Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Free V8 OBDII Scan Tool - Page 6 - ECU/OBDII - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Free V8 OBDII Scan Tool

peter_england99

Not that I have a V8, but out of interest  I downloaded the ZIP file from Peter's link onto an old  Win7 laptop, extracted the files to a folder on the desktop and installed the software, ignoring the .DLL errors as mentioned above, and it installed OK. From that screen shot it looks like you are running the setup.exe from within the ZIP software?

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thanks all.  Finally got it working.  Told you I was a IT virgin.  

so, downloaded it onto my generic HP laptop I’ve had in the cupboard for 3 years since I got my IPad which is running windows 10.  Once I expanded the zip file (thanks above) it installed pressing the setup Line and installed in about 5 seconds with no error messages

i purchased the following cable from Amazon and it took a while to download the driver for it as Windows said it recognised the device but then said actually no I don’t.  Installed the driver the device linked to and tried again.  

the problem is I didn’t know if the OBD reader was working or not as I don’t know how to check so I followed Peters instructions from the first post and changed the values to what was told although I have no idea what they all mean. 

I don’t know how to find the port number for the device so tried everyone from 1-16 and nothing showed.  

I then read the instructions again and saw that I had to click read all so went through again and got to number 4 and it all showed up on the screen

thanks so much and looking forward to getting her running again to look through it all

D85474C2-E9B4-4F25-9FC1-F2A031B75698.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help all.  So I’ve got it all working and here’s screen shots when the car is running.  There are some value missing and I wondered if this was normal or if they should be filled in ?

also the car has thrown a EML but the software isnt detecting any error codes ?

does anyone know where the IAT is shown 

thanks again 

E2AC06C3-558E-476A-9D80-C4832354F02D.jpeg

F630098A-840B-497F-AF1E-9977AFB620EF.jpeg

Looking again is the IAT shown as the MAT?  I.e 9 degrees?

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

MAT should be your IAT.

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Got a new cable Elm 327. Works a treat with Peter England’s Software. 
Cheers Oete👍

On 05/07/2020 at 09:38, andyblackman777 said:

Does anyone have an Elm323 driver. (Windows8) can’t find one anywhere on the internet. 
I have an old ElmScan ISO cable with an rs232 to usb adaptor cable. 
trying to get it working!

cheers 

I got a new cable. The same as Metro’s above. Works a treat with Pete’s software 👍

• 4 months later...
On 05/06/2020 at 13:52, Mightymetro said:

Thanks for the help all.  So I’ve got it all working and here’s screen shots when the car is running.  There are some value missing and I wondered if this was normal or if they should be filled in ?

also the car has thrown a EML but the software isnt detecting any error codes ?

does anyone know where the IAT is shown 

thanks again 

E2AC06C3-558E-476A-9D80-C4832354F02D.jpeg

F630098A-840B-497F-AF1E-9977AFB620EF.jpeg

Looking again is the IAT shown as the MAT?  I.e 9 degrees?

thank you thank you thank you. I have been waiting for someone to post info like this. I have NO reference to tune my v8. I never had a good running stock ECU. I have no idea how much timing the engine wants at WOT. Atleast now I know 9 degrees at idle on a cold morning. 

Edited by v8GTmac1

Hi @v8GTmac1 would it be helpful to have a standard ECU for a while to allow you to capture some of the base settings for your tuning? 

My car is going to be off the road for a few more months so I could loan it to you to help with the development of the Megasquirt map. Since you've already said you would share the map with the community, I feel the community should contribute, I would need it back though, obviously. 🙂

You could also figure out if the stock ECU can drive 8 coils directly. 👍

cheers

-Chris

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cweeden said:

Hi @v8GTmac1 would it be helpful to have a standard ECU for a while to allow you to capture some of the base settings for your tuning? 

My car is going to be off the road for a few more months so I could loan it to you to help with the development of the Megasquirt map. Since you've already said you would share the map with the community, I feel the community should contribute, I would need it back though, obviously. 🙂

You could also figure out if the stock ECU can drive 8 coils directly. 👍

cheers

-Chris

Appreciate the thought. There is one big road block though, my harness is all cut away from the stock computer. Every necessary component has been soldered directly to MS harness. 

Damn good idea though!

all I would need is some form of data log from somebody on the forum with ignition timing from cold start to warm idle and then Cruising and WOT. 

The rest of the sensor readings won’t be transferable data but doesn’t hurt to take a peak. 

And i I know you really want to know if the stock ecu is actually running sequential behind the scenes. 

Edited by v8GTmac1

• 1 month later...
On 23/06/2018 at 07:34, swindon_alan said:

Hello Stuart. As I said previously, I don't think you will get the ABS wheel data from the rear OBD connector but good luck!

Front and rear wires:

image.png.d2516b0e1a42a7f62e3b4e9ad676bce9.png

image.png.e992907d5782d66830e7c78f15dd0fd9.png

The rear OBD has three extra "manufacturer discretion" wires by the way, I still haven't figured out what they are for. I will know when I have finally completed the circuit diagram for the ECM though!

PS just noticed the rear OBD drawing is missing pins 6 and 14...draughtsman fail!

I don't think the missing pins 6 and 14 are a drafting issue. They are a scanning issue...either the paper page was wrinkled when it was scanned or maybe a scanner glitch. There are many examples of this in the online manuals. Unfortunately, of course, the effect is the same 😖.

I see that coolant temp is reported in the OBDII parameters and there are associated error codes. The MY 98+ Esprit's have an oil temp sensor located in the sump drain plug. Haven't seen that sensor shown on any wiring diagrams but I believe it is monitored by the ECU. Couple questions:

1) Has anyone seen a wiring diagram that includes this sensor?

2) Does anyone know if the oil temp reading is reported on any OBDII parameter, or if there are any associated failure codes?

Edited by 71Type65
Additional info and questions

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Brilliant piece of software thanks.

Hi at long last I got round to trying this great piece of software.  Took a wee bit of fiddling and although I tried several different OBD cables, wired and wireless.  Bought one as shown in the post from Mightymetro and, I found that (for my windows 10 laptop anyway) the following settings shown in picture -allowed it all to connect up.  Might help others?

2053477417_settingsforscantool.thumb.jpg.a5958c0582c77ad7e1777f8c66f3d492.jpg

I'm looking at a rough idle, and I did have a couple of codes PO506 (Idle Speed Control - RPM lower than expected) and P1106 (Barometric Pressure - Circuit Range/Performance Problem). I cleared the codes but it is an issue, OK driving but takes longer than expected turning over on key to start and then not reliable tickover initially.  They car is not used much 500-1000 miles PA so not a pressing issue but I'd like to get it fixed.

I've had the car 8 years almost - by far the longest I've owned a car and thinking about maybe selling it so another good reason to make sure everything is right on it.

I'm going to trace through all the O2 sensor wiring connections, the intake air connections and possibly (if i need to...) replace the IAC valve.

Graham

Oh - an afterthought...

Biggest issue I have is understanding the data provided.  I know the obvious stuff, and trawling through internet / TLF forums I'm picking up more but for me anyway, and possibly many others it would be great to see somewhere an "Idiots Guide" to what all the readings are, what they should be and what might cause them not to be "right".

Does anyone know where I might find something like this?

Thanks

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 22/11/2022 at 13:28, Grahaml said:

Brilliant piece of software thanks.

Hi at long last I got round to trying this great piece of software.  Took a wee bit of fiddling and although I tried several different OBD cables, wired and wireless.  Bought one as shown in the post from Mightymetro and, I found that (for my windows 10 laptop anyway) the following settings shown in picture -allowed it all to connect up.  Might help others?

2053477417_settingsforscantool.thumb.jpg.a5958c0582c77ad7e1777f8c66f3d492.jpg

I'm looking at a rough idle, and I did have a couple of codes PO506 (Idle Speed Control - RPM lower than expected) and P1106 (Barometric Pressure - Circuit Range/Performance Problem). I cleared the codes but it is an issue, OK driving but takes longer than expected turning over on key to start and then not reliable tickover initially.  They car is not used much 500-1000 miles PA so not a pressing issue but I'd like to get it fixed.

I've had the car 8 years almost - by far the longest I've owned a car and thinking about maybe selling it so another good reason to make sure everything is right on it.

I'm going to trace through all the O2 sensor wiring connections, the intake air connections and possibly (if i need to...) replace the IAC valve.

Graham

Oh - an afterthought...

Biggest issue I have is understanding the data provided.  I know the obvious stuff, and trawling through internet / TLF forums I'm picking up more but for me anyway, and possibly many others it would be great to see somewhere an "Idiots Guide" to what all the readings are, what they should be and what might cause them not to be "right".

Does anyone know where I might find something like this?

Thanks

Did you ever sort your problem out? If not then pm me I might be able to shed some light on your rough idle!

Thanks @Superdavelotus.  I replaced the Idle Air Control valve and that sorted it.  It's a bit awkward removing the plenum cover etc and when I pulled it off to replace the IAC valve the tube into it was off.  I may well have pulled it off when I was removing the plenum but it is possible that it was off before I removed the plenum which would explain things.  I replaced the AIC anyway as it was all off and it was fine afterwards. 

I also replaced a drive shaft seal that had always had a very slight leak in my ownership too and the car is currently up for sale through a dealer in Edinburgh - I thought that might be easier but not so sure as it's still there!  

Whats did you think the rough idle could have been?

Graham

IMG_1826.jpeg