Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
sport button - Page 3 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

sport button

Yes its called sticky tape! 😉

I think there is an override that stops the sport mode being enabled on a cold engine.  I've not tried pressing it on a cold engine, so I don't know if sport mode is enabled but revs are still limited until the engine is warm or if you have to reenable sport mode once engine has some heat?

I doubt the Lotus software has an option to always enable sport mode.  But maybe someone like Komotec who have cracked the Lotus ECU encryption could reprogram the throttle map for you?

And certainly if you use an aftermarket ECU like the SCS Delta in my car that can be programmed with what ever throttle map and rev limiter you want.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
21 minutes ago, agentdr8 said:

No, it's controlled by the ECU. The default setting at power cycle is to have it disabled. There are a few ways I can think of to mimic the button press in an automated fashion though. 

What are these ways ? Sounds like witchcraft to me ! 
so can my lotus centre do it or is the cost prohibitive ? 

No, I doubt Lotus has a means for this to be always enabled in the ECU. 

My thought is by using an Arduino or other microcontroller to mimic the actions that a physical button press perform. 

• Gold FFM

It's just a map, so why not? Your problem is that you would need someone to crack the Lotus encryption first and I don't think anyone has yet and the numbers aren't there to bother trying

• 1 month later...

While we're on the topic of sports buttons...

I've got a 2014 Evora S with valved 2bular exhaust. Is the following normal?

Sport mode ON:

• Idle = loud
  • Pulling away (upto about 2.5k rpm) = quiet
  • Anything over 2.5k rpm = loud
  • Motorway = loud

Sport mode OFF:

• Idle = quiet
  • Motorway = quiet

So, the only difference seems to be at idle, and when motorway cruising.

I thought the sport button OFF would keep it quiet all the time, and sport ON would keep it loud all the time, no? I'll be honest, I find it a bit too loud personally. I'd like the option of being able to drive it in 'quiet' mode, but even with sport OFF it goes into loud/valve open easily

• Gold FFM

I believe that the behavior mentioned by 92 spicer is correct. My Lotus unit on a 2013 NA SR (which I assume works the same) with sport button on is loud at idle/low revs quiet when pootling then you will hear it pssht at 2.5k and let loose. Quiet on the motorway. Exactly as you would want.

Note, I don't know when it gets loud with Sports button off... I only use that to move away from the neighbours

Thanks gents, interesting feedback. I have read of the 4700rpm transition but this doesn't seem to be the case on my car.

@TdMthe only difference being that I want it loud all the time with the sport button on( and quiet until high revs with sport off) 😄 It sounds silly to have it quiet as you pootle along, then suddenly get loud as you get marginally faster (it feels 'fake' if you know what I mean?). And it's still very loud not in sport mode (louder than I'd prefer).

The sport button at the moment basically turns it into drone on the motorway on/off

@agentdr8thanks for this. It all makes sense, however the last paragraph seems to not apply to my vehicle, which is the bit that I'm thinking is odd.

I'm going to try putting the stock exhaust back on in the next few weeks anyway, so will keep an eye on this and if it behaves the same way, and give you an update

Edited by 92spicer

• Gold FFM

The only part I believe that is a bit strange is that it's loud and drones on the motorway. I suppose that depends on what speed you are going but around the correct speed limit mine is quiet even with sports mode on.

I completely don't believe that the valve is always open with sports button on because I can hear it opening and closing at different revs (just wind the window down, it's quite loud)

Maybe 'drone' isn't the right word as the sound at 70mph is still acceptable, but it's definitely in loud mode (and quiet mode with sport off at 70mph). 

Yeah, agreed with your second statement. I'm just trying to figure out if this is normal or not. From digging around in a few other threads other peoples valve seems to work in the same way, so maybe this is normal

• 3 months later...

@92spicer if you're still fettling with the exhaust setup, I would recommend trying the silenced decat pipe (SDCP) in combination with your valved 2bular.

I initially went for the valved 2bular this spring, and quickly realised loud mode was far too loud for my liking.  I found it a bit boomy around 40-50mph, and too attention grabbing.  A couple of times I was actually heard clearly about 3 miles from home, as the crow flies..

I've now had a SDCP made up as an exact match for the 2bular plain decat pipe (when I suggested/requested this setup, Jim required me to send up the plain pipe to ensure the SDCP was made within tolerance).

This has transformed the system and it's now perfect to my ear, probably 8/10 as opposed to 10/10 before.  In loud mode it's still got all the character, but at a volume I'm happy with in any scenario.  I could also switch back to the plain pipe eventually as my hearing starts to go 😉

Just to note, I have had some trouble with the valve control solenoid.  It's not responding to the ECU, so it's a choice at the start of each trip whether I'd like it loud or quiet using a manual switch added to the vacuum pipes.  However, I'm fitting a radio controlled valve soon & will hook it up to the garage door controls on the roof.  Apparently in quiet mode it's still a straight through design, so there's no need to be concerned about back-pressure (but due to heat possibly damaging the valve I would never run in full quiet mode to get on a trackday, for example).

Thanks Doug. What exactly is the difference between the SDCP and normal, ie whats actually different between the two pipes to make it quiter?

Your profile says you're in Hitchin? I'll probably be heading over to Letchworth to see some friends soon (covid permitting) so could meet up and take a look if you don't mind? Alternatively I'm right by brands hatch if you're down this way at all!

The SDCP was part of some of Jim's track exhaust systems, which I thought would do the trick to achieve what I wanted.  Jim then put this on the site:

https://www.2bular.co.uk/evora-s/70mm-silenced-de-cat-pipe-sdcp

It has no packing materials, instead it's a series of mini chambers & baffles to cancel out certain frequencies.  Apparently it gives about a 5db drop in volume, which for me took it from ASBO to acceptable..

Yes more than happy for you to have a look, the car is currently SORN as I wasn't expecting to use it this month or next, but you're welcome to hear it running on the drive.  Send me a PM if you'd like to arrange something 👍. Otherwise will let you know if I'm down that way when I'm back on the road.

There's nothing wrong with the normal non-valved 2Bular exhaust which I have had on my car for the last 8 years with the 3rd cat delete pipe. It doesnt boom, its not too loud - its just a nice sport sound with a few burbles and ofcourse is a lot simpler than the valved ones and not connected in anyway to the ecu. Think mine was a 7 inch box, possibly 8 and it passes all noise tests - 95db at 4500 rpm.

Yes the valved 2bular in loud mode effectively creates a straight pipe system.  Just the manifold (with pre cats) and the middle/2nd cat, then a clear run to the exit.  Awesome sound but too much for some (myself included).

• 3 months later...
On 08/09/2021 at 15:54, 92spicer said:

While we're on the topic of sports buttons...

I've got a 2014 Evora S with valved 2bular exhaust. Is the following normal?

Sport mode ON:

• Idle = loud
  • Motorway = loud

Sport mode OFF:

• Idle = quiet
  • Motorway = quiet

So, the only difference seems to be at idle, and when motorway cruising.

I thought the sport button OFF would keep it quiet all the time, and sport ON would keep it loud all the time, no? I'll be honest, I find it a bit too loud personally. I'd like the option of being able to drive it in 'quiet' mode, but even with sport OFF it goes into loud/valve open easily

An update on this...

Whilst cleaning my BOE air intake, I realised that it doesn't have the vacuum reservoir installed (intake and exhaust installed by previous owner).

The stock air intake has this hidden inside the airbox, but it's removed on the BOE intake. The exhaust valve is open by default and shuts under vacuum, but as you pull away and revs rise, the vacuum decreases, opening the exhaust valves. The reservoir is there to hold this vacuum under regular driving.

So that should be why even in 'normal' mode my exhaust was really loud. I've got a vacuum reservoir ordered (a maserati one for £20 rather than the expensive BOE one) which should actually make my 2bular exhaust quieter when not in Sport mode 

On 08/04/2022 at 20:54, trcm said:

Let me know how you hook it up and where you mount it, I had a look at doing it on mine but without buying more vacuum tube couldn’t find a nice way to do it.

OK, this is much better!

Some context:

Previously I'd said that the 2bular exhaust was too loud. My car had the 2bular valved exhaust with BOE intake.

The original air box has a vacuum reservoir built in (which allows the exhaust valves to work whilst you're driving). I realised nobody had added a replacement vacuum reservoir, so the exhaust was basically in loud mode pretty much all the time.

I've added a vacuum reservoir in, and now with sport mode OFF, the car is 'quiet' (sounds like the original exhaust with sport mode ON, up until the 4500rpm limit where the valve opens anyway), and with sport mode ON the car is loud. Exactly how I wanted it (and how it should be).

The BOE reservoir was $60 + shipping + VAT + import duty... so I bought a Maserati one off eBay for £20 instead. Slightly different shape but the same thing- a ball with an inlet, outlet, and valve. I think BOE use an EPMAN 47076 but I couldn't find this in stock anywhere.

Installation: very easy.

1. Pop the BOE intake out (1 big jubilee clip and one other connecting hose)
  2. Bolt the vacuum reservoir down to the old intake mounting plate (note, for my maserati reservoir I had to use a knife to lengthen the slots for the bolts by about 5mm)
  3. Snip the vacuum hose that was connected to the supercharger > exhaust solenoid. (Note, you might want to check your hose is long enough before snipping it. Mine had enough slack in it, tucked away by the solenoid valve. If not you'll just need to by about 1m of hose.)
  4. Attach the supercharger end to the wide nozzle on the reservoir
  5. Attach the exhaust solenoid end of the hose to the narrow nozzle on the reservoir
  6. Put the BOE intake back in.

1649954138894.jpg

1649954138881.jpg

Edited by 92spicer