Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Life in the old v8 yet - Page 32 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Life in the old v8 yet

• Gold FFM

The wife has no interest at all in "that" car........

box was easy to pull. Finger crossed it won't be too expensive to fix - and should a doddle to bang back in. 

Only here once

• Gold FFM
22 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Dunno - it's almost certainly what's broken in mine :angry:

another crown wheel and pinion needed.....

Is the pinion integral with the output Shaft? As I don't see how that damage can occur without something else letting go first.

The upgrade kit for these boxes comprises of larger diameter primary and output shafts and stronger driveshaft flanges, these are the weak parts. I'd have a good look at the output Shaft and it's bearings before putting it back together, as something must have caused the pinion and Crown wheel to disengage slightly to cause this type of damage.

I've been told that trench coats are quite popular in that area of the U.K.

For the weather of course.

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

• Gold FFM

I occasionally whip mine out when I go across the street to the park.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Again another thread straight down the gutter. Why am I surprised.....

anyone got a spare gearbox for a v8 that's been propping the lounge door open you no longer require ??

the end of another week - now sat in a curry house for tea and picking up the eldest from swimming at 2130

Only here once

• Gold FFM

So - where will I find the part number stamped in the crown wheel ???

i was sure I read somewhere that the lotus part number is stamped on it - I'm looking but I'm seeing no lotus part number on it - does that mean it's a Renault crown wheel snuck in there

Only here once

Barry, here's hoping that when you do procure and install a new crown wheel that the planets are aligned. :)

• Like 2

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

SJ lists CWP's at £134 + VAT. Seems a very good price to me.

I'm not entirely sure what differences there are between UN26 and 27, but from what I read it's the 5th gear ratio. If that's all it is, then maybe you could use an S4 box, and transfer the 5th gear components? Assuming it has the RH gear change.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Right now I'm proper confused. 

sj list a082f6484f at £134 a set..... now I was of the opinion that the crown wheel and pinion in the v8 was different. So what is the part number?? Off to the trusty v8  parts manual and take a look ........a082f6484f !!! What ?? Really ?? Honest??? Is that correct ??? :rtfm:

someone MUST know the truth........this is seeming more murky that a Parisian tunnel car crash 

Only here once

• Gold FFM

IMG_0816.PNG

ok - so looks like this answers my questions..... the CWP looks to have never changed other that the revisions to "f" on the parts code - so there may be an interesting story behind the revision of that part.

two plans now in place - if it wasn't for the information on here and roundabouts together with the folks on here - this whole experience would be very very difficult indeed

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Not sure any esprit gearbox has a reverse synchro - they all grind it seems unless you use 1st first.......

the main thing for me is the cwp is the same across all of them 

Only here once

• Gold FFM
6 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Right now I'm proper confused. 

sj list a082f6484f at £134 a set..... now I was of the opinion that the crown wheel and pinion in the v8 was different. So what is the part number?? Off to the trusty v8  parts manual and take a look ........a082f6484f !!! What ?? Really ?? Honest??? Is that correct ??? :rtfm:

someone MUST know the truth........this is seeming more murky that a Parisian tunnel car crash 

Nope - now more confused that's ever.....

a082f6584s - listed on sales list as v8 set ??? Arghhhhhh

But searching elsewhere - that's a gt3 part number....

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Righto - I now have two very clear paths of opportunity.

she will be fixed for December on way or another - that way I won't need to do a sorn. And done properly

I now have another project firmly insight - so anyone want to buy a lovely sorted v8 - I may well be up for a deal........

Only here once