Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Exige picture & video thread - Page 99 - V6 Exige Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Exige picture & video thread

Bibs

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@lil_greenie Saw your post on Reddit r.e. side skirts and aero blades. The other car in your posts is actually mine :) My car has these bits from factory, not aftermarket (though the latter is the way I'd go if I didn't).

At the moment I prefer the non-carbon finisher and aero blades, perhaps my mind will change in the future. Same with the body-coloured intakes.

Just to note, the side skirts aren't going to do anything to stop stone chips. The underside of mine are still perfect after 7k+ miles, and I still have a stone chip that went through the factory protection on the wing. If it were my money, I'd put it towards fuel and trips away to drive the thing, but that's just me.

• Like 1

On 14/07/2023 at 14:11, jmcvaughn said:

@lil_greenie Saw your post on Reddit r.e. side skirts and aero blades. The other car in your posts is actually mine :) My car has these bits from factory, not aftermarket (though the latter is the way I'd go if I didn't).

At the moment I prefer the non-carbon finisher and aero blades, perhaps my mind will change in the future. Same with the body-coloured intakes.

Just to note, the side skirts aren't going to do anything to stop stone chips. The underside of mine are still perfect after 7k+ miles, and I still have a stone chip that went through the factory protection on the wing. If it were my money, I'd put it towards fuel and trips away to drive the thing, but that's just me.

That's a bummer to hear that it won't help at all to protect the car from the stone chips. Mine has barely 18'000km now and is covered in stone chips already. 

I'm still torn in terms of the carbon parts just for the looks. I like them, but also wonder if they might not look as good as with other colour combinations (other than the motorsport green with silver wheels. 

You wouldn't happen to have a few more pictures that you could post here? 

EDIT: Found the most recent pictures you've posted in this thread. I like it! 

Edited by lil_greenie

On 14/07/2023 at 14:11, jmcvaughn said:

Took the liberty and did some (really bad) edits with one of your pictures. I think adding some colour could looke really nice (i like the silver / yellow / red, but silver would fit with my already existing colour details). 

7-18-2023 9-31-06 AM_gold.jpg

7-18-2023 9-31-06 AM_redd.jpg

7-18-2023 9-31-06 AM_silver.jpg

7-18-2023 9-31-06 AM_yel.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lil_greenie said:

That's a bummer to hear that it won't help at all to protect the car from the stone chips. Mine has barely 18'000km now and is covered in stone chips already.

Where are you concerned about getting stone chips? If on the wing just in front of the rear wheels then there should be factory protection already on there (though as above, it isn't the thickest and I do have a chip that's gone all the way through mine). The sills aren't really going to help as at the end of the day, that's what the mudguards are for (hence why the underneath of my side skirts are unmarked).

You've got a few options in my view:

• Get the stone chips professionally touched-up if there aren't too many. It is possible to get a pretty much imperceptible touch-up done professionally (mine has had one done near the front access panel that you cannot see at all), though finding someone capable of that is a bit more challenging.
  • PPF. I'd only do this once the stone chips are filled in if they're quite bad, and I'm not convinced of the benefit of PPF'ing anywhere other than the front end and in front of the rear wheels. You simply won't get that many stone chips elsewhere, and touching them up along with an occasional paint correction is cheaper. That, and a chip in the PPF can look worse than in the paint (though again, self-healing PPFs etc. with a bit of heat negate some of this).
  • If your car already has quite a few chips it's likely worth leaving it, letting the problem worsen, and getting a respray in the future. It sounds like you're concerned about stone chips down the side of the car; these should be few and far between, and a respray will be around the same cost as PPF.

I'm still torn in terms of the carbon parts just for the looks. I like them, but also wonder if they might not look as good as with other colour combinations (other than the motorsport green with silver wheels. 

Personally I think they look best in this colour! They were another reason I bought the car (the spec of my car is exactly how I'd have done it new), but as above, it isn't a huge difference; they finish off the car nicely but I likely wouldn't buy them if I didn't already have them purely as the money can be better spent elsewhere. There's also a good argument to be made that being able to see a little more tyre at the rear without the "aero blades" (as Aerie Performance calls them) or outer boards (as Lotus calls them) is nice, but I do like the carbon ones. Note that the Aerie diffuser finisher is not a V-weave. That alone would put me off it.

EDIT: Found the most recent pictures you've posted in this thread. I like it! 

You're a bit biased though ;)

4 hours ago, lil_greenie said:

Took the liberty and did some (really bad) edits with one of your pictures. I think adding some colour could looke really nice (i like the silver / yellow / red, but silver would fit with my already existing colour details). 

*snip*

The yellow and white work but in my view, aside from the front cat scratches like yours, any further detailing needs to be accompanied with similar details elsewhere (e.g. on the front access panel, roof, etc.). See @Gordon S's car for example. I like the cleaner look best; I like the fact my car is somewhat understated (if you can call any Exige that; you catch my drift).

Edited by jmcvaughn
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, jmcvaughn said:

Where are you concerned about getting stone chips? If on the wing just in front of the rear wheels then there should be factory protection already on there (though as above, it isn't the thickest and I do have a chip that's gone all the way through mine). The sills aren't really going to help as at the end of the day, that's what the mudguards are for (hence why the underneath of my side skirts are unmarked).

You've got a few options in my view:

• Get the stone chips professionally touched-up if there aren't too many. It is possible to get a pretty much imperceptible touch-up done professionally (mine has had one done near the front access panel that you cannot see at all), though finding someone capable of that is a bit more challenging.
  • PPF. I'd only do this once the stone chips are filled in if they're quite bad, and I'm not convinced of the benefit of PPF'ing anywhere other than the front end and in front of the rear wheels. You simply won't get that many stone chips elsewhere, and touching them up along with an occasional paint correction is cheaper. That, and a chip in the PPF can look worse than in the paint (though again, self-healing PPFs etc. with a bit of heat negate some of this).
  • If your car already has quite a few chips it's likely worth leaving it, letting the problem worsen, and getting a respray in the future. It sounds like you're concerned about stone chips down the side of the car; these should be few and far between, and a respray will be around the same cost as PPF.

Personally I think they look best in this colour! They were another reason I bought the car (the spec of my car is exactly how I'd have done it new), but as above, it isn't a huge difference; they finish off the car nicely but I likely wouldn't buy them if I didn't already have them purely as the money can be better spent elsewhere. There's also a good argument to be made that being able to see a little more tyre at the rear without the "aero blades" (as Aerie Performance calls them) or outer boards (as Lotus calls them) is nice, but I do like the carbon ones. Note that the Aerie diffuser finisher is not a V-weave. That alone would put me off it.

You're a bit biased though ;)

The yellow and white work but in my view, aside from the front cat scratches like yours, any further detailing needs to be accompanied with similar details elsewhere (e.g. on the front access panel, roof, etc.). See @Gordon S's car for example. I like the cleaner look best; I like the fact my car is somewhat understated (if you can call any Exige that; you catch my drift).

The stone chips are in front of the rear wheels in my case. In my opinon there are A LOT of them, including deep ones that go all the way through (you can see the white underneath). I've never had a car with so many stone chips in that area at barely 18'000km. 

The whole front of the car is already protected in PPF (done by the previous owner). 

I haven't noticed that the rear diffuser isn't a V-weave... that's indeed a bit off putting, and now i can't unsee it... 😐😅 It's a bit late now to change my mind i think, i've ordered and paid the parts nearly two weeks ago (but i believe they haven't been shipped yet). I guess i can still go back to the OEM plastic part if it bothers me too much. I've only ordered these because all of them combined were £ 2100.- including shipping. I can't even buy ONE of the OEM side skirts for that price (the OEM prices for these parts was where i've said "nooooo thanks!"... you've got a little gold mine mounted to your car there). 

Personally i like the red colour a lot (as it's the most "opposite" from green and compliments it perfectly in my opinion, but the yellow would be the classic Lotus colours in some ways). I'm getting used to the attention anyway. Not a single drive where someone doesn't yell out of their car while passing me, doesn't shake a thumbs up at me, doesn't film me with their phones as i pull out of a parking lot, doesn't leave a comment when i'm at the gas station, etc. I'm not sure this car can be called understatement at all... haha! I think i will leave it without additional colours for a start, and if i decide to go for a coulour, i think the best option would be foil wrapping / stripes that can be removed again easily. 

20 minutes ago, Gordon S said:

Stunning car, stunning pics above. 👌

I love yours! One of my favorite cars (and fav wheels) of all the profiles that I follow on instagram. 👍

Edited by lil_greenie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The empire does have good taste!

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.