Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
GT410 Sport to ‘Phil’s Spec’ - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

GT410 Sport to ‘Phil’s Spec’

Go to solution Solved by Spinney,

Ok so maybe an odd topic here but I’m wondering what exactly constitutes a ‘Phil’s spec’ car in terms of suspension, compared to a standard GT410 Sport?

I’ve come to the conclusion my car is just a little too harsh for my liking over many of the damaged road surfaces we have in the U.K.  I was originally planning to track the car but after more than 3 years of ownership I haven’t yet done so, although I am doing a Bell & Colvill track day at Hethel in July. I very much doubt I will be doing many/any more and so the idea of more compliant suspension for normal road use is becoming more appealing. 

Obviously the dampers are rated differently but does anybody know if the spring rates are too and is the geometry setting different for the ‘softer’ version?

I’m seriously considering changing my suspension and either keeping everything to put back on the car when it’s eventually sold or maybe even finding a buyer for the parts now. 

Does anybody have any idea about this please?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You’re a star Bibs. Much appreciated!👍

When I ordered the car I could have gone for the touring spec suspension but at the time I thought that would be a bit wussy! 🤦😁

I’m assuming ’Phil’s spec’ is probably the touring suspension that I could have had but not 100% sure of that. The standard GT410 Sport suspension does rattle your fillings somewhat. 

• Gold FFM

Perhaps you should get over to the Emira section and "have a word" with a few in there...... 🤣

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

My Lotus History - 1998 Elise S1 (sold) - 1993 Esprit S4 (sold) - 2004 Elise S2 111S (sold) - 1995 M100 Elan S2 (sold) - 2014 Evora S IPS Sports Racer (sold) - 2023 Emira i4 First Edition V6 Auto (Touring Chassis, Hethel Yellow, Full Black Pack, Black Alcantara /Yellow Stitch interior and Steering Wheel, Yellow Calipers, Privacy Glass, Tracker)

I’m sure the older I get, the more I’m turning into James May. The last few years he’s been complaining about cars that have been developed by doing the fastest lap around the ‘Ring. Such cars will almost always have teeth jarring suspension that rattles the eyeballs on most British B roads. 

Lotus have always been known for pulling off the feat of making cars that handle remarkably well whilst having comfortable suspension. The original S1 Evora was highly praised for following that tradition so it can’t be that bad to stick with a softer setup. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Any update on this yet please Bibs?
Having watched Harry Metcalfe’s review of both sport and touring spec Emiras, he just confirms my own thoughts about the differences. I’m aware the Evora differences may not equate to what he experienced but I’m sure, from my own previous Evora drives, the touring spec will be a lot more compliant. 
Cheers 👍

Watching Harry Metcalfe's review of the Emira, the spring rates on the Sport are only 5% stiffer than the Touring. However the damper settings are quite different and make a HUGE difference (he didn't like the Sport at all, but loved the Touring).

So spring rates alone don't tell the whole story.

41 minutes ago, EGTE said:

(he didn't like the Sport at all, but loved the Touring).

FWIW, that's not really correct. Certainly not in the video that I watched. He just preferred the Touring set up on his favourite local road.

As Harry said, your choice of suspension spec will largely depend on your type of driving, mainly road use or more track focused. I'm sure if you want to use it on track a lot, then the sport suspension compromise will be quite acceptable but for those, like me, whose use is almost entirely road, then the touring spec will be the one to go for.

I'm sure some folk new to Lotus may well think the touring spec won't allow the car to handle especially well but then, they don't know/understand what Lotus is about. Harry said even Gavan Kershaw would suggest the touring spec for the majority so that's good enough for me (and Harry it seems). 

Just getting back to my Evora, if the spring rates are higher than the touring spec, I'll take a view on replacing those too. Probably I will just replace dampers to start, since they are the main contributor to the hard ride, and see where that takes me. I've owned more Lotus cars than I care to remember since the late 60's and the one overriding feature of them all, until getting my current car, is the compliancy built in to the suspension - beautiful handling but not at the cost of comfort. Even my previous Exige V6, which I would regard as more hardcore than the Evora, had more compliant suspension. To be fair, choosing the sport suspension was entirely my fault and I just hadn't appreciated how different the ride would feel to all my many previous Lotus. C'est la vie folks!

Thanks for your update Bibs. Very much appreciated. :thumbup:

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

It's a real shame that the Emira Drivers Pack options weren't called "Road" and "Track" from the start......

• Like 1

My Lotus History - 1998 Elise S1 (sold) - 1993 Esprit S4 (sold) - 2004 Elise S2 111S (sold) - 1995 M100 Elan S2 (sold) - 2014 Evora S IPS Sports Racer (sold) - 2023 Emira i4 First Edition V6 Auto (Touring Chassis, Hethel Yellow, Full Black Pack, Black Alcantara /Yellow Stitch interior and Steering Wheel, Yellow Calipers, Privacy Glass, Tracker)

Fahrwerk_Evora_Einstellungen.pdf

Beside the hardware (Damper, Springs, Anti-roll bar, ARB bushes) the changes in Camber, Toe-in etc. can be found in my file 😉

One can see, how they have tuned the Evora to more and more agressiv Camber..

• Like 1
For the few who know the difference

• Gold FFM
On 08/06/2022 at 10:51, Bravo73 said:

FWIW, that's not really correct. Certainly not in the video that I watched. He just preferred the Touring set up on his favourite local road.

And from personal experience that bit of road is SERIOUSLY bumpy and also tests rapid side to side camber change so I'm not surprised he wouldn't appreciate the sports suspension on that!

Don’t tell me, as a gesture of goodwill due to the number of their cars I’ve bought over the years, Lotus are presenting me FOC with a brand new Emira - touring spec obvs!😉😂

Anyhow, that presentation aside, many thanks as always Bibs. I wait with baited breath. 👌😁

That’s brilliant thanks Bibs. 👍Sorry I only just picked up your post as I’m out of the country (and mostly out of internet range) until 27th. 
Great news that’s all it involves though. Should be a relatively cheap mod just for a change. My wife will be pleased! 😁

Part nos and prices would be brilliant too thanks. 👌