Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Cambelt---current advice. - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Cambelt---current advice.

Roy Lewington

Cambelt is due for a change.  It was a Lotus belt fitted Feb 2018 and has done 3000 miles.   So what are the current change recommendations?  There seem to be plenty of belts available going from £45 to well above £100.  Lotus and non-Lotus.   I do not want a blue belt on my car.  'Lotus Bits' advertise a German-made belt and I quote 'Made from the same HSN material as the OEM Lotus one, allowing generous change intervals potentially as much as 50000 miles'.

So what is the current advice.  My gut feeling is to go with a genuine Lotus belt and change it every 4 years.   Any thoughts?  Roy.

• Gold FFM

Gates 5206 is in wide use as a replacement, and I've fitted them to scores of cars without issue.  It is 1mm narrower than the Lotus belt which was in fact manufactured by Gates.  If you can find a Gates 5168, it's exactly the same as the Lotus one.

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• 3 weeks later...

When I went looking for a better belt for my  G-car, I found that one of the older Nissan motors used a trapezoidal belt, for which Gates makes the T104RB "racing" Blue Belt. 1mm narrower than OEM, but the better material and slips right on.

So if you still have a trapezoidal pully set, there's an option for you.

I get how a blue belt can look out of place surrounded by lots of black rubber pipes, and if in a concourse show then might even detract. The rubber of the "standard" belt of the curved tooth system is more than adequate, the blue belt just gives the extra comfort (or longer intervals)

There isn't going to be a specified interval as we would be using it in a non-recommended situation, but you could easily push the belt replacement out by an extra year probably more. For some that might be every two years instead of one (because some of us worry), for others three years instead of two.

I certainly would push the interval like that, but some owners are extra cautious. If it's a job that a garage will perform, that's a few £hundred each time, so an extra £50-£100 on a belt that pushes even just an extra year would make financial sense, an extra two or more years is even better financial, sense to me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...