Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Is electric really the answer? - Page 28 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Is electric really the answer?

• Gold FFM
7 hours ago, Bibs said:

Had a chat in the pub the other night, keen to see the TLF opinion...

Can I drive my EV underwater providing the seals and waterproofing is up to the job of course? Theoretically, I'm not going to try but I couldn't see (sea?!) why not! 

If the seals etc are up to the job, won’t the buoyancy from all of that air make the car float? Unless it comes with auto props, it won’t be able to be driven. 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• 2 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

In the this mad scramble to go all electric, what are the implications for the thousands of people who have caravans, boats or trailers?  Are EVs any good at towing, are we going to see motor burn outs, battery fires, brake failures and "range anxiety " take on a whole new meaning?

I have not seen this mentioned or discussed anywhere and was wondering if any of the good folk on here had any ideas?

Lady next door to me has 2 horses, and so uses a 3. litre. diesel truck to take them out with her horsebox.  Our field is cut / turned/bailed by tractor. We cut grass using quad bikes and petrol mowers, petrol chain saws......etc... 

Many folks will have to keep an older vehicle to undertake trips that the electric ones cannot cope with. Not everyone lives in a city or within walking distance of shops etc

When it comes to getting the wife's next car there will be some heated debates in the household.

• Gold FFM
15 minutes ago, Bibs said:

My e-Niro can't have a tow bar fitted, it's not rated for towing anything! 

AAEA9670-9140-407F-BECD-610A04E34601.thumb.png.84ba41cbf0c021aba92a189bdffa65a3.png

now go and buy that caravan 🤪

Only here once

@Barrykearley, while that exists, towing anything would be illegal. It's got zero capacity to tow and to be fair, I've never towed anything in my life but was answering the previous poster regarding towing with a popular EV. 

Opera Snapshot_2021-07-30_101904_www.kia.com.png

That said, others can tow - https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-advice/160343/towing-with-an-electric-car-hybrid-or-plug-in-hybrid

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Latest Which? report shows that from a cost of ownership approach EV's still have some way to go. They will get there, but as usual when you see people with EV's saying it only cost me a half eaten pork pie and a few pennies to charge my car for 300 miles" you realise just how one sided the comms are on EV's.

3 year cost of ownership examples (same mileage, servicing, fuel etc...) from Which? who are independent and not part of the car industry etc:

Mini One (petrol)   £21,203         Electric   £27,827

Peugeot 2008 (petrol) £28,511   Electric   £32,733

They calculated it would take 11 years for the Electric to "break even" with the Petrol based on current fuel rates, taxes, etc

The Peugeot would "pay back" in 7 years

As very few buy a new car and keep them for this period, it means that EV's will be a very good 2nd hand buy potentially, providing with age, we do not see a series of issues with the batteries as their replacement will be horrendously expensive.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Anyone have experience of so called smart ev chargers. I know that our local transformer would not cope with chargers being added to properties, as the guy next door works for western power distribution - or transformer is operating at/over it supposed limit..

Also just seen this.   Home car charger owners urged to install updates  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58011014

It looks as if it had been possible to hack the smart charger and possibly have access to your home network. (bugs fixed)

@Bibs I know you have a home charger  how did you pick what charger to install or was it done by the car company? I am just thinking of looking into this. I don't know anyone you has a ev car... out where we live almost everyone uses diesel (redish) - but we are just petrol.

I will have to go and annoy one of the guys at JLR and ask them loads of questions.

• Gold FFM

I did a supply/meter upgrade from 3x100a to 3x200a last weekend at a car dealership to support car charging. 

Had a good chat to the Western Power guy whom was based in Burton on Trent. In that area all new builds were being rolled out with 3phase to every property. He seemed to think the plan was to balance the phases across the development by stipulation at each property which phase was to be used for house, Pv and car charging.

if that’s going to be a thing - then it sure sounded a very sensible move.

Only here once

Agree a really great piece from Harry. Lord Bamford had a point    “Mystified by Musk” if a company like JCB can make this a viable solution in such a short space of time what are the giant corporations doing? JCB should be lobbying BOJO hard to ensure GB leads the world in bringing this to market. Last time this happened was post WW2 when we were the worlds leading jet aircraft designer/suppliers 🇬🇧 👍

I never understood the reluctance with Hydrogen IC engines. Great video, someone thinking (and coming up with solutions) in a truly practical manner, and British Engineering - good on JCB. The first truly workable solution I have seen for farming / construction industries, great stuff.

• Gold FFM

I think I may be converted but in a different way. I was looking for some servicing spares for my Stiga lawn tractor and discovered they now do an electric version. No more stinky fumes, noise, heat and the servicing of the engine parts.

As with all electric vehicles it's priced way out there when compared to their petrol counterparts at over £4k. Shame. 

Signature not working...

To replace my ride on would be around 3k anyway (did look at one closer to £5k), have seen this at a garden centre, but wonder how hard it would be to push up my field when it runs out of energy. Bought a new tow behind flail mower 2 years ago at a cost of £4.8k. So may consider something like this in a couple of years.

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/07/2021 at 23:39, electro_boy said:

Interesting video regarding industrial vehicles:

This is well worth watching.

Our government seems to be waking up to the potential of hydrogen as a fuel.  I hope/wish that Lotus/Geely do the same.  I will never own an electric car, never mind a Lotus.  A hydrogen powered Lotus?  Now that would be something I would seriously consider. 

Chevrolet are recalling all their Bolt electric vehicles over a fire issue with the batteries

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

• Gold FFM

A propos lawnmowers: I bought a battery flymo last year for various reasons. I went to use it at the start of this year and the batteries were dead. 

Flymo are unable to supply replacements and I can find no alternative. So, £300 up the Swanee and had to buy another. Went for a Gtech. They, at least, list replacement batteries (at a third of the price of the whole mower).

Imagine when you scale it up to cars!

• Like 1

On 30/07/2021 at 11:59, C8RKH said:

Latest Which? report shows that from a cost of ownership approach EV's still have some way to go. They will get there, but as usual when you see people with EV's saying it only cost me a half eaten pork pie and a few pennies to charge my car for 300 miles" you realise just how one sided the comms are on EV's.

3 year cost of ownership examples (same mileage, servicing, fuel etc...) from Which? who are independent and not part of the car industry etc:

Mini One (petrol)   £21,203         Electric   £27,827

Peugeot 2008 (petrol) £28,511   Electric   £32,733

They calculated it would take 11 years for the Electric to "break even" with the Petrol based on current fuel rates, taxes, etc

The Peugeot would "pay back" in 7 years

As very few buy a new car and keep them for this period, it means that EV's will be a very good 2nd hand buy potentially, providing with age, we do not see a series of issues with the batteries as their replacement will be horrendously expensive.

I don't think this takes into account the Tax breaks on Company Cars. 1% BIK for 2021 and 2% for 22/23. So if you are a higher rate tax payer the tax savings can be quite significant against the monthy fees. I'm looking into this currently and it's quite attractive.

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

It was about private purchases not company purchases/schemes - so about what normal people would pay etc.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Appreciate that. Was just trying to explain why cars were being sold  

you saying I’m not normal :hrhr:

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.