Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ian's S4s refurb - Page 69 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Ian's S4s refurb

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Job done.

5mm thick flat bar in the engine bay side, 2mm reinforced rubber jointing between the chassis tab and the GRP, 3mm thick spreader plate over the original plates, and fixed by M10 bolts with nylocs. If the noise is still there after all this, then it’s something else.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

It'd be quite amusing if it was just your coolant pipe flapping about.

• Love 2

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

I've faxed you a replacement.

• Haha 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I don't know yet.

The foul weather and/or the lack of time has stopped me from testing it, but I'm hoping to do so in the next couple of days. Report to follow.

Margate Exotics.

1 hour ago, Chillidoggy said:

then I won't have to listen to the wife moaning 

There is only one way to fix that ! :sofa:

• 2 weeks later...

Brake Stuff.

I always felt that the EBC Yellowstuff pads were a little inconsistent side to side when cold, although OK once they were warmed up. They do at times tend to squeal like you've trodden on a piglet, and I finally grew tired of it. Having successfully used Mintex M1144 compound pads on my Dax Cobra for many years, I though I might try a set of those to see what difference they made. It had also occurred to me that, as I'd fitted the Hi-Spec Monster 6 calipers prior to the new brake conversion, they could have been subject to a diet of muck via the old Delco master cylinder during the bleeding process, so I decided to remove them for cleaning and inspection.

Removing 6 pistons from each caliper required cutting a few pieces of softwood to act as blocks when the compressed air was applied to remove them. I found one or two of the smaller pistons reluctant to move even under full pressure, although they did after a few seconds. The calipers are alloy, as are the pistons, and whilst I could see no marks whatsoever on them, there were a few areas in the caliper piston recesses that showed some pick-up. That said, it was very light, however some of the fluid washing around in there was a bit dirty, so I flushed them out and reassembled them.

The Mintex pads are not supplied with any shims, but Hi-Spec supplied me with some self-adhesive 3M rubbery material which has to be cut to size. I've only ever seen stainless shims before, so it seemed a bit odd! I decided to try the pads without them first but the noise was dreadful, so I pulled the pads again, and fitted the sticky shim material. This stopped the squealing, although it was clear they will take some time to bed in on the old discs before I can really decide if they're any better for me.

I also need to progress with setting up the new proportioning valve which I've not had time to do so far, as it's a tricky matter when you live in a built-up area. To be on the safe side, I gave it maximum limiting to start with, and after some discussions with Sparky on percentages front/rear have now wound it in a couple of turns to see how that feels. Clearly, the thought of a green Esprit going backwards into a sign post is not a good thing, so a little caution needs to be exercised.

Margate Exotics.

2 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

Clearly, the thought of a green Esprit going backwards into a sign post is not a good thing, so a little caution needs to be exercised.

I can give you some pointers on thoughts of a green Esprit going forwards into a signpost if you would like?

• Haha 2

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

• 1 month later...

The 1140s started squealing yet again, and I also noticed that the braking seemed uneven, pulling to one side. Called Hi-Spec, who asked me to bring the pads, the caliper and disc from the offending side back to them. When I removed the new pads, I noticed an inclusion in one that looked like a metal arrowhead, very odd.

I felt that some of the pistons weren’t operating as they should be, too. Took the bits back to HiSpec, they remachined the calipers in one of the passageways, and tested it. They offered a replacement for the 1144 pads, so I took some M1230s to see how they fared.

Have to say the HiSpec service was very good indeed, as was that of Pete from PNM, who, when I called to say I had a problem, offered to send me new discs and calipers FOC. You simply cannot beat that kind of response, and once again I find myself praising the PNM service when all the parts were way out of their warranty period. I declined the caliper offer though, hoping to sort out the issue via HiSpec. Pete did however send me new discs, and I returned the old ones to him.

Anyway, I replaced the caliper, and it then pulled slightly to the opposite side on initial braking. Aaaaarrgh!

So I called HiSpec again, and they said they’d have a look at the other caliper, remachine it and test it for me. That will have to wait now as I’m away for a week, but meanwhile I did jack the proportioning valve up earlier today to increase pressure to the rears. The car felt better overall, in spite of the slight imbalance. With more braking effort being available on the front due to the big brake kit, I felt I could get away with more to the rear. Until I upgrade the rears, which is on the cards at some point. And I’d really like the electric parking brake.

Dear Santa......

8AD78F18-338E-4457-9702-2C43B0B50111.jpeg

• Like 2

Margate Exotics.