Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ukraine - Page 10 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Ukraine

LotusLeftLotusRight

1 hour ago, RobinB5 said:

Got me wondering how common 68 would be when the date was summed in this way. Did a histogram of the date 'numbers', the number of occurrences from 1900 to the present day:

Try counting sheep to get to sleep, this is a step too far....

• Haha 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

With the cost of fuel going bonkers am I the only one wondering when the revenue approved mileage rate is going to be increased?

Only here once

On 27/02/2022 at 21:45, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Putin can fire over as many nukes as he likes. I’ve just repaired our garden playhouse that Storm Franklin wrecked. A trip to Wickes for a roll of roof felt, repair brackets, nails and wood screws and I reckon it’ll now withstand a 500 kiloton blast. We’ll be just fine in there. 🤪
From this:

jmb3Jin.jpg

To this:

QJrDGd4.jpg

Which is the before and after ? 😉

22 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

With the cost of fuel going bonkers am I the only one wondering when the revenue approved mileage rate is going to be increased?

They are reviewed monthly, there were some small changes this month. Fuel makes up about 20% of the figure.

1 hour ago, gregs24 said:

They are reviewed monthly

I was under the impression that the Inlad Revenue sets an approved mileage rate for the whole tax year. Not one that varies monthly.

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

31 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

I was under the impression that the Inlad Revenue sets an approved mileage rate for the whole tax year. Not one that varies monthly.

No, updated as and when and notified to employers

25 minutes ago, gregs24 said:

No, updated as and when and notified to employers

Ok cross purposes. I'm PAYE so IR sets it for the tax year.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

21 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Ok cross purposes. I'm PAYE so IR sets it for the tax year.

OK yes. Fuel rates and mileage rates depend on whether you have a company car / pay for fuel etc.

Historical changes for fuel are below but the 45p/mile rate is set for the tax year. The 45p/mile effectively includes the fuel rate but covers all car costs tax free.

Advisory fuel rates (company car drivers) - RossMartin.co.uk

All very interesting to those dodging the bombs in Ukraine.

Can’t believe the Russians have planned civilian evacuation routes to Russia and Belarus. I guess it saves them the trouble of having to take them there themselves at gun point.

• Gold FFM
8 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

You need to get out more.

What's that? Matron won't let you?

All my (house) matron did was taught me how to smoke, do the Times crossword and appreciate Red Dwarf. Love of science and statistics, less so :)

• Gold FFM

Our news said that the planned evacuation routes that the Russians told Ukraine about had land mines buried on them. Journos though. Who knows?

• Sad 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

I sincerely hope Putin's own people remove him and we will hear the war has ended.  Russia will have a lot of explaining to do and will spend years rebuilding Ukraine (at their cost) as an independent nation.

"I thought it was Lambo" -  Thank you very much and now it's time to educate the Exotic Less.

• Gold FFM

There will be a lot of historic buildings that they will never be able to restore.

7 hours ago, Redwing said:

Every time I switch on the news, i hope/dream that the headline will be, "Breaking news from Moscow,  there has been a Palace Coup/Military Coup/Putin has been assassinated".  I find it incredible that the military, financial, political hierarchy over there are allowing one arrogant little sh1t to effectively return themselves to the dark ages. 

For every day that this mayhem is allowed to continue, Russia is effectively alienating itself from the international community by a matter of years. I can't see a way back for them as it stands. 

If someone offered me the opportunity to go to Moscow with a gun, and a guaranteed clear shot at the little c***,  but  on the basis that I would not be coming back. I'd take it.

Yeah. A super duper covert operation to rid the planet of him. Even if he is convicted of war crimes, it'll be too little, too late for a lot of people. I heard a girl on our news, not sure if she was Russian or living in one of the fractionated bits, but kept talking about the Ukrainian nazis and how they have been shelling them for years and we can't let them take over. You'd think if those little countries had been getting shelled, it would have been on the news. The stuff they are being fed is so one-sided it's not funny.

Propaganda.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM
18 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

To be fair I’ve been wondering about this for a long time. Doing 50k + miles a year, I ask this question to my accountant each year and get the same answer.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

so todays demands from russia to ukraine seem to of radically altered in that now they want the anexation of crimea to be recognised and merely for ukraine to remain nuetral i.e not join europe or nato so thats a ma oosive shift in demands and if its true maybe a great oppurtunity for a settlement 

@windymillerI understand though that, first & foremost, there is one other demand - Ukraine must lay down its arms (effectively surrender). 
Would you trust Putin to stick to any agreement? My expectation of him is that he would use the opportunity to try to wipe out the unarmed Ukrainian army & at the same time assassinate Zelenskyy

Just as an aside, and not wishing to detract from the barbaric invasion of Ukraine, how come we didn't get this level of 24/7 headline news about Syria when their own government were quelling the uprising in an equally barbaric manner, in fact worse in many cases?

Because their nearby, bordering the EU? Because their not in the Middle East? Because we consider them a more 'first world' nation?

To be honest, before this I wasn't that au fait with Ukraine or their situation other than it was formerly part of the USSR before that fell. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I work for a Nickel alloy bar and wire manufacturer. Russia is apparently the third biggest producer of Nickel (from their mines). However, they are significantly behind number 1 Indonesia and number 2 Philippines. Nevertheless the sanctions against Russia have driven the London Metal Exchange into a frenzy. On Friday morning, Nickel was trading at an already high $27510 per tonne. By Monday evening it had risen to an all time record $51200 per tonne. By all accounts it’s risen dramatically again today. We are no longer able to issue any quotations or book any new orders for fresh production, since any quotations are obsolete the moment you send them and we cannot keep up! To give you an idea how mad this is, a change of just $1000 per tonne over the course of a day would normally be considered surprising! This will affect stainless steel pricing and deliveries in particular.

My sons ex (but still friends) is from Ukraine, in the UK as a post PhD student, she has managed to contact her mother who is sheltering in a basement in Kyiv, and also spoke to her grandfather - who had been shot at by a Russian soldier while out trying to get some shopping. (not in Kyiv though)  He has lost the concept of what day it is, I don't know how old he is.  We have met her mother once when she visited Exeter, this somehow makes it feel a bit closer to home.

3 hours ago, ramjet said:

There will be a lot of historic buildings that they will never be able to restore.

They will rebuild based on historic plans and photographs. In Europe we have a long history of doing this and when you go to places like Warsaw and see the "old town", which is actually quite new, you see how effective it can be.  It will take time and the rest of Europe will help to rebuild.  Hopefully, many many assets, from homes to yachts to jets, will have been seized from the Oligarchs and the proceeds from their sale will be put to the rebuilding of Ukraine funds.

33 minutes ago, Bibs said:

Just as an aside, and not wishing to detract from the barbaric invasion of Ukraine, how come we didn't get this level of 24/7 headline news about Syria when their own government were quelling the uprising in an equally barbaric manner, in fact worse in many cases?

Because their nearby, bordering the EU? Because their not in the Middle East? Because we consider them a more 'first world' nation?

To be honest, before this I wasn't that au fait with Ukraine or their situation other than it was formerly part of the USSR before that fell. 

I believe Bibs it will be due to the proximity of the EU, more than any other reason.

I worked for a company about 10 years ago that had a large base in Ukraine, and for example, most of our pre-sales engineers were based there. Lovely people. Hard working. Very sociable and welcoming and fiercely bright.

Russia will need to be made to pay a hefty $ price for the destruction they have caused here and the West no needs to boycott ALL Russian goods, including Oil and Gas, no matter how hard it may be.  The Nimbies in the UK that stopped our own efforts to be energy sufficient need to wake up and smell the mortar vapour and we need to stop using good, greenbelt, arable farm land for fcuking cheap housing and make better use of our old industrial brown field sights etc.  This should be a huge wake up call for the "woke-PC" generation that has been asleep for so long.

• Like 1

The small print.

• Gold FFM

I know that they have to rebuild based on old plans etc, but in some cases, things like the ageing of sandstone, or the blackening of it, think of the Dom in Cologne, are very hard to get right so it is seamless. And if we forget the 'things', how long until people get their lives back together?

If all this senseless dick waving ceases, would you move back to the Ukraine if Putin doesn't get ousted?

11 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

This should be a huge wake up call for the "woke-PC" generation that has been asleep for so long.

A wake up call for the free nations in and around Europe and the rest of the world. I see even Mini production has paused as they get some parts from Ukraine, goes to prove that each country should be more self reliant - as we have learnt from Covid PPE etc .... (have we really learned our lessons..)

• Like 1
  • Love 1