Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Turn signal stalk and wiper stalk on wrong side - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Turn signal stalk and wiper stalk on wrong side

Can I switch the turn signal stalk on an LHD Esprit S1 to the left side of the steering wheel and the wiper stalk to the right side? What happened here? Seen a few Esprit S1’s where they have switched sides. Can it be reversed?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, cschriks said:

Can it be reversed?

I did it on my S3, you'll need to drill a hole in order to move the roll pin that cancels the indicator.

Cheers,

John W

I did it on my Excel and Esprit Turbo SE. Easy enough, but obviously the icons are upside down now.

In my case, it was the other way around, to the RHS in a RHD car. I found this more logical to operate and was used to it from my RHD Triumph. I understand it was standard practice to have the indicator on the outside in cars up to the late 70s, so different RHD and LHD. Afterwards the indicators are always on the left, as in a LHD?

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

42 minutes ago, Escape said:

I understand it was standard practice to have the indicator on the outside in cars up to the late 70s, so different RHD and LHD. Afterwards the indicators are always on the left, as in a LHD?

I think it is still region dependent?

My 2009 Vauxhall VXR8 (which is a essentially a (terribly) re-badged Holden Special Vehicles Commodore Clubsport) was RHD but had the indicator stalk on the RHS. It takes a long time to re-train your muscle memory - to stop signaling with your wipers - and just as long to train it back again when you sell the car..... 🥴

Surprised to hear abut the Holden. Maybe the Aussies are sticking to their logic, because there isn't much export?

All the RHD Lotus, Land Rover, Jaguar, TVR, ... from UK I've ever driven (or looked at in detail) had the indicator stalk on the left, just like a LHD, except those from before 1980.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Esprit - 1982, wipers on the left
  • Excel - 1989, wipers on the right
  • Mitsubishi Pajero hired in Zambia, wipers on the left - 2006ish imported 2nd hand from Japan.

Everything else wipers on the right.

I'm replacing my stalks with ones from an early Excel for the same reason - indicators on the right in my Elite.  I just know that I'll turn the wipers on repeatedly when I want to turn!!

Pete

Are they not the same switches fitted through all the earliest cars? 

On 19/03/2024 at 09:47, jonwat said:

I did it on my S3, you'll need to drill a hole in order to move the roll pin that cancels the indicator.

Did you use the same parts? Can you show or tell me where the hole should be and how big? Much appreciated!

4 hours ago, cschriks said:

Did you use the same parts?

Yes

Can you show or tell me where the hole should be ?

It was a very long time ago so no, not really but it will be pretty obvious where to drill.

how big?

Same size as the existing hole the roll pin is in

Cheers,

John W