deduction that year? Would you think it reasonable if your employer had imposed one? After all prices had fallen.

Inflation has indeed spiralled in the first 6 months of this year. Yes it's tough out there. BUT employers will be cautious as massive pay increases are impossible to reverse (see above example) and the current high rates could recede significantly in 2023 depending upon world events.

Let's improve our workforces woeful, lagging, productivity to make more profit to pay for better wages.

Yes, people need to make choices. Takeaway family meal for four or buy in season food raw and prepare a weeks worth of meals for the same cost?  My wife makes home made soup in batches. Lovely tasty stuff and works out about 75p a meal! 

Give up beer. Wine. Cigarettes and the daily/weekly bet. Stop spend £3.50 on a coffee at Costa. Etc 

Don't leave any devices on standby. Etc 

Personal action and responsibility first. What's wrong in that?

We could do all the above. Or we could just whinge about how unfair it all is.

By the way, average wages (outside of the heavily unionised public sector) are ramping fast due to the skills shortage. So it's not all bad.

Not saying it's a bed of roses, but a complex issue, which has been coming for some time, made worse by low interest rates lulling people into over committing on spending in many situations.

Also, so many people now working full time/part time from home has significantly reduced their going to work costs.

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

How far shall we go back ....1066 ....? when the Normans invaded.

I am not whinging and whining.....just stating facts.

I was an electrician for 25yrs and Railway Signal engineer 25yrs, I could not have worked from home......as many cannot today.

I care about the world my children will have to live in, not the past.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I think the  public are selfish in general.

Unions are unpopular today....but everyone who whinges about people striking for their rights and do not belong to unions still accept the pay rises that they negotiate for union members.....I would make it so that they negotiate their own rises.

I read somewhere that it is not the Train Drivers that are striking, it is other staff in stations etc....I may be incorrect.

Think of this example:

A man earning £20,000 per year has a rise of 2% his pay goes to £20,400.

A man earning £200,000 per year has a rise of 2% his pay goes to £204,000.

This gap will grow every year, imagine the difference in 10 years.

It is no wonder that some people are not affected by the rising cost of living.....they can still afford to party!

1 hour ago, march said:

Just found out that Rail drivers average salary is £54,000.00 a year, which is over double the average salary in the UK. We are coming out of a pandemic and are now basically at war (at least with sanctions) with Russia so they think it is a good idea to hold national strikes!

What as Rail drivers salary have do with this dispute they are not even on strike. 96% of train drivers are members of ASLEF who are not in dispute. Misinformation yet again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, march said:

Just found out that Rail drivers average salary is £54,000.00 a year, which is over double the average salary in the UK. We are coming out of a pandemic and are now basically at war (at least with sanctions) with Russia so they think it is a good idea to hold national strikes!

Train drivers are not on strike. Over 90% of them are in ASLEF which is not striking. This is all the other rail workers - maintenance, station staff etc.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

10 hours ago, mickeymegabyte said:

How far shall we go back ....1066 ....? when the Normans invaded.

I am not whinging and whining.....just stating facts.

I was an electrician for 25yrs and Railway Signal engineer 25yrs, I could not have worked from home......as many cannot today.

I care about the world my children will have to live in, not the past.

Now now, I just went back 10 years as a SENSIBLE reference point. No need to get arsey about it. The point I was making was that in general the high inflation is a 2022 problem - brought on by global issues. It's not about living in the past but having a baseline to measure against.

The private sector largely moved away from wholescale pay bargaining some time ago. People in general are paid what their skills command, usually based on performance appraisals etc, as opposed to a blanket pay rise for everyone, even the lazy scrotes that every else is annoyed at as everyone knows they do sweet FA. Hardly any fairer system than the one you mentioned to be honest. And don't forget many of the unionised industries have, still, gilt edged pensions and other benefits 

You say it is unfair the disparity re a pay rise of 2% on someone who earns £20k as opposed to £200k. But what if the VALUE of what the £200k worker produces is much higher? Should not they be rewarded for it?

Also, the £20k worker will pay around £2.8k in tax and NI, the £200k worker £85k. A chunk of that £85k goes to the lower paid worker in benefits were claimed.

So just as you say people happy to take the pay rise when others have striked, people deride high earners but rely on the taxes they pay. It's a circular economy.

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

The common sense behind strikes is largely beyond my comprehension and is usually just an ego trip for the union leaders.

Strikers don’t get paid, some may get a small amount from union funds but that can’t last forever. Do these strikers ever calculate that when they eventually win an extra 2% pay rise after striking for 10 days they have in fact already lost more than 2% of their annual salary. Do they ever ask their union leaders if they are forfeiting pay during the strike? I recall the Scargill actually moved house into quite a mansion during the long miner’s strike and the miner’s still never twigged how he was using them for his own personal gain and political ends.

I read this morning that the unions are now saying that the strike is not about pay but about compulsory redundancies and changes to working practises. The article went on to highlight that current working practises requires 6 men to change a piece of electrical equipment (ok there may be a safety issue here but it would appear that all safety issues could be covered by reducing to 4), but more alarmingly engineers refuse to share vans going to call outs and insist on each using a van.

Sorry, I have no sympathy for strikers, they usually bring about their own downfall!

39 minutes ago, mickeymegabyte said:

I am going to add one final comment and leave it at that.....excuse my shouting.

"WHAT ON EARTH IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE TODAY.....YOU ALLOW ANYTHING AND ACCEPT IT IS RIGHT".

CRAZY !!

Which Lotus do you drive?

• Haha 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

1 hour ago, mickeymegabyte said:

I am going to add one final comment and leave it at that.....excuse my shouting.

"WHAT ON EARTH IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE TODAY.....YOU ALLOW ANYTHING AND ACCEPT IT IS RIGHT".

CRAZY !!

You need to take a Prozac and lie down 

I'm very happy with my lot right now, not my fault you're not. 

My kids are doing OK too actually, so I guess not everyone is as unhappy as you lol.

The small print.

• Gold FFM

My issue with the strikes is that in my job (private sector) we drive for efficiency. You get onboard and you do what you can to automate and cut down on time wasted. If that means trimming out your own job, you do that and then move on to another job or try to find something else internal, which you will usually get because you just helped make efficiencies.

In this particular instance it seems that workers are largely striking to keep things running inefficiently and asking for more money to do so. The rail companies can't give ever more money whilst ever less passengers are travelling on trains when ever higher percentages of workers vs passengers are required to keep them running. If you want more money, you need to let the rail companies become more efficient so that the workers who remain get paid more and the others can move on to do something that is beneficial to the economy elsewhere, which makes the whole country better off including in the long run the majority of those who have to move on.

Not only that, but I believe one of the things that the train drivers are complaining about is 'cameras' in the cabin which are IR cameras to stop people falling asleep, the same systems that have been installed in the Croydon trams to remove the risk of it happening again. So not only hindering efficiency but also safety.

The one area that I would support is either the train company or the government helping with upskilling and job migration as that would help all sides and the country as a whole. It's money well spent, once people see it working it will reduce the amount of strikes you have, increase efficiency and productivity and place more people in value enhancing jobs.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Find it ironic that people including the media like to knock the higher paid. “It’s okay for them” or “their increase is bigger than…” Of the £916 billion of tax revenues collected, 42% (£389 billion) is from personal tax and NI contributions alone. With the top 1% highest paid contributing a whacking 29%. It’s got to come from somewhere/one and they are it.

• Love 1

On 03/02/2022 at 22:50, Bibs said:

Petrol is up 27%, energy bills up £700 pa, NI up, interest rates up, Council Tax up, household inflation at 8%. 

The average household will be around £3k worse off. Just guessing but a great deal of people, can they afford these extra costs? Are we going to have a big bust up and lots of repossessions again? And how does the BoE raising interest rates help? 

At least my car insurance came down this year! :huh:

In the meantime, the govt have written of £5bn in covid loan fraud (which seems pretty easy to recover, surely £500m spent on getting it back would be a good investment?) and £8.7bn on shit PPE including overpaying to the tune of £4.7bn and £2.6bn's worth which was useless and couldn't even be used. 

I personally witnessed it. In essence, banks were giving their favorite business owners free money when they called them. Donald himself claimed to guarantee every loan, but the only thing he vetoed was the inspector general's oversight, indicating that everything was set up for fraud. The people who most needed it were not recipients of what was arguably the largest government redistribution of wealth in our nation's history.

Edited by Rebelk2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/02/2022 at 22:50, Bibs said:

Petrol is up 27%, energy bills up £700 pa, NI up, interest rates up, Council Tax up, household inflation at 8%. 

The average household will be around £3k worse off. Just guessing but a great deal of people, can they afford these extra costs? Are we going to have a big bust up and lots of repossessions again? And how does the BoE raising interest rates help? 

At least my car insurance came down this year! :huh:

In the meantime, the govt have written of £5bn in covid loan fraud (which seems pretty easy to recover, surely £500m spent on getting it back would be a good investment?) and £8.7bn on shit PPE including overpaying to the tune of £4.7bn and £2.6bn's worth which was useless and couldn't even be used. Here is a guide about cost of living in Canada.

Guess who really controls the government in a capitalist society. Money controls the current world we live in, and those with the most of it have the ability to influence decisions that benefit them. I hate to say it, but public outcry or revolt is the only way to change this. Obviously, the nuclear option, but if the cost of living continues to rise and the majority of us are thrown into deeper poverty, it will happen. History demonstrates this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I totally agree apart from said Good times.  the world in my view has lurched from one crisis to another since 2001 world trade centre crash.  So in summary we've been f**cked over by the "Global controlling party" for 21 years!  Oh and I fortunately did save as I'm such a tight arse! 😂 and got some solar panels so currently my elecy bill is not too bad.

I agree with all of the above but what I don't get is all the moaning etc.. about the cost of living when house prices in Devon have been shooting up at ridiculous rates due to the demand (many still not even making to the market before they are sold) and people continue with their expensive holidays. Last evenings flights over the North Atlantic (and don't get me started on who is responsible for all the greenhouse gases 😡):

May be an image of map and text that says "flightiadar24 メイメ EMNIqIR KpиTи LOT QATARA UALINES T Arianca!"

Edited by march
  • Like 1