Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
EVORA 400 and on Clutch life - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

EVORA 400 and on Clutch life

au-yt

My 400 which is the highest kilometer/mile age car I am aware of in Australia at 70,000. ks ( approx 43,000 mile)

Pre empting the comment about driving style, yes it's life is how its driven etc..

Mine has a combination of mostly free way and and what I know of 3 full track days.

My question is as the 400 clutch was a significance up upgrade to the S, who has changed a clutch on a 4xx and after what distance and what sort of use?

• 2 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
14 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

@DaveC72, how many miles has your 400 got on it? Any clutch issues so far?

43,500. no issues so far. Basic use description is mainly freeway and three full track days.

I am thinking of starting a survey for people to get some idea of clutch.

I think this thread a bit pointless.  Clutches on 400 are not a problem. Or S or the majority of pre-S cars. Yes, a bit labour intensive when required so the cost is more than your average car but the Evora ain't an average car. 

What next? 'Evora 400 carpet wear'?

Justin 

Fair comment, I take the OEM mats out and replace them with outer for the time being,

And as for the cost it is very much dependant an on your finances and being a retiree I need to keep track of them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, au-yt said:

43,500. no issues so far. Basic use description is mainly freeway and three full track days.

I am thinking of starting a survey for people to get some idea of clutch.

No need it’s already been done:

• Like 1

Given my bad luck with starter motors and oil sump you just can’t predict how an item wears out rate ?

I think you need to keep a little pot of money in case or have a warranty cover if possible 

trying to work out if an item wears or fails is a finger in the air as I have learnt over past 4 years of ownership and I think this will apply to any car brand or type ? 

If you can run a rare sports car for under £2,000 per annum averaged over, say, 5 years excluding depreciation/fuel, you are doing very well - assuming it is actually used for at least 4,000+ miles pa. 

I keep a spreadsheet of every penny spent on servicing of all my cars. As a general rule, £3k pa should be enough over an extended period to run a Lotus. Sometimes, you spend very little as my 2010 Evora was for 3 years, then a wallop of £8k with gearbox repair and very little since. 

Exige I spent nothing but only owned for 8 months, 3000 miles, 7 years old. 

I bought a S1 Elise in 2018 with FSH, 55,000 miles, it cost £5k in repairs in the first 2000 miles. Very little since. 

Of course this is very general, the main point being, don't expect to run a Lotus for a few hundred £ pa. Allowing a sensible budget and preparing for it will mean you will enjoy the ownership experience all the more. And Lotus over 4 years old have glacial depreciation even as the mileage racks up.

What a useful thread 😅 

Justin 

• Like 1

Had the car serviced today and a long chat about the clutch and their comment was after a exam and drive test , don’t worry about it and from trying a 410 this morning I would estimate it’s a bit over 50% worn.
Service cost wise my 400 here in Sydney been the same as a very much the same as my other cars.

I didn’t think the cost of the clutch kit was too bad as I found out it’s made by AP.

As I said it’s just an estimate. Make that a gestimate. 
Discussions with the tech,s  the weight  of a newish clutch the cars previous use and IF it lasts 60,000 miles. 

On 10/03/2022 at 10:45, jep said:

If you can run a rare sports car for under £2,000 per annum averaged over, say, 5 years excluding depreciation/fuel, you are doing very well - assuming it is actually used for at least 4,000+ miles pa. 

I keep a spreadsheet of every penny spent on servicing of all my cars. As a general rule, £3k pa should be enough over an extended period to run a Lotus. Sometimes, you spend very little as my 2010 Evora was for 3 years, then a wallop of £8k with gearbox repair and very little since. 

Exige I spent nothing but only owned for 8 months, 3000 miles, 7 years old. 

I bought a S1 Elise in 2018 with FSH, 55,000 miles, it cost £5k in repairs in the first 2000 miles. Very little since. 

Of course this is very general, the main point being, don't expect to run a Lotus for a few hundred £ pa. Allowing a sensible budget and preparing for it will mean you will enjoy the ownership experience all the more. And Lotus over 4 years old have glacial depreciation even as the mileage racks up.

What a useful thread 😅 

Justin 

I knew I wasn't the only person who keeps a spreadsheet. I now have evidence for friends and family 🤣

So far, 12 years and 47k miles and here is the summary of expenditure, which I think is pretty reasonable tbh...

IMG_20220311_153118.thumb.jpg.9e7ecc8eb6775b6f3ebe85064ef1b5b1.jpg

• Haha 2

Running expenses are very reasonable for 12 years, though if the car was new, I would expect very little in the first 4 to 6 years, as warranty will cover big bills and it would be very unlucky to have a large bill before 6 years in my experience. 

I bought an 8 year old Clio RS200, low mileage. Owned for 2 years, 16,000 miles, lived outside, servicing was under £500. You can get lucky at times and I sold it for only £1,000 less than price paid (from a dealer with warranty).

It is mandatory to have a spreadsheet for Excel (Lotus).

Justin

• 3 weeks later...

Just had my 400 serviced and told the clutch is heavy and to be fair it is.  only done 31k, what generally happens? Does the clutch actually fail? Thinking that I will use it through the season and do something over the winter.

also had a P2602 coolant pump circuit fault.  They said they couldn't clear it but after I started it the spanner went out and on arriving home no codes in my AutoPhix OM126p reader.  Could it be the reader cannot see the errors?