Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Car hire recommendations Rome August - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Car hire recommendations Rome August

Does anyone know of reasonable car hire for Rome in August.  Seems to be a total piss take. £1200 for 2 weeks! without decent insurance. Or am I just out of touch?   Personally I would prefer an older car so not worried about damage.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What size car? rentalcars.com are coming back with around £1k for a VW T-Roc and the like. I always have excess insurance (i.e. www.icarhireinsurance.com) - saves having to but all the extra add-ons.

Avoid Goldcar, the Golf I had from them in March was damaged on every single panel, the mirrors were different colours and the a-pillars covered in cigarette burns. The key looked like it had been eaten by a dog, twice. I paid for an upgrade too which didn't appear! 

That was about £150 for 4 days. When we booked a car in June for the South of France, it was more like £120 a day so prices have really perked up and I think it's a combination of travel restrictions now gone and more so, a massive lack of new cars for the hire companies to source their stock. 

Same as Chris, we always get an external company to provide the extra cover and excess cover, that's still very cheap! 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I'll also always go and check the "main" website to compare the costs. I ended up booking with Hertz direct for our Mexico adventure, but Firefly in Barcelona was booked through rental cars a couple of years running (upgraded from fiat 500 to a Zafira as the 500 was not an automatic as booked).

I have also heard that the lack of new cars is a factor in the price hikes.

• 1 month later...

So i’m wanting to book on rental cars, but I want to understand what i lose if I cancel.  I got caught out last year booking car rental with hotels.com and had to cancel 4 months before the time.  Had I paid in full I would have got everything back.  As I only paid a 10% deposit I lost the deposit. How does it work on rentalcars.com

thx

On 04/02/2023 at 20:12, esprit22 said:

Why would you want a car in Rome? Use the things on the end of your legs! 

we are only in Rome for 2 days then going to my dad's village.  I've ended up getting car hire from Cassino (nr where my dad was from.  Getting the train down from Rome. 

Yeah, rental prices have doubled at least. We have been charging £900 a week for a 7 seater from an Airport. 

Things are slowly coming back but there is still a huge shortage of supply and as such we have to make the same money but form a third of the number of cars. 

Demand way outstrips supply right now and our utilisation used to be 62% is now 98%.

Try these guys, they search everyone and give you the best price. I used them for cyprus a couple of years ago and it saved me £300 over the best elsewhere,

https://www.holidayautos.com/en?clientID=477073&_$ja=tsid:70550|cid:147184924|agid:6597382924|tid:kwd-14150243|crid:516303357284|nw:g|rnd:3389798660678427951|dvc:c|adp:|mt:e|loc:1006964&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8IvRj6uB_QIVhdLtCh0mHQw6EAAYASAAEgKGQ_D_BwE#/searchcars

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Stop me and buy one!!