Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Top Gear - New Series - Page 38 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Top Gear - New Series

"Dear Sir,

Thank you for your letter.

The prominence of Porsche in this season of Top Gear is due to political strongarming by Angela Merkel and Porsche Group who threatened to levy British exports at 100% post-brexit should their vehicles not be placed front and center in subsequent episodes. 

We hope you enjoy the rest of the season where we will be road testing this year's indistinguishable Porsche models including a special episode on how to buy your first Porsche on a working man's budget of only £40 000."

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Kimbers...beautifully written email.  Let's hope they get the message.

Vanya --- classic.  Totally agree with the indistinguishable line as I have immense difficulties telling the Porsche models apart from each other.  Well this one is a 911, but this one is another 911 that cost only 90 grand more and from the outside I can't tell the difference!  Maybe it's stereo has a volume knob that goes to eleven?

From the U.S perspective,  I find this lack of Lotus participation/mentioning in the "new" Top Gear just as disturbing as our President.

Matt LeBlanc will be no "Friend" of mine until the Evora 400 or 410 is reviewed.  My actual friend just picked up a new 2017 Evora 400 and it's fantastic.  I will try to keep up with him in my 91 Turbo Esprit (and most likely fail) once I bleed my radiator properly.

Did you notice they even moved the Red Esprit on the set to a new position which limits the time you see it.  At least Extra Gear shows the Red Esprit more. 

Long live British motor works.

• Like 1

"I thought it was Lambo" -  Thank you very much and now it's time to educate the Exotic Less.

• Gold FFM

Is it possible that they just prefer Porsche as opposed to some conspiracy?  I recall reading that Lotus and Chris Harris don't get along and that Lotus will not let him test one.  Problem number 1 to solve is for Lotus to do what it takes to get a review (even if it involves groveling imo).  Many of the US reviews of the Evora 400 have been very positive; perhaps they could get a positive review if they get TG a car.  A nice head to head with a 718 would be fun!

Instagram: @tpupnomad

1980 Lotus Esprit S2

1985 Lotus Turbo Esprit

Some other stuff  🤠

I thought it was Ferrari that impose strict restrictions on who tests their cars and how they're tested, not Lotus?  

http://jalopnik.com/5760248/how-ferrari-spins

(granted, article from 2011)

My thoughts on TG today is that viewing numbers aren't great and Joe-public loves to hear about Porsche.

Shame they haven't done any Lotus bits lately as the Clarkson Evora bit a few years back was great, and the Esprit V8 bit long before that was also great.  Also loved the Exige pieces old TG did.

The Patagonia trip obviously was fantastic for Esprit fans.

http://jalopnik.com/how-auto-journalism-fails-when-nationalism-gets-involve-1686723025

He burnt his bridges with this article, no doubt subbed in Stuttgart. The Cayman GT4 is better than an Evora 400, before driving either and that's because it's uncool to like British cars. 

• Like 2

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

As the old saying goes: "judge the tree by it's fruits". At least the new topgear have declared it's colour: Black, yellow and Red. All Things from that country, in particular p.....e get's a splendid review, always being better than anything else on the planet. Yeah, right... Not.

Not that they are not great cars as such, but the lack of opinion and journalism is appaling. That is why I now follow people like for example George with his Soup #1,2,3... Far better and much more entertaining. The new topgear have eaten up itself. Just like the recent us election... I much prefer Harrys garage over the new topgear.

Moreover the new TG and floutube mo...s (defined as mild intellectual disability) like shmee, seb and all the similar people screaming like little schoolgirls at the age of 6 (sorry, no pun intended, but the programmes define it all by itself), kind of melted together in one big Commercial with no real content. Just an ego flashing totally over the top (-gear).

To me at least, it seems like many of those new presenters on tv-channels and certainly also on floutube cannot seperate between jounalism and being an extenson of a sponsored (or not) commercial. Together with the inability to express themselves in a relevant way to the subject makes up for some sad times.

ps: I think this will hit p.....e back in it's face some time in the future.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

ps: well spoken Kimbers.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

14 hours ago, The Pits said:

I'd also like to write but probably won't mention Lotus, instead that the presenters are using British taxpayers money to promote Porsche in particular. What email address did you use @Kimbers?

Still, it was a nice surprise to see a Giugiaro Esprit in the studio. Wasn't it that a Testarossa and a Countach to begin with? Then they added a 911 Turbo. I wonder who's idea that was? At least someone declined his request to have the Lotus removed!

'top.gear@bbc.co.uk' Please do write!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

• 9 months later...

Sorry just watched the one show with two of the presenters  of top gear ,Matt the plonk and one of the others ,cant remember his name. They admitted that they drove Mercs and porkers  so don't  expect any Lotus coverage .

Does Rob Searle have an email address listed anywhere?  Just wondering if they have any plans to visit America and possibly add some more cars to the mix.  Yes, that's probably a stretch in the budget and probably not going to happen.

"I thought it was Lambo" -  Thank you very much and now it's time to educate the Exotic Less.

Thanks Dave.  I emailed Robert and asked him about coming to America.  Sure it's a long shot.

I just want anyone with a Sport 300 to show up at Brands Hatch.  Love that Esprit! Know it's a bitch to work on, but love it.

Bill

Interesting decision from Club Lotus to just forward the email from the BBC's researcher out to everyone rather than using their resources and contacts to source and support the morning at Brands Hatch themselves. I believe Rob is only after one car per Lotus model so I'm sure they will have their list complete by the evening, especially seeing as I have already sourced half the list this morning for them.

• Gold FFM

I emailed him earlier saying Rick and I can supply my Esprit, his wonderful Elite which is confirmed ex Hazel and the M100 S2 haven’t heard anything back yet. We are also 20mins from Brands 

fingers crossed 

• Like 1

Did anyone hear back? I texted and did receive a response and he asked me to email but no email reply.

I am assuming no reply means they are sorted for cars now.

On 22/02/2018 at 16:15, bogle said:

Thanks Dave.  I emailed Robert and asked him about coming to America.  Sure it's a long shot.

The first episode was mostly shot in America and the preview of the second indicates America also. 

I figured they would come to America for certain shows, but I was more interested in Top Gear including America with the 70 year celebration.  Grown tired of Hellcats, Avengers and Charger muscle cars since they are as common place as Civics, Accords and Corollas.  When you see soooo many of them it's really is quite boring.  It gets really annoying when there are two of them in the same color. 

Try getting two Evoras, Elises, Exiges or Esprits in the same color - that barely even happens at American British car show.  Except for some annual British car shows, I'm typically the only Lotus at a car show.  A Lotus on the road in a rare occurrence, but 2 Loti (is that the plural of Lotus?) on the same road together (not planned) is like the odds of seeing a UFO or Sasquatch.   Britain probably has better odds of seeing 2 Loti together unplanned than we do?