Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ian's S4s refurb - Page 80 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Ian's S4s refurb

Finished off the red wrinkle paint this morning. Overall, the results were pretty good, again, heat is the key to a decent job. There was some bleed through from the paint, but very little. I peeled the pinstriping off while the paint was just dry, let it harden a bit, then used some brake cleaner and a rag to clean up the edges of the flutes and the logos.

I’ve also finished off cleaning up the throttle bodies, and the inlet fannymould, did a quick trial fit and it all looks good thus far. Next up is a return to cleaning the engine block and the main bearing girdle, followed by the myriads of nuts, bolts and washers to get ready for assembly.

05A5670F-16E2-4089-B39B-4C7B673A0EC4.jpeg

Margate Exotics.

Is that some sort of mechanical thing that sits under the bonnet thingy!  Not sure cos it looks really shiny and I suspected those things would be all greasy and oily!

On a serious note, re the red wrinkle paint, which looks uber cool - when you say heat is the key, please explain to a numpty what you mean. I'm still only on this manual and am struggling to finish it as it has lots of jargonese in it....

The Ladybird Book of Motor Cars

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Basically, the piece you want to spray has to be hot, needs heating up with the heat gun first off, hot enough so you can’t touch it. As soon as you’ve made a pass with the aerosol, you have to get the heat gun back on the piece, moving it back and forth so the paint doesn’t get a chance to run. Same process again to add layers, I did about three or four, playing the heat gun on its highest setting over it until it had wrinkled up nicely. Bit of a pain, but OK once you get the hang of it.

Anyway, on earth did you get hold of Sparky’s bible? His entire knowledge base is contained between the front and back cover.

• Thanks 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

It was the AA Book Of The Car, circa 1968, but close enough and fair cop.  I actually have no idea what I'm doing, and blag it most of the time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Ha ha! Nice. I had a few albums from the IoM TT, which I used to play rather loud on the stereo. That Guzzi V8 sounds really nice, when on full throttle and volume turned up to 8'o'clock.

Kind regards,

jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• Gold FFM
On 17/03/2020 at 18:42, Chillidoggy said:

On to more mundane things, the wife masked up the bits that need to be painted red. I bought some car pinstriping to mask off the flutes, which worked well. I worked out that heat is the key to a decent finish, so got the hot air gun out before spraying, then quickly back with the hot air again, and so on.

21644584-F22E-498E-9740-2CF25914E012.jpeg

Seeing that picture has got me thinking that the inverse colour scheme actually looks quite smart too!

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

• Gold FFM
5 hours ago, sailorbob said:

@tomcattom When I saw that picture I thought the same thing and it had a kind of retro look about it.

Its really tempting me to do that when the time comes to drop the engine out of mine. Would like to get it driving again before that happens though 🙃

7 hours ago, Jacques said:

Ha ha! Nice. I had a few albums from the IoM TT, which I used to play rather loud on the stereo. That Guzzi V8 sounds really nice, when on full throttle and volume turned up to 8'o'clock.

Kind regards,

jacques

Me too, had the Honda 50 as it came into Ramsey hairpin, it had to come down through 16 gears and as it accelerated away back up through the 16 gears

• Like 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

• Gold FFM

On mine all of the red engine bits are crinkle finish except for the chargecooler, which isn't. Is that standard or has someone been at mine with the paint before and taken the easy route.

17 minutes ago, tomcattom said:

On mine all of the red engine bits are crinkle finish except for the chargecooler, which isn't. Is that standard or has someone been at mine with the paint before and taken the easy route.

Yes, the charge cooler should be the same red wrinkle finish as the rest. 

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Chillidoggy said:

Yes, the charge cooler should be the same red wrinkle finish as the rest. 

Eurgh, something else to put on the ever growing list.

• Haha 1

If you can get the materials, that is. I've been waiting for Lotus parts from the UK for close to 12 moths now. I guess that they got cought up in the brexit turmoil, or some other realistic situation. Pretty boring.

Kind regards,

jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

The good news - I received a call yesterday to say the gearbox is back together, complete with new seals, gaskets and LSD. The bad news - I can't go out to collect it. But as Connaught Competition Engines is shut for now, and as all my engine bits are there, with no sign of me getting them back yet, it matters not.

Meanwhile, I'm searching for other work that I can do while the engine and gearbox are out. Thing is, there's not much I haven't already replaced, so I'm scratching, and in danger of inventing work.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

You could rearrange Shan's cleaning station...

• Haha 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.