Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Random car and/or Lotus related pictures and videos - Page 64 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Random car and/or Lotus related pictures and videos

Henry Catchpole was booked in by a PR company to review our classic cars and restorations.  That is why he wasn't reviewing modern Lotus on his last visit. EVO magazine always seem very generous when reviewing Lotus Cars, so I wouldn't be too concerned about any bias there.

Harry Metcalfe has had an Elan for a very very long time, so not sure the EVO chaps are particularly biased any more than the average car guy - Lotus generally just doesn't register. Another factor is that all of the true classic Lotus racing cars are in collections and change hands privately, and the more modern stuff that will occupy that space probably hasn't quite gotten there yet, and maybe the world has moved on and the era of that sort of hero car is bygone? Forgive my ignorance but is there someone out there racing an Exige/Elise/Evora that will make it worth 2/3 more than a private car, or one he didn't drive, later on? Have to call you on that one though Jono, shouldn't 'not classic enough' apply to the 997's too? Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown.

Was nice to see Henry Catchpole get a little more personal. 

Quite right, and now that Harry has also bought himself a good Esprit, the pro-Lotus stance of our best journalists might continue. We will certainly need them all on-side, once the next crop of Lotus cars is launched. The market is so competitive in just about every sector.

Lotus cars with a unique story to tell, 'the first of ...', 'the last of ...', 'owned by an ex-F1 driver...' etc., and limited-number products are always going to hold real interest for collectors.

The Porsche 997 series is to young to be called 'classic', or maybe even 'modern classic', but its interesting that 997 prices for good cars and low-production variants have stabilised, whereas the 991 series are continuing to depreciate. Those of us with long memories have seen this all before when the 996 series fell below 993 series levels.  It's all about the public's perception of the model.

• Like 1

We've seen the same price staibilization with recent Lotus output. They depreciate naturally and then just refuse to drop any further. I bought a nice early Evora LE in 2013 for 30K and it would be worth at least as much today. Others on here have similar stories. It's not just a Porsche phenomenon.

• Gold FFM
On 07/04/2018 at 18:12, Mark Blanchard said:

Wow, just wow!  And some bell end is bidding on it.

What made you search for that Barry?

It came up on a search - proper horrible that

1 hour ago, Chillidoggy said:

It's not Barry.

The advert says it runs and drives fine.

Yeah yeah yeah - I do have taste though 

• Confused 1

Only here once

• 2 weeks later...

Leno and Collins recreate a certain movie scene using a helicopter and a white 400.

I've started it at the relevant marker, but it's worth rewinding and watching the whole show when you get the time as it's all about movie cars. 

On 22/04/2018 at 11:30, Chillidoggy said:

Reckon the one on the trailer is gonna be a bit of a challenge.

A6B72C2A-BA1B-4BEB-A54E-FA3221FC003E.jpeg

It would certainly be a challenge to get it back on the road legally, as they were banned for safety reasons.

1 hour ago, andydclements said:

It would certainly be a challenge to get it back on the road legally, as they were banned for safety reasons.

A bloke who lived across the road from me used to have one. I think they can still be used on the roads, but the vast majority were government owned and scrapped, and there's only a few of them left now, which is just as well. There's another shell I see regularly, indeed I drove past it last night.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

There was a yard in Gloucester - in the middle of a terraced house area between some houses. These things were stacked 3 high - there must have been 15-20 of them piled up. 

All gone now and 3 more terraced town houses occupy the spot.

Only here once

• Gold FFM

I had a ride in one once as a kid. A disabled chap at the top of our road had one. It had motorbike handlebars inside instead of a stearing wheel.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Crip over the road from me at my mum and dad's house had one. He came home for lunch every day from the factory and of course in the evening. I always thought it was quite cool, the man had personal mobility, could spin his wheelchair out from the back and get around. I could fall off my moped if I pushed the thing too hard and had the same sentiment about the Invacar. Different times when something really useful and effective was designed and produced in this country and got blown away by the nannies...

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)