Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
How's my parking? - Page 8 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

How's my parking?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thank you! I did remember something about South Africa. So I'm not as think as you crazy! 🙂

• Haha 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM
On 16/04/2023 at 16:08, C8RKH said:

................even when I have done that, in a far away very empty part of the supermarket car park I always come back and some twat and has just had to park in the spot next to me even though there are literally dozens and dozens more convenient empty places everywhere.  I just don't get it.

Some years ago (in fact, I was on my way to the Lotus Festival at Brands hatch - remember those?) I made an overnight stop en route in deepest, darkest Warwickshire. Out for a drive around in the evening, I stopped in a completely deserted car park and got out to stretch my legs for 10 minutes. 

parking1.jpg.fd86b5bd866db2979f1030faee69a607.jpg

Now, there must have been upwards of 100 spaces in this car park and I'd parked way round the far side of it, about as far away as you could get from any of the pedestrian exits to the adjacent parkland. A few minutes after I arrived, an old boy in a French sh1tbox drove in and where did he park? Yep! :no

parking2.jpg.3aa7b401f846bcacf6a8fc2c99eacbb1.jpg

Speaking of French, they have this parking lark down to a fine art - minimum space used and both drivers can still get into their respective doors, :thumbup:

parkingbybraille.jpg.30289c776294b2064277a4782eed146a.jpg

Meanwhile, back in Blighty, we get perfect examples of how it should be done by experts in the subject, :rolleyes: .

parkingsolutions.jpg.68f3ba3f6974f1c6c180d89c25b7bc1a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I hope nobody took a picture of me when I went to the local supermarket last week...
I occupied 3 spaces and actually wanted 4. Not without good reason though, I had a 6.5m car trailer in tow and wanted to make sure nobody would block me in. If I'd gone to the effort of squeezing in to just 2 spaces, it would have been very difficult to get out again with cars parked on both sides. And I was only in for 5 min, but that's what everyone says. 🙂  

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• 3 weeks later...

I was in Rotterdam yesterday, for a meeting. Free parking, because the barriers were being replaced, so far so good. But at least 75% of the cars there was parked outside the lines, 2 cars sharing 3 bays. 😠 Granted, the bays were quite cramped, but if I can squeeze in a Jaguar they should be able to manage with a eurosh!tbox as well!

Not much better when I arrived back at my better half: 1 car parked dead in the middle of the 2 spots in front of her house. Even if I pulled right up to his bumper I would still block the neighbour's garage...

Luckily the rest of the day was a lot better: a nice relaxing drive in the sun (top down of course), some interesting presentations and demonstrations (magnetic levitation, propulsion and guidance) and a tasty free lunch. 🙂 

• 10 months later...
  • Gold FFM

I know that my parking was a bit careless, but I reasoned that there were 1200 free spaces in the car park when I parked.

Obviously, the Porsche driver couldn't be bothered to find one. 

Good job mine is a soft top!

20240322_103059.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Shock 1

We don't often take the Evora to the shops but we do often use the wife's MX5. We always park in the area of the Sainsburys car park furthest from the store entrance where it is least busy so less chance of some twerp bashing the car when opening their doors. Almost without fail, when we return there is a damned great SUV parked next to it despite there being plenty of other spaces, making it difficult to see when reversing out of the parking space. Do these people do it on purpose just to make life difficult for others?

• Like 1

If I drive to somewhere like Sainsbury's I always park well away and walk the extra few yards in the MGs, wife complains. But then if she takes her car, she parks nearer to the entrance and then comes back to her car and finds someone parked near her, she complains anyway. Particularly if as you say it makes it more difficult getting in the car or backing out etc. If I take the Evora anywhere - eg Wickes /Toolstation  I will park next to a shrubbery / wall/ tree and still leave about a 3rd of a car gap. 

I think a lot of women drivers don’t have the mental capacity to park without assistance. It used to be a long running joke in our family that whenever we headed off somewhere in two cars, with my mother-in-law following on behind, she would always park right next to me, irrespective of how many free spaces there were. In fact we used to sit in the car giggling until she had parked and then reverse straight back out and park somewhere else.

My MIL is dead now, but I was dismayed to witness her daughter (my wife) do exactly the same thing in another fairly empty car park the other day. She was driving and I was in the passenger seat and she still made a bee line for one of the few spaces right next to another car. Women just can’t trust themselves to park the car correctly without an adjacent reference point.

Women drivers, mother-in-laws and wives: have I just managed the Holy Trinity of inappropriate humour nowadays?