Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Tyres - Page 13 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Tyres

Ah, so it was you I saw hooning it about last Friday with a Cayman in pursuit? ;)

"Hooning", h'officer? We were just, er, making rapid progress. :whistle:

PS He couldn't keep up though.  :driving:

• Like 1

Third set of rear tires being fitted today (20" Pirelli P-Zero Corsa). 5900 miles and the cord is visible on the innermost inch. So far I've driven 16427 miles in total (track days on another set of wheels).

Did it look like this by any chance!  :thumbsup:

post-7988-0-82721500-1430734785.jpg

That is about 7,000 miles worth of road and a little track.  Yes, for the non S owners the geo was correct as checked only weeks before this was removed and not adjusted at the time.  Annoying that there is so much good tread elsewhere still left however but that is the price for a tyre you can really lean on.  :whistle:  :driving:

• Like 1

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

• 11 months later...

I'm just about to order some tyres for my N/A on 18/19 inch wheels. I'm on the factory spec P Zeros at the moment, and really only need a couple of fronts (due to a small puncture :().

What are people's current opinions on switching to Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres? Are they a more aggressive design than the standard P Zeros, closer to the Corsas?

I don't want to hurt the ride/noise level much, but just wondering if it's time to ditch the ancient Pirelli design, and I heard good things about these.

I should add that if I switch, I would buy the full set. There's no way I'm mixing different tyres on front and rear.

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

try this one....

https://www.motorsportauctions.com/index.php?a=ap&addon=storefront&page=home&store=710&category=306

if not go to www.motorsportauctions.com and look for the tyres section...

from the motorsport home page...select store....then select Lotus

on the left side look for the Production overruns...(near the top)

then select tyres.....

they seem to have run out of the 19" rear tyre ATM...but they've got the 18" fronts

• Like 1

cool...

:thumbsup:

I decided to stick with it (the Pirellis) while they're still offering them at that price......

42 minutes ago, Brendonian said:

Anybody got thoughts on the Michelins before I place my order?

The Michelin PSS are currently the best summer, road tyre on the market. There is a good reason that Lotus chose them as the OEM tyre for the Ev400.

Thanks for the response, but I'm looking for a personal experience vs the standard P Zeros on an N/A. The 400 has a very different setup, and is marketed as more of a supercar, whereas the N/A is more of a sports GT.

Having previously driven an n/a Sports Racer, I found the high speed ride to be badly compromised compared to mine. I put that down to the larger wheels, but I'm just concerned that a more aggressive tyre choice might have a similar effect.

Mine gets the Pirellis everytime.......only on the basis of that's what my car was designed for and on.....

so.......my thinking is that I'll change tyre type when the specified tyres are no longer available

just my way of thinking....

• Like 1

This is my third Evora (N/A, S MY12, S SR MY15), I was sticking with the "factory' Pirelli P-Zero/Corsa (S). I tried 3 sets of Michelin PSS (both on N/A and S), now, after a try with the Yokohama Advan Sport V105, I fell in love with these! Better feeling and balance than the PSS, incredibly good on wet road, aquaplaning. On a track, in dry condition, I assume it's a bit slower than the P-Zero Corsa, but these conditions are maximum 5-10% of my daily use. 

• Like 1

Elise R 07 - Europa SE 2008 - 2Eleven GT4 - Evora N/A - Evora S - Evora S SR - Evora GT430 Sport

As concerns the auction tyres - I had a set of rears for mine, when I bought the wheels. They are old stock from 2013. Actually slightly older than the tyres they replaced.

Not necessarily an issue, certainly for road use but just so you know. My tyre guy enjoyed giving me an earful about them though. Something about sitting on a shelf and being a (female dog) to balance.

That said, 1 Walshy day, 300 miles and I have less than 6mm of tread on them, so won't have them long by all accounts!!

• Like 1

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

as a guess.....I work on a set of rears a year and front every two.....

Last years were date end 2013 (full set).......put on the car March 2015

the latest rear tyres I bought were dated mid 2014........theyre about to be fitted.....so 22 months old.......

bear in mind they reckon theyre only good for 4 years.......I should squeeze in ok

as you say tho' I only expect rear to be on for 12 months.........

:)

Good point! My fronts are dated 2013, and they've got plenty of tread left. I'm clearly way too gentle on them. That being said, I don't want to buy any of that age as they'll be hard and cracking long before they're worn out.

If youre worried ring Graham Lorimer....He's very helpful and will answer any of your questions......

• Gold FFM

I didn't even consider the Mich PSS tyres as I didn't find much feedback on those tyres fitted to the NA on 18/19s at the time I needed tyres (plus I was a bit short on time). I also had some very good advice from a kind chap at Dunlop who I was talking to about their Sport Maxx TT tyres and he said if the car was specced by the manufacturer for P Zeros then best stick with them.

I got a full set of PZeros from Tyre Leader last year. I was half expecting the rubber to be stamped with a 2013 or 2014 date, but no I got tyres manufactured in 2015. I was very happy with this because I once had a Triumph GT6 MKIII on very old tyres (cross ply too I think)  with hard rubber and it handled like a lady dog until I put on fresh radials!

Just looked up the fronts (MO spec ZR 18s) and thet are £80.39 a corner at Tyre Leader. Don't forget that the Motorsport Auction site quotes prices ex VAT (that's why I went with Tyre Leader, especially as the rears were cheaper when I bought in August 2015). 

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/pirelli/pzero/225-40-zr18-92y-336189

MO1 rears are £131.29 on the same site so not quite as competitve.

Hope that helps Brendan.

PZero.JPG

Edited by EuropaSman
I can't type!
  • Like 1

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

image.png.9db97d94b90c8d44f75911ca24efff36.png

I've just had a full new set of correct spec P Zero's 18/19 fitted. Camskill had the best price I could find at £410 for the set. Car feels amazing with 4 brand new tyres and geo setup. Tyres are straight off the production line too, with both the fronts and rears showing manufacture dates of late 2015.

I've just had 4 new tyres too - all bought from Motorsport auction and all OEM. Totally transformed the car, before it was tramlining all over the place, now, it's soooo much better.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!