Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Is electric really the answer? - Page 84 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Is electric really the answer?

I just came across an article describing the first hydrogen powered charger for EVs. While certainly less efficient then using hydrogen directly in the car, it could be solution in remote locations or if (when) the electric network has insufficient capacity. And easier to defend than the diesel generators that are now being used in some locations.

Not much details about the technology, I assume fuel cells with little or no storage capacity in the charger. At 120kW it still means you're in for ca 45 min to fully charge a larger battery. Which for me remains the biggest barrier, with no technology offering a viable solution.

The article in French or Dutch: https://viewer.pmg.be/fr/newsletter/ECFbe2422E02/ECFbe2420S20_00

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

11 hours ago, Escape said:

While certainly less efficient then using hydrogen directly in the car, it could be solution in remote locations

Certainly better than one of these...

image.png.fbb13654c4370e6eb2768dd67443d114.png

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Proven and reliable, nothing wrong with that. 😉 Only problem is, it doesn't fit with the whole EV narrative.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Second time Henrik Fisker has gone for bankruptcy since 2013, does not look good.

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/us-government-cracks-down-on-foreign-tech-casting-doubt-on-future-of-chinese-made-evs/303461

US government cracks down on foreign tech, casting doubt on future of Chinese-made EVs

A raft of new defence policies that view Chinese-made tech as a threat to national security also threaten the sale of Chinese EVs in the US.

Earlier this year, President Joe Biden announced that his government was opening an investigation into the security risk that Chinese-made cars might pose, potentially slamming the brakes on Chinese brands entering the US market.

We should follow but the next Govt (we all know who it will be) are absolutely 100% behind a full ban of all Petrol and Diesel cars by 2030. They will struggle without the Chinese because all European car makers charge twice, maybe 3 times as much as the Chinese.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Of course EV batteries are safe! 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/crgggmeyjj7o

A massive factory fire that began after several lithium batteries exploded has killed at least 22 people in South Korea.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

We are sleep walking into losing the next war.

It's quite remarkable really.

We have no real capability in the UK anymore to "make" big things. Tanks. Planes. Ships. They all need complex metals and composites. Where do we get them from?

The majority of the vehicles used in this country are made elsewhere. Cars. Vans. Lorries. Buses. Trains. In this world of complex vehicles, autonomous operation, and centralised control, it would not be hard to paralyse the transport infrastructure of the country (any developed country for that mater).

We import most of the oil, and a significant chunk of the gas we need. We are lightyears away from energy independence. What "Just Stop Oil" cannot answer, because they are so fooking thick they haven't even contemplated it) is what happens if we stop the oil tomorrow? Total chaos. Everything stops. Including the heating. We become strangled by countries that "don't stop oil" and the cost of everything doubles, or even triples, practically over night. People die. Simples.

Short termism and fookwittery is everywhere these days. Common sense and preparation and forward planning. Hah.......

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/dire-warning-from-stellantis-as-it-says-it-could-close-uk-factories-over-stupid-ev-policy/303775

Dire warning from Stellantis as it says it could close UK factories over EV quotas and demand

Stellantis may be forced to shut its Ellesmere Port and Luton plants if quota rules over EVs aren’t loosened and demand doesn’t increase. 

That was the dire warning today from the manufacturer’s UK MD, Maria Grazia Davino, who told a press conference organised by the SMMT at its International Automotive Summit that the Vauxhall, Citroen and Peugeot manufacturer would decide on its operations here in ‘less than a year’.

She said the government was ‘stupid’ for not working with the automotive industry in order to save jobs.

43 minutes ago, jep said:

Stellantis: a conglomerate of the damned. 

They include one of my 3 favourite brands.... Jeep.   

from exeterjeep.....

1 hour ago, jep said:

Stellantis: a conglomerate of the damned. 

Love Stellantis, my biggest dealers are Stellantis dealers and we buy an awful lot of vehicles from the whole group.

They have been pro EV so for them to talk like this there is a major issue. We knew that anyway as despite what the SMMT and Govt try and say like "EV sales are up 13%, which is half of last years rise but still a positive increase" we know that there are thousands of EV Pre Reg's every month to hit quota's and they are making huge losses on these. Plus the likes of us still won't buy them as they don't fit the profile for what we need for our fleet.

I'm glad it works for some. 

I just see Stellantis as the failed marques in one pot of desperation. 

My prejudice isn't helped by being cars I have no interest in. I adored Fiat until circa 1995 (500 good but it's a Ford Ka really and the Twin Air engine was a con), likewise Citroen until the C6 died. Peugeot lost its way after 106. 

I'm thankful Renault still make mildly interesting daily wagons and Fords are still interesting to drive.

Justin

The Govt and idiot Activists are killing the industry before it's time. Pretty much most of the cars we buy are being discontinued for EV's.

The Rio went last year, Focus and Fiesta, Diesel big cars like the Sportage and 5008 and the list goes on.

Sadly there are no EV alternatives for the rental industry and we just can't rent them OR make a margin on defleet which is our main business!

The Activists don't care but the Politicians should know better.

In my industry alone we could see hundreds of thousands of lay offs and billions off GDP and even more in the General car industry.

• Like 2

I recon we'll be seeing lots of Chinese made cars on our roads in the future, as the UK isn't going to put tariffs on Chinese made cars, as it fits in with Labour's net zero policy.

And BMW's and Merc's will be with be the preserve of the rich (like they used to be in the 60s/70s/80s).

25 minutes ago, Mark Blanchard said:

And BMW's and Merc's will be with be the preserve of the rich (like they used to be in the 60s/70s/80s).

Ha, BMW's were selling 3 series faster than Ford where selling Sierra's in the 80's, Mondeo's in the '90s.  In my experience, the real "rich" drive old Land Rover Defenders and old Volvo estates.

The UK may well be forced to follow the EU's stance on tariffs on Chinese EV's, or, face the wrath of the EU to close any "back door" route for them to Europe.

However, if Labour were really smart they'd be pushing the Chinese top invest in EV manufacturing in the UK, as a route to the European market.

Indeed, I had a meeting with one of the Port CEO's yesterday where I was brokering a potential deal for a Far Eastern EV Charge Point and microgrid manufacturer to invest  inbasing R&D and manufacturing operations here, in the UK, for those exact reasons.  We need to play the cards we have well, and if we do, this could be very good for the UK.

On 26/06/2024 at 17:22, Chillidoggy said:

Can’t the green activists go and live on an island somewhere instead of here?

Greenland?

No. Greenland is too stable. Can we not put them on an unstable, volcanic island. Preferably one with dinosaurs on it. They could then become "green" nutrients for the animals.

• Like 1

The small print.

1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

Ha, BMW's were selling 3 series faster than Ford where selling Sierra's in the 80's, Mondeo's in the '90s.  In my experience, the real "rich" drive old Land Rover Defenders and old Volvo estates.

The UK may well be forced to follow the EU's stance on tariffs on Chinese EV's, or, face the wrath of the EU to close any "back door" route for them to Europe.

However, if Labour were really smart they'd be pushing the Chinese top invest in EV manufacturing in the UK, as a route to the European market.

Indeed, I had a meeting with one of the Port CEO's yesterday where I was brokering a potential deal for a Far Eastern EV Charge Point and microgrid manufacturer to invest  inbasing R&D and manufacturing operations here, in the UK, for those exact reasons.  We need to play the cards we have well, and if we do, this could be very good for the UK.

No. Greenland is too stable. Can we not put them on an unstable, volcanic island. Preferably one with dinosaurs on it. They could then become "green" nutrients for the animals.

I was thinking they’d provide much-needed nourishment for the struggling polar bear population. And what’s more, it’s sustainable because they’re like Whack a Moles.

• Love 1

Margate Exotics.