Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
My new S4s has let me down! - Page 7 - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

My new S4s has let me down!

Stimpy

• Gold FFM

Stephen didn't say how long before it was trailered that he put the fuel in though Bibs. If the tanks are empty, either he didn't put two gallons in or it has gone somewhere. No?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

Bone dry?  Doubt it.  Probably just a figure of speech.  Didn't notice any fuel smell when the car was with me.  Didn't notice any fuel pump problem either!  The car didn't play up once all day.  Watched pot, I guess.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Looks like it was an exaggeration of the situation from the dealer.  Fair play though - there was an issue with the relay to do with the fuel gauge / fuel light.  Definitely no leaks.

So they fixed that.

They're waiting on a new pump - due next Wednesday.

I'm also sending them my charge cooler (electric one) from pnm so they can fit it.

They're putting new struts for the 'boot' so it actually goes up rather than having to pinch the bloody plastic to get the thing open

They're going to fill the air con

And search for the smell of fuel

...then i can have have it back!

Of course I can't help but feel worried that the immobiliser hasn't got anything to do with it. I'd like them to unwire it but I don't think they'll do that.  Knowing my luck it was the immobiliser that broke the fuel pump due to ...... due to..... erm.... am I being paranoid?

...and 2 dpg (days per gallon) would be a great economy if I could drive the blummin thing.

For the moment I own a Lotus V8 (a working one [...shhh I never said that]) on the Xbox 360.

Here's the sad thing....

I have a car seat system with steering/ flappy gear stick/ pedals/ bucket seat/ vibrating thunder thingy and a 10ft screen.

I got it when I had "money" about 5 years ago.

If anyone want's a go......

Heh! You can crash your Lotus by taking it too far and you get a brand new one.

A 300bhp upgrade on an Elise makes it undrivable btw

Point is - I can drive a virtual Esprit.  Is it like the real thing?  Fun - but no-where near.  Nice details though

Driving a virtual Esprit is no fun at all - the thrill of the car trying to kill you at every misstep just isn't there, nor is the smug feeling of being in the best looking thing on the road while others look on in envy.

No sir. Ain't nothing on Earth like owning, running and driving a Lotus Esprit. Best. Car. Ever. FACT.

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

No sir. Ain't nothing on Earth like owning, running and driving a Lotus Esprit. Best Car. Ever. FACT.

Way to go Vanya :-)
  • Like 1

Cheers,

John W

Ahem - have you driven a 'proper' mini?

Usually everyone who has driven a mini exits the car shaking but with a very wide smile on their face.

I'd like to see a tuned mini (1280- 1380 cc) and race it against a Lotus on a track that is nothing but corners. It eats Porches for breakfast.

On to the Stag - try to drive on of them! Forget speed - just cruise down a busy street with the roof off.  The music from the tailpipes is like nothing you'd ever heard. "burble".  Did anyone see 'for the love of cars', recently.  Be aware for everyone  to stare a you as you cruise down the road.

The Esprit is something else.  You get to understand what 'super car' really means  :rambo:

Do you want to know something rather sad?

I've done the xbox simulator in a....... Honda Civc!!!!

Well it is my main car, c'mon!!!

Way to go Vanya :-)

I will admit - when I sold my first one I was genuinely upset seeing someone else drive it away from my house forever,

I bought a 1973 Stag years ago. Tahiti blue, alloys, looked absolutely stunning, sounded great. But as a driving experience, the rear suspension was awful, as was the 3-speed auto gearbox, and it was the most unreliable car I've ever owned. The Triumph V8 engine let go the first week I had it. I fitted the 12-vane water pump, new enlarged radiator, a Kenlowe fan plus the mechanical one, and an engine oil cooler. It STILL ran hot!

I couldn't wait to get shot of the thing. I lost £7,000 in a year on it. When I eventually sold it I had a party to celebrate its departure.

A friend of mine used to say that everyone should own a Stag at some point in their lives.....................but I don't talk to him any more.

Margate Exotics.

25% of all Stags made are still being used on the roads today.  That makes it top of the chart (behind the Landrover)

IF you saw 'for the love of cars' on TV recently you'd have seen the verdict - it's a very reliable car that does all the things right - but at the production line?  It was put together without skill at all.  Many engines were fitted with the sand still in the pipes from the cylinder head production!  Sand in water - clogged arteries - car under warranty so it gets fixed without finding the issue and the whole story starts again.

You are right about the auto g/box.  A big 3L V8 screaming it's nuts off at 70 miles an hour shows how few motorway were around in the early 70's!

I replaced mine with a ZF auto which locks the power train like a '5th gear'.  You can do a ton and only hear the wind in the air.

However the best music was driving at 20 through a village town centre so the song from the back reflected off the walls of the shops!!! 

I think most Stags still being used today are in pretty good shape, or they wouldn't have survived 40-odd years. As with most oldtimers that aren't exclusive enough to be reduced to pampered garage queens.

We got a Stag last year, it drives great and has proven to be very reliable (recently did a weekend UK, 1000km without any problems). With a manual + overdrive it's a comfortable cruiser at 70-80mph and it feels lively and enjoyable on country roads as well. Although not exactly fast or even sporty, I do love the driving experience. I gave it a good check and replaced all bushes and bearings that had any play as well as the tyres, and can't fault the suspension or handling. It is rather soft, so it it would be interesting to see how it stands up to being pushed. 

Filip 

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Going off topic, I know, but the Stag driveshafts are simple splined inners and outers, and can be prone to locking up on cornering. It goes like this: You turn into a corner, the inner driveshaft slides up inside the outer due to compliance in the suspension bushes. When you exit the corner, put power on and straightened up out of the corner, the driveshaft would lock. As you eased off the power, the back end of the car would lurch sideways as the driveshaft unloaded, and unlocked, which was disconcerting to say the least. It felt to me like a wheel was coming off the car. No matter what I did to them, and whatever combination of lubricant I greased them with, I never stopped the problem.

There was a conversion which involved a hybrid of Triumph and Datsun parts, but I never got around to it. Previous to that, I'd had a pair of 240Z Datsuns (mechanically very nice cars, but bodies made from recycled rusty metal and rotted like hell), their driveshafts were double jointed, with balls inbetween the sliding splines so that they would never lock up. Shame the Stag ones weren't the same. If BL had sorted out the problems with the Stag before they launched it, the story would have been quite different. There were very few 4-seater convertibles, and few that looked as good.

As soon as I sold my Stag, I went straight out and bought a Reliant Scimitar GTC, the 4-seat convertible, which was a brilliant car. I then bought another Scimitar for the missus. Loved them to bits, and miss them.

Anyway, I'm hijacking Stimpy's thread and I've only been a member for five minutes, so I'll shut up. Sorry about that, I promise to keep quiet in future.

Margate Exotics.

Being a Stag-owner himself, I'm sure Stimpy wont mind.

I know about the problems with the rear driveshafts and the conversion to Datsun (does sound like sacrilege), but haven't experienced it myself. But as said, I've never really pushed the Stag either (I rarely do that with any car). Maybe we're just lucky.

If BL had put some more effort and support into the Stag, it would have bee a great car from the beginning, just as you say. As it was it took a lot of patience (and time/money/effort) from the owners to get everything in good shape. A true shame, for such a nice car to be let down like that. Then again, it's only because it is such a nice car that people are stubborn enough to keep them running.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Of course I won't mind  :smoke: !!  You're talking about one of my three motoring loves - Esprit, Stag, Mini - and in no particular order (they are so different).

And besides - the Esprit is being 'seen to' now so I'm just chatting to fellow Lotus owners in the waiting room - LOL.

'locking driveshaft'?  Not heard of that one.  I've heard of the 'Stag' swerve on cornering but I've never experienced it.

I'm pleased to know that the lotus forum is as popular as the stag one (or vice versa, if one had the lotus first).

Like here you could post 'I've got a problem with......' and there'll be 11 responses in less than an hour. At time of writing this there are 62 people actively logged into the stag forum! No exaggeration !

Having seen the old films of strikes every other day and the forced marriage of triumph, rover, etc into that brilliant idea called "BL" (thank the Lord Lotus wasn't 'communised') it's not surprising about the lack of effort on the production side.  Considering how popular they are today - I suspect that if they hadn't balls'd up the thing 40 years ago we might have a British Triumph Stag still being made today (similar to mini fame).

With the overdrive geared version you wouldn't know how painful the auto was at 70 mph or over!  I HAD to get the ZF conversion.

A friend of mine who owns an M3 and M5 (BMW) had a go in the Stag and I told him to floor it at about 50.  The box dropped down 2 gears and the thing took off like a rocket.  THAT'S how you enjoy the Stag.  And with the roof off the sound generated is automotive orgasm! 

Re: the programme 'for the love of cars' - they took a 'barnyard stag' to bits - including taking the engine to bits and they built it up again with professional care.  AT the end they tested it and took it through various tasks and they commented that the car was perfect, temperature great, performance good, and very reliable - so why did the Stag get the reputation - they asked.  They finally decided that there was purely and simply no care involved in building the cars.  They considered adding modern bits like an electric fan but decided to keep it exactly how it was originally - and they could not fault it.  At Lotus they have passion in making their cars - I think that the making of BL and 'red robbo' made a once proud group of car makers lose that passion. 

Hang on - just looking through the reception window..... nope my Esprit's not ready yet.....

Chaps, esp Sparky, 

The dealer still has my car for the moment - they say there is another problem that caused the fuel pump to overrun and break.  To do with the fuel stop switch (or whatever it's called).

Anyhow - my question is - having given them the electric charge cooler kit they say it will take 6 man hours to fit which they will do at £75 per hour rather than the normal 110.

A quick question - is 6 hours reasonable?  I thought it would be quicker and that even I could do it.....

The electrical chargecooler pump can be installed within 2 hours easily! I wouldn't call £75/hour reasonable either...

So better to do it yourself, you'll get both the experience and satisfaction and gain a better understanding of your car at the same time.

Plenty of threads on here, basically you unbolt the mechanical pump, plug the hole and move the hoses over to the electric pump. Then all you need is to decide where to take the power from. I'm using the fused feed for the aircorelais myself, as I have removed the airco. But any ignition controlled 12V will do, just add an inline fuse of the correct rating.

Filip

Chaps, esp Sparky, 

The dealer still has my car for the moment - they say there is another problem that caused the fuel pump to overrun and break.  To do with the fuel stop switch (or whatever it's called).

Eh? What?

Your fuel pump is supposed to run permanently......... so it can't over run!?!?!?!?!?

Pressure is regulated by the fuel pressure regulator. If that is what they said then they are talking shit I'm afraid.

Fuel stop switch LOL..... Dealers, gotta love em for the bullcrap they spout!

• Like 1

Chunky Lover

• Gold FFM

What, they pulling the engine?  That's way over the top.  I'd make them repair the existing pump within the terms of the warranty.  Then you can fit the electric pump at your leisure.

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

The electrical chargecooler pump can be installed within 2 hours easily! I wouldn't call £75/hour reasonable either...

So better to do it yourself, you'll get both the experience and satisfaction and gain a better understanding of your car at the same time.

Plenty of threads on here, basically you unbolt the mechanical pump, plug the hole and move the hoses over to the electric pump. Then all you need is to decide where to take the power from. I'm using the fused feed for the aircorelais myself, as I have removed the airco. But any ignition controlled 12V will do, just add an inline fuse of the correct rating.

Filip

Nice bit of guesswork there!  I contacted the pump kit manufacturer and they said up to 2 hours too!

I think they may be near the 'loss making' margin for the car and need to recoup somehow.

I'll make a few points about fitting the thing after I've read the other responses below you, so hold on.....

Eh? What?

Your fuel pump is supposed to run permanently......... so it can't over run!?!?!?!?!?

Pressure is regulated by the fuel pressure regulator. If that is what they said then they are talking shit I'm afraid.

Fuel stop switch LOL..... Dealers, gotta love em for the bullcrap they spout!

I might be getting the lingo wrong but clues are:

They took my fuel pump off and chucked 12v straight at it and it wouldn't do anything - so obviously dead.

I made a point about hoping it wasn't to do with something else that killed the pump. Like remnants of the immobiliser 

They came back with a discovery of the (and here is where my tech stuff is lacking so heres a copy and paste)..

"The car is now up and running! - we have now discovered that the reason the fuel pump failed is the fuel cut off switch had failed causing the pump to overrun"

So that was the diagnosis direct.

They (as in "I") have to wait for Lotus parts to get the bits to them - which is not 'next day' shall we say.  Not their fault there, I guess.

A look out of the house window - REALLY want the thing back.

For the moment I have a 'splendid' grin-maker - the stag minus roof!

Funny thing - the pump for that is in the boot.  It 'ticks' to tell you it's working.  If you have a bash then a knock sensor is under the boot lid.  You press a button.  End of story.  (I had to use it once, I'm afraid).  How easy?  On the other hand - a V8 with half the power of 'the missing one'. But then the Stag was made for cruising' ..... whoops get back on topic....  next post to read...

What, they pulling the engine?  That's way over the top.  I'd make them repair the existing pump within the terms of the warranty.  Then you can fit the electric pump at your leisure.

The fuel pump and associates are within warranty - the charge cooler isn't.  "Sold as seen" as it were!

I don't think they're removing the engine from the bay (or do they have to for the accessibility stuff).?

Is this garage next door to the binocular shop?

A flare up of ulcerative colitis and a dead brain renders that quote as 'over my head' I'm afraid.

Anyone got U/C?  Fun isn't it?

Ok - details of current idea coming up.....

Current idea.  As promised / threatened....

- First - I've asked them NOT to fit the CC pump.  PNM said that they'd do an engine rebuild for the 6* 110 original quotation they offered! Jeez - that's 660 quid pus 20% !   I really can justify it.

I regret asking them to replace the boot struts, knowing the hourly rate.

Although I don't regret asking them to sort the Air con.  I can only imagine it's quite specific for that sort of car.  Not your 'turn up, re gas, drive away minus £40'.

Sooooo....... on to the c cooler issue.

I might be repeating myself but does anyone disagree or become horrified by any of the following points...

1) Remove the bolt on the top of the CC 

2) Remove the pipes that are clearly visible at the top of the CC as you look at it from the right o the car

3) (possibly tricky bit) remove the 'old dizzy' clamp from the impeller housing somewhat downward and inward going in from the rear of the car engine (quite central) and inward.

4) Encourage the old impeller out - begging if necessary - maybe some tears too.  I realise that the bits are legacy from when it powered a standard dizzy).

5) Chuck a water hose to each and every hole and give it a good rinse inside (maybe do this before removing the impeller as I'd guess the water would rush out of there)

6) put an airline into each hole and try and blow as much old fluid as possible out, i.e. attempting to dry it out

7) put dizzy/impeller plug in place, held by a collar.

8) Attach pipes and pump to the two holes at the top of the CC.  The pump is small and the pipes are short therefore I guess the pump would rest 'untethered', i.e. suspended.  I fitted a large davies pump to the stag cooling system and that was meant to hang by itself to avoid transmitting the vibrations to the car frame.

9) Add coolant and allow air to escape from the top filler bolt (running the car to push out air locks?)

Heres a novelty - any thoughts on using 'waterless coolant' thats become all the rage recently ?

I think the fluid is a bit thicker than standard coolant but it contains no water at all.

I think it bold at 180C but that's more for engine cooling.

If not waterless coolant which would be best - red or blue?

Have I got the instructions correct there?  This is from my head rather than reading it off a website - I'm just using instinct.

My major question is - are the 2 pipes at the TOP of the CC the ones that the electric pump is attached too?.

Re - connecting to power.  I'm not too bad at this - I have a mini !!!

How could that take longer than an hour?  Is it the impeller removal part?

Thanks to you all....