Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora S aftermarket exhaust tone - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora S aftermarket exhaust tone

TrevS

Hi all

After having my 2010 Evora S for a few weeks I think I might want to change the exhaust. The car sounds pretty good but I don’t think it’s quite loud enough for me.

I don’t want something super obnoxious and would prefer the exhaust tone to be a higher pitch yowl than low down growl/burble. 

The one exhaust I think sounds pretty good is the Top Speed titanium exhaust with resonator. It doesn’t seem too loud at ideal but has that nice yowl sort of tone that I like when revved.

If anyone has any recommendations for other options or experience with the Top Speed exhaust then please share. 

Thanks

Trev

Edited by TrevS

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Do you know if your car has had the 3rd cat delete yet Trev? If not that’s an easy quick win (relatively) compared to expense of new exhaust. 

Yours is an early S so will have been fitted with the 3rd cat, like mine was (which was a bit later than yours I think). 

On 25/11/2023 at 10:57, TrevS said:

Hi all

After having my 2010 Evora S for a few weeks I think I might want to change the exhaust. The car sounds pretty good but I don’t think it’s quite loud enough for me.

I don’t want something super obnoxious and would prefer the exhaust tone to be a higher pitch yowl than low down growl/burble. 

The one exhaust I think sounds pretty good is the Top Speed titanium exhaust with resonator. It doesn’t seem too loud at ideal but has that nice yowl sort of tone that I like when revved.

If anyone has any recommendations for other options or experience with the Top Speed exhaust then please share. 

Thanks

Trev

That sounds a way bit too (wet) farty for me.

Go with 3rd cat delete and a 2Bular. You won't be disappointed.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Posted (edited)

Back on to looking at exhaust options again. I've been looking at 2Bular and Larini as my prefered options. I think I'll start with a 3rd cat delete and seeing how I get on and then possibly looking to further upgrade to full exhaust if needed. If I go for an exhaust I think I am swaying towards Larini just because I personally prefer the single exhaust exit style.

Does anyone know if Larini offer a de-cat pipe? They offer a secondary race exhaust pipe, is this the same thing? It also says off road use only so will this work for road application?

https://www.larinisystems.com/collection/lotus/evora-s/larini-secondary-race-exhaust-pipe

As an alternative could I fit a 2Bular decat pipe and then add a Larini exhaust or is the general consesus to stick with the same manufacturer for both?

Edited by TrevS

I have a standard back box, with 2bular manifolds & sports cat. Volume is up (but not as loud as a mate with a V6 exige who had oem manifolds with the 2bular backbox around the same time), and whilst it's lost a smidge of gargle, the sound is "harder" and it now crackles a bit on the over-run. Most importantly (for me) it's changed the character of the car : low end and mid-range grunt are still as strong, but the shove no longer drops off as you approach the redline - it's definitely more urgent at the top end of the rev range (which is where you'd expect a free-er flowing system to deliver results).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jovver said:

They have it all the larini exhausts on elise shop, I think the link below may be what you are looking for?

https://www.elise-shop.com/larini-secondary-de-cat-pipe/

I'm tempted by the larini manifold and sports cat....

I assume the sports cat replaces the 3rd cat but allows for slightly better brathing and therefore slight power increase? The manifolds look lovely. Will you run the stock exhaust back box?

1 minute ago, mik said:

I have a standard back box, with 2bular manifolds & sports cat. Volume is up (but not as loud as a mate with a V6 exige who had oem manifolds with the 2bular backbox around the same time), and whilst it's lost a smidge of gargle, the sound is "harder" and it now crackles a bit on the over-run. Most importantly (for me) it's changed the character of the car : low end and mid-range grunt are still as strong, but the shove no longer drops off as you approach the redline - it's definitely more urgent at the top end of the rev range (which is where you'd expect a free-er flowing system to deliver results).

Really useful. I'm also getting a lot of rattling/heatshield vibration noise from the back of the car. I haven't been able to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from but happens at idle and slow 5-10 mph and the car sounds a bit rough. I was wondering if it could be exhaust/cat related so I think removing that 3rd cat could be a relatively cheap mod that might help with the noise I have.

I already have the titanium tipped Lotus sports exhaust and 3rd cat delete, which, along with the BOE intake makes it sound great!

However, it looks one of the cats higher up is failing, so (man maths at work here...) I'm tempted to go for the Larinin manilfolds, and reinstall a Larini secondary sports cat as the main one, and keep the Lotus back box..

Allegedly a small power increase, but who knows? 🙂

3 hours ago, Jovver said:

They have it all the larini exhausts on elise shop, I think the link below may be what you are looking for?

https://www.elise-shop.com/larini-secondary-de-cat-pipe/

I'm tempted by the larini manifold and sports cat....

The Larini decat pipe does say track use only. Are these ok for road use? https://www.elise-shop.com/larini-secondary-de-cat-pipe/

The Janspeed Lotus sport back box on my S1 clearly says track use only on it… I also have a 3rd cat delete pipe and haven’t had any issues at MOT.

i may have a noise issue at Castle Combe in May, though I’ve been assured it should be ok… we will see.

for me, the system sounds fantastic, especially at higher revs and has lots of off throttle gurgles around town.

Pretty much. A very diligent copper could start proceedings based on Construction & Use Regs in so much that any deviation from OEM which increases noise could be an offence but I've never heard of anyone being done unless it's a proper asbo system. 

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

i recently fitted the 3" Larini system (marketed as the evora 400 system) to my s1 LE,

its the full manifolds, sports cat, valved back box.

it sounds great, seems to have more torque and top end power. 

all round very happy with it.

i've currently hooked it up in quiet mode, but almost finished a plug and play switchable solution, as the launch edition didn't have provision for this. 

a short drive in valve fully open mode, confirms it's loud with the valve open!

On 28/03/2024 at 12:55, grog said:

i recently fitted the 3" Larini system (marketed as the evora 400 system) to my s1 LE,

its the full manifolds, sports cat, valved back box.

it sounds great, seems to have more torque and top end power. 

all round very happy with it.

i've currently hooked it up in quiet mode, but almost finished a plug and play switchable solution, as the launch edition didn't have provision for this. 

a short drive in valve fully open mode, confirms it's loud with the valve open!

Ohhh, very nice. I would love a full system but budget not allowing me right now. Also really interesting that you have a 400 system on an S1. I've always felt the 400's sounded a lot better than the S1's and I'd read that they used a wider diameter system but didn't know if a 400 (3") setup would work on an S1, and it seems it does. I'd love to hear what it sounds like @grog, we need a video.

Trev

• Gold FFM

I agree with Trev. It was always the word on the street that you couldn't easily get a 400 system on an S1.

Would be great to know if it sounds like a 400 and if it's a sod to fit.

The centre exhaust hanger on the exhaust needed to be re-bent to fit.

Otherwise it was OK, with a tweak of some of the heatshields.

It's touching the undetray in one spot, but touching enough that it doesn't rattle. Apparently the 'fix' used is to cut a little hole in the undertray. My mechanic recommended that we leave it to the next service, either the stainless exhaust will wear a spot in the undertray showing exactly where to cut, or we might put a bit of silicon hose between the undertray and exhaust. 

I'll try and get a video this week.

• Like 1