Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Mandatory Speed Limiters coming in 7th July!! - Page 3 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Mandatory Speed Limiters coming in 7th July!!

On 06/06/2024 at 17:54, C8RKH said:

But, Emira, Eletre, and Emeya. Well, frankly you'll be stuffed lol....

on here https://road-safety-charter.ec.europa.eu/resources-knowledge/media-and-press/intelligent-speed-assistance-isa-set-become-mandatory-across

From July 2022, Intelligent speed assistance (ISA) will be mandatory for new models/types of vehicles introduced on the market. The ISA will become mandatory for all new cars that will be sold from July 2024.

I wonder if early Evija will escape.

Emira and Evija models definitely escapes the 2022 deadline as they were launched before then.

But any new Emira and Evija cars sold after July 2024 will need to have it activated.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Shadowing all this is an entirely unwholesome appetite for ever expanding government control. God, I beging to sound like MAGA!!! Tell me where I'm wrong in this regard. Damned certain initiatives of the sort will persist and expand until the voters push back. Given the slanderous anti-automobile tripe wafting along through our culture I'm not confident that older cars will be spared. For example, Japan has long decried decommisioning of older cars as I understand it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The sat nav on my van uses gps and camera, this often conflicts with what google maps says. So maybe a litte '60' sign on a stick may solve all our problems 😂. Im also planning on keeping hold of the odd old car to cause havoc when Im old!

Any drivers cars, without the sophisticated electronics to support these new "driver aids", will, I believe become increasingly attractive and sought after by enthusiastic drivers.

• Like 2

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

And just heard that the "Introduction" version, which you will be able to turn off, will only last a year or 2 at most.

After that any new car will automatically engage the speed limiter with no option to turn off.

Absolute BS if you ask me!

• Sad 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Yup. So how does that work when you take your brand new "sports" car on the track? It'll be like most F1 races with everyone driving around in a DSA "train" as opposed to a DRS train 🤔:cry:

The small print.

I really can see why the "motoring party" won seats at the Eu parliament elections.

I'd vote for them!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

For over 100 years, and increasingly over the past 50 years, the motor car has brought mobility and "freedom" to the masses. 

Many in power today hate that, and so today, we see a drive for ever more controls over our freedom and liberty. People need to wake up re the EU. Get over Brexit, it happened. But look into the darker recesses of the psyche and actions of the unelected bureaucrats from the EU and you should be very, very wary, for your future as a free spirited and thinking European. They are trying to control your every movement, just as Orwell, and others, had predicted.

I watched an interesting show on Prime over the weekend, "The Last Enemy", with Benedict Cumberbatch. It's from 2008. Never knew it existed, but it shows a very near future (like 2015!) UK where biometric monitoring of citizens in the UK is the norm, including online identity cards and biometric access to public building, systems, and transport.

Quite frightening if you think about it whilst watching the story unfold, as ALL of the Technology needed to control our lives, to our monitor our behaviours and what we do, say, think, and to predict our actions (including what grades our children may get, what we'd choose to eat from a menu, etc), as used in the series, is currently out there!  It just hasn't been joined together yet. But that's the next stage. Geofencing and tracking cars is next, then it will be individuals within 10 years. The future ain't Orange, it's quite a bit darker.

• Like 2

The small print.

And now the outrage has started. Govt has sneakily tried to keep any major announcement out of the press and Press have only just switched on to this. Saw a post on FB from a news organisation and it had over 12,000 outraged replies. It was posted up at 6am this morning!

I can just imagine the conversation in cabinet "People are going to hate this and we need to keep it a secret till we can sneak the new legislation out"

"Wait, isn't it an EU law? but we left the EU!"

Yeah but for years people have enjoyed more and more freedoms using their cars and transport, so they need a gentle reminder that we control them"

"Good point, good point".

"Lets release it a week or so before the General election!"

"Brilliant! Then we can blame whoever wins!!"

• Haha 1

We previously owned a 22 reg i30n that had speed limiters. Deleted them initially and that was it....didn't need to do it again. Our 73 reg BMW M2 has them and they have to be taken off each time you start the car...takes about 10 secs. The thing is, since we've had the car, it's had two over the air software updates, so when the EU decide all cars must have a no delete speed limiter, what's the betting that cars of a similar age to ours will then have that update hidden in to the next software update.

Just a note, reading the legislation for this (boring but have to for work).

Some of my friends at a Local performance car club have talked about getting the ECU remapped to delete the limiter, as per their current German Performance cars where they get rid of the 155mph limiter.

This will be written into law, so unlike the 155mph Limiter, if you get the speed limiter remapped or have a diversion round it, it will effect your Insurance...... like you won't get paid a penny. i would think it will be the first thing they will check as its an easy out "Well you were doing 33 in a 30 which means your £75,000 Emira claim is Poopy!".

Oh yeah and don't forget the car will be uploading its location in real time so they will be able to tell what speed you were doing.

Which raises another question, how long before you get an automated Speed Ticket from your car grassing you up!

I tried out the ASL (autmatic Speed limiter) in my car the other day. It uses speed sign recognition and GPS to determine the appropriate speed limit. There I was tootling along a 30mph limited road (through a village) and the ASL thought it was a 50mph limit. 

I think there is some way to go! I can see legal claims being made for incorrect ASL speed limits and people getting into trouble.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

The underlying mentality in this, whether it's the bureaucrats or the masses, is plainly sick. Give your f&*$ing heads a shake!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oneshot said:

I tried out the ASL (autmatic Speed limiter) in my car the other day. It uses speed sign recognition and GPS to determine the appropriate speed limit. There I was tootling along a 30mph limited road (through a village) and the ASL thought it was a 50mph limit. 

I think there is some way to go! I can see legal claims being made for incorrect ASL speed limits and people getting into trouble.

Tend to agree, non of these systems are anything like reliable enough. On a recent Harrys Garage vid, the new rolls royce i think, he comments that he has to turn the system off because it thinks his private unrestricted drive is a 20 limit! 

My daily driver had traffic sign recognition which is often wrong, auto dipping headlights and I've been flashed for not dipping more than in all my previous cars put together. Self parking which thinks light metalic blue fords don't exist and tries to park in the occupied space, etc etc. I've turned almost all off, it would be funny if not so serious. 

• Gold FFM
21 hours ago, Simon Bateman said:

We previously owned a 22 reg i30n that had speed limiters. Deleted them initially and that was it....didn't need to do it again. Our 73 reg BMW M2 has them and they have to be taken off each time you start the car...takes about 10 secs. The thing is, since we've had the car, it's had two over the air software updates, so when the EU decide all cars must have a no delete speed limiter, what's the betting that cars of a similar age to ours will then have that update hidden in to the next software update.

@Simon Bateman I got a new 330e Touring last week and I found if you push the set button on the steering wheel for about 3 or 4 secs it turn the speed limiter warning off, you do have to do it every time though which is bloody annoying. On the plus side it did do the 34 mile journey to the office today at an average of 86.7 mpg

2 hours ago, Dan E said:

@Simon Bateman I got a new 330e Touring last week and I found if you push the set button on the steering wheel for about 3 or 4 secs it turn the speed limiter warning off, you do have to do it every time though which is bloody annoying. On the plus side it did do the 34 mile journey to the office today at an average of 86.7 mpg

I'll give that a try. Assume this is the set button for the cruise control?

Had a 250 ish mile trip down to Spa last week and at 75mph managed about 34 mpg. I think 37mpg may be possible at 70mph, which is what I can get from my Evora on long runs

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/06/2024 at 11:47, Mark Blanchard said:

Doesn't the ASL system only apply to cars made in Europe?  Japanese, Chinese, Korean, and American car's sold here won't be effected?

I can't imagine the new V8 Mustang having this fitted.

Does this apply to cars made any whereScreenshot_20240707-221200.png.add475ac70319b8201e7a488f82def8c.png

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

• 2 weeks later...

Well......when you sent the suggestion, we were camping at Spa (with the M2) and a combination of forgetting to try it and wifey being too quick on the draw with the long winded method, mean't that it never got tested. Got back, cleaned it and it's just sat in the garage since, as we've been flat out doing DIY etc and using the daily 🙄

• Like 1