Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Picture & Video Thread - Page 82 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Picture & Video Thread

Bibs

9 minutes ago, cbclotus said:

Ok guys took the car out today for a spin with Mrs B....Drove fine .pulls well temperature stayed good .after buying lotus sender ....Still going to fit another control box to check temperature bought from car builders solution....Then going to get more air through shroud .Mrs B really enjoyed the car today ...And me .........put a lot of effort into this car .so the upshot is I think we will keep her ....Besides not one phone call ....So I think she wants to stay lol :cry:.I think it looks better with the lines ...Now to do the other side ....Mike

Glad you’re keeping Mike - get some large Turbo Esprit decals on her and the look will be transformed. I know it’s a non- Turbo V8 in the back but who cares the right look is what matters😎 Well done again on deciding to keep👏

458C73BC-F85B-42B0-8B10-1EBF73445E22.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andyww said:

Newlands Corner this afternoon. I acquired a spare set of BBS wheels and had them diamond cut, including machining the full width of the wheel centres flat, after inlaying with satin black.

Awesome. Now I know what to do with my BBS wheels!

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

5 hours ago, Andyww said:

I acquired a spare set of BBS wheels and had them diamond cut, including machining the full width of the wheel centres flat, after inlaying with satin black.

Wouldn't this weaken the wheel by reducing the thickness? 

Not suggesting its a bad idea, just curious :) 

It's getting there......

2 minutes ago, TAR said:

Wouldn't this weaken the wheel by reducing the thickness? 

Not suggesting its a bad idea, just curious :) 

There is loads of thickness behind the wheel centre. Not much needs to be machined off, its around 1mm at the edges of the centres and 6mm towards the middle as the original centres are convex. If you compare the resulting wheel with an original Compomotive centre, there is a lot more material on there.

• Like 1

That definitely weakens the wheel and I suspect the wheel centre is the worst place to remove any aluminium for when the wheel has lateral loads in the tight turns.
But of course I have no idea whether the wheels can handle it safely or not, they may be designed far much too strong.

9 minutes ago, Giniw said:

That definitely weakens the wheel and I suspect the wheel centre it's the worst place to remove any aluminium for when the wheel has lateral loads in the tight turns.
But of course I have no idea whether the wheels can handle it safely or not, they may be designed far much too strong.

Compared with the cx500 centre in my opinion there really is no issue. The four stud cx500 really has practically no material between the bolt holes and the 70 mm centre. 

4 hours ago, stephenwhyte said:

Glad you’re keeping Mike - get some large Turbo Esprit decals on her and the look will be transformed. I know it’s a non- Turbo V8 in the back but who cares the right look is what matters😎 Well done again on deciding to keep👏

458C73BC-F85B-42B0-8B10-1EBF73445E22.jpeg

I wish that was sitting on my drive. Oh, hang on a minute..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah I suppose there will be times when you think you should have kept that one Barry, but probably simpler to let it go and appreciate the Essex Turbo even more👍

9 hours ago, Giniw said:

That definitely weakens the wheel and I suspect the wheel centre is the worst place to remove any aluminium for when the wheel has lateral loads in the tight turns.

Its a valid point, I have compared the BBS quite extensively to the CX500 and the BBS have a much larger solid area in the centre, ie the spokes are shorter, (the pictures can be misleading as the black suggests through-holes but they are actually not) this area is thicker and as Fabian mentioned, the area immediately around the bolt holes is more substantial. There is a lot of thickness there which cant be seen. Also the BBS are a better quality casting and general manufacture. I believe the BBS are a very strong over-engineered wheel, after all this was made for daily drivers such as BMW, Merc and would have been designed to withstand abuse such as kerbing etc.

• Like 1

I noticed on the cars at Beaulieu yesterday and in your photo here that my mirror bases are different to yours and the other cars I've seen. I have the same rectangular (Ford?) mirrors but with more oval bases. Do I have the wrong ones or did they fit 2 diffferent types?

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

They fitted different types on later cars. The early ones are a rare Japanese make, they are only used on a few other cars such as the Aston Martin Lagonda and some London taxis.