Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Useless Facts about anything - Page 3 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Useless Facts about anything

gghc87

Bruce lee die before he saw the finished film Enter the Dragon,the film that made him a world superstar

Brandon lee (bruce lee's son) die before he saw the finished film The Crow,the film that is widely belived would have made him a world superstar.

:shuriken:

From "That Was The Week That Was" from the 1960's.

If all the students in the World were placed head to toe around the equator, I would not be at all surprised.

Did you know that 7 out of 10 doctors leaves three.

American readers will probably be more familiar with 'as happy as a clam', which originated in the USA in the 19th century. The Australian version is 'as happy as Larry', which (probably) originated there. Other creatures that are reputedly more than usually happy are larks, dogs with two tails and pigs in shit.

The word 'sandboy' brings to mind images of a child playing on the beach, making sand-castles and the like. In fact, sandboy was the name of those who delivered sand to public houses, theatres and homes in the 18th and 19th centuries. Children were used in that trade, but most sandboys were adults. This use of 'boy' has frequently been used for low-status male workers, as in tea-boy, barrow-boy, house-boy etc.

The use that the sand was put to was as a crude floor covering - a precursor to sawdust in what later became known as 'spit and sawdust' establishments - public spitting wasn't then reviled as it is now.

The earliest printed citation of the phrase that I can find is from Pierce Egan's Real Life in London, 1821:

"...appeared to be as happy as a sand-boy, who had unexpectedly met with good luck in disposing of his hampers full of the above-household commodity. "

As happy as a sandboyCharles Dickens made an oblique reference to the variant form of the phrase, 'as jolly as a sand-boy', in his 1840 novel The Old Curiosity Shop, in which the inn The Jolly Sandboys features. The original printing of the book included etchings, one of which shows the 'sandboys' in party mood. Dickens describes the place like this:

"The Jolly Sandboys was a small road-side inn of pretty ancient date, with a sign, representing three Sandboys increasing their jollity with as many jugs of ale".

Carting sand may have been hard and dusty work, but the sandboys' reputation for happiness seems more straightforward than with clams or 'Larry' - they were often intoxicated.

as-happy-as-a-sandboy.jpg

Edited by Dodgy

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

Good one Dave.

True that in the "olden days", in London, the wooden floors of public houses were covered with sand collected in buckects from the nearby Thames by young boys. At the end of the evening, the boys swept up the old sand and more often than not found coins that had been dropped by customers...hence the saying "happy as a sand boy"

There are six million parts in the Boeing 747-400

Is that true? :huh:

It's actually five million nine hundred thousand nine hundred ninety-nine, but they rounded up for simplicity.

Did you know that 7 out of 10 doctors leaves three.

True.

And 10 out of 7 bloggers are dyslexic.

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Gee, and all this time I thought global warming was caused by an increase in temperature.

True.

And 10 out of 10 moderators are transpositional pedantic anoraks. :respect:

I knew you knew that really.

Now what do they call someone who mixes up their words........... :lol:

Answer = Drunk

Pentheraphobia is a fear of a mother-in-law.

Jez

Mean Green S4s

I think therefore I am - Descartes

I'm pink therefore I'm spam - Eric Idle

the longest word in the English language has 189,819 letters. Methionylthreonylthreonylglutaminylarginyl............................................................................you get the idea............................................................................................isoleucine is the chemical name of the largest known protein titin. Lexicographers have argued however that chemical compounds should not count. The largest non-technical word is antidisestablishmentarianism, with a mere 28 letters.

Edited by Petrol feet driven
sig.jpg

the longest word in the English language has 189,819 letters. Methionylthreonylthreonylglutaminylarginyl............................................................................you get the idea............................................................................................isoleucine is the chemical name of the largest known protein titin. Lexicographers have argued however that chemical compounds should not count. The largest non-technical word is antidisestablishmentarianism, with a mere 28 letters.

I thought the longest non-technical word was

floccinaucinihilipilification

and is one letter longer

Edited by lrg_machine

Jez

Mean Green S4s

I think therefore I am - Descartes

I'm pink therefore I'm spam - Eric Idle

Antoine Lavoisier, "the father of modern chemistry," was also a member of Ferme Generale, an organization of 28 fuedal tax collectors, for which he was guillotined on 8 May 1794 during the French Revolution.

Moral of the story:

If you want to be a chemist and keep your head, stick to your day job.

I thought the longest non-technical word was

floccinaucinihilipilification

and is one letter longer

I thought smiles was the longest word as there is a mile between the first and last letters. :)

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

• Gold FFM

Fact: Reading this thread will possibly improve your knowledge of the useless and contribute possibly nothing to the good of the world.

However, those who do not know history are destined to repeat it.

Bummer, now I wish I didn't know who invented post-it notes.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)