Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
When your goo comes out - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

When your goo comes out

ramjet

• Gold FFM

Well maybe it's just me, but I am pretty sure that when this happens, things are not so good.

I was getting a flashing battery light for a while once I had started the car. It disappeared after awhile along with the oil light which flashed in sympathy. Once the car had warmed up, everything seemed fine. The resin has been leaking for awhile as it has made its way done to the under tray. I didn't recognise it when I cleaned the under tray. Now I know what it was.

IMG_0993.JPGIMG_0994.JPGIMG_0996.JPGWhen I removed the green carbon brush holder, one brush would move, the other was pretty gummed up with molten resin. After about 5 hours, of disassembling, cleaning and then reassembling, I ended up with this.

IMG_0998.JPGIMG_0999.JPGIMG_1001.JPGIMG_1002.JPG

Put it back in the car tomorrow and hopefully that will be the end of the electrical gremlins.

I am hoping that this possibly has something to do with the interior fan not working all of a sudden. Checked all the fuses etc and it is not them, so hopefully for some weird electrical reason, this will fix it.

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Failing alternators can cause all sorts of electrical gremlins.

this week Nobbys been having a nightmare trying to level his motocross track with the tractor. Many of the hydraulic solenoids on it are electrical - and the alternator just wasn’t pushing out enough to run everything.

Only here once

• Gold FFM

I shall report back once I get it reinstalled in the Esprit.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Same happened on mine. A new one if cheap, works well, and I used a few cotton swabs with isopropylalcohol to clean the copper rill traces in the alternator. Works well ever since. I'll bring another one if I travel abroad with the car ;)

Kind regards,

Jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• Gold FFM

Not happy Jan.

Multiple bark scrapes on my left hand. Many trips between the boot and underneath the car to retrieve washers and dropped tools. Lots of groaning and grunting. (59 years old) Much sweating.

And all of that for no battery light once the car is running anymore. (Isa mucho bueno!) I am only getting 11.35 volts measured at the battery or directly from the positive terminal on the alternator and earthing on the plenum. (Isa nota mucho bueno) Revs doesn't change the value.

• Gold FFM

Spoke to Steve Taylor today. Tomorrow I will be back in the boot after work to slacken the bolts off, pop the belt off and rotate the alternator outward so that hopefully I can get the new regulator off so I can check the windings. As I had to remove the brushes to clean them and then have replaced them onto the slip rings, the multimeter readings that I took indicate that the alternator is doing nothing and I am only seeing battery voltage, I have to suspect something that I have done. As the only real cleaning that affected anything is the brushes to the slip rings, that will be where I start after testing the field windings I think Steve called them. (in the rotor?)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

I'm currently facing same issue - but I have no skills so I've dropped it off for a rebuild.

Black goo is, as we know, a manifestation of voltage regulator melt/failure.

Sometimes, when this is cold, there is no charging voltage to the battery. When the unit warms up, and to goo softens, (some have said over 3k revs) the charging can come back, and charge-light in cabin extinguishes. This is utterly temporary.

Also, within the unit, there should be diodes (2 per set of windings) e.g for a 3-winding core there will be 6 off.

When you test the refurbished unit, a check to see if winding the pulley forward should create voltage, winding back shouldn't.

Just a thought ......

I went around a few of those rotations, and tried a different alternator before I realized I had jostled the charging light bulb out of its socket in the opposite end of the car.....

• 3 months later...

Old Valeo has a flat power curve, which "kicks in" at the much higher rpm. Esprit power demand is high. Most of the time, OE alternator has to work at the maximum (100%) of its output for long periods of time melting the regulator. Electric components should never be allowed to work at levels higher than 80% of their capacity, otherwise they'll burn out. Rebuilding the old 90A machine = polishing old turd. There are modern alternators on the market, more reliable and more powerful.

(picture below is just for illustration purpose only, not an actual Valeo curve)

Power curves compared.jpg

• Like 1

MrDangerUS

• 4 months later...
  • Gold FFM

So a week ago, I take the Esprit out for its Sunday run to keep things moving. Change gear going up the hill and the radio turns off. I think to myself, "Maybe I hit the power button". All of a sudden, the radio turns back on. Then it does the off/on thing again. Hmmm, that's new. Get to the corner and put the indicator on. No indicator. Hmmm, that's new.

Think to myself, I'll try some other electric thingamys. Headlights. Push the button. No headlights. Hmmm, that's new too.

U-turn and head home immediately. Waiting in the driveway for the garage door to open. 2 cylinders all of a sudden and the S4 sounds like a tractor. Hmmm THAT'S new as well. I get it into the garage, but only just. Glad it didn't do that out on the road.

So test the battery. 11.6 volts. Get the car started, rough though and no indication that the alternator is charging. Belt was still on. I didn't check the ignition light with all the goings on. Got the alternator out again and it is on the bench and everything appears to be ok. Slightly higher resistance reading through the brushes and the rotor. Should show about 3.5. I'm getting around 8.

Have to find one of the washers from the long bolt that the alternator pivots on. Always drop the bloody things.

Working one weekend and not working the next. Who knew?

• Gold FFM

Well it is all back together and sitting on the bench waiting to go back in. Cleaned up the slip rings about and an getting a nice 3.6 ohms across the brushes. I'll get some new nylocs as the ones on the long bolt and the adjustment bolt are all a bit weary. Found the missing washer in the last place I looked, so happy about that.

Tested the exciter wire to make sure I am getting 12V there and that is all good, so at this point until I get it in again, I won't know much more.

• Like 2