Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
New tyres - Page 4 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

New tyres

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • 10 months later...

Thought I’d get the thread going again. 
front tyres seem very limited now. Maybe Yokohama advan AD08 the only decent one but it’s a track oriented tyre. 
I was thinking of running 245 40 17 instead of the 235 40 17. Gives a better choice of tyre. 
has anyone done this?

cheers. 

• 2 weeks later...

I went for the Nankang NS2R tyres Andy and they feel really good.  Good grip even in the wet and also great tread pattern looking on the wide rears from behind.  They seem quite predictable and can break traction at will at the rear (bit of throttle pedal 😂)  but in a controlled way .

downside is they are pretty noisy and they are really really stiff on the sidewall 

On 06/07/2020 at 12:43, andyblackman777 said:

Presumably this chart is made up of personal viewpoints rather than any empirical data. So to me, unless it’s Max Verstappen or some other decent driver carrying out the testing it makes me wonder how accurate it is. It’s possible most would be able to tell the difference between the top rated tyres and the bottom rated ditchfinders, but I’d question whether some owners would notice the difference without back-to-back testing. I’ve long thought there should be a standard test for tyres in the dry and wet, and I used to go by the treadwear figure as a broad interpretation. By that, if it says ‘Treadwear 30’, as I’ve seen on some competition tyres, you might get a few hard laps of Margate town square in before they expire. Conversely, if it says 220, they’re gonna last considerably longer, but may not grip as well. As it happens, I bought PZeros for the rear, and Neova for the fronts and to be brutally honest, I can’t tell the difference between those and the previous Michelin Pilots which were a few years old. The hardest job is, as has been said, is finding the correct size tyre all round. I found the front Pirelli’s impossible to find last time, hence the Yokohama’s. 

Margate Exotics.

• 1 year later...

So what is the 2022 view on new tires for the Esprit V8? 

It seems few tire makers have matching sets of 235/40R17 and 185/35R18 sizes any more. How many have exchanged the 235/40R17 for the more widely available 245/40R17?

And, which manufacturers have the same tire in both sizes?

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Indeed there were still some Toyo a couple of years ago but they seem to have disappeared!

I can't see much available on 123pneu.fr either for instance 😕 (=delti in other countries if I understand well)

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have had Falkens fitted on the front for some years, I have been highly satisfied with them especially the wear rate,  grip and steering feel is good in the dry, I have been satisfied with them in the wet. 

Cheers Tim. I think I'll go with them, gotta be better than the 20 year old tyres that are on there!!!

I also notice that the Yokohama Advan neova AD08R is available in some countries in the rear size so you could get a matching set of those but there not cheap!!

Anyone have experience with the Nanking NS-2R https://www.nankang-tyre.com/en/product/detail/2

THey seem to be available in the proper sizes. 

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

• Gold FFM

Got a set on my S4s and not really noticed the noise, but then I only did the 70 mile journey home from buying the car on the 20 year old rock hard rubber before fitting the Nankangs, so probably wouldn't notice the noise after that!

I'd echo what @Mightymetro said about driving in the wet with them. They'll get you home safely if in the wet if you understand the type of tyre they are drive accordingly in the conditions.

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

3 hours ago, tomcattom said:

Got a set on my S4s and not really noticed the noise, but then I only did the 70 mile journey home from buying the car on the 20 year old rock hard rubber before fitting the Nankangs, so probably wouldn't notice the noise after that!

I'd echo what @Mightymetro said about driving in the wet with them. They'll get you home safely if in the wet if you understand the type of tyre they are drive accordingly in the conditions.

What’s the Treadwear figure on the tyres?

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

According to the Nankang website it's 180  @Chillidoggy. However I'm sure there were two compounds when I bought mine, but only mention of one compound on their site that I can see right now.

I'll pop out to the garage shortly and check what's on the sidewalls of my tyres. I know I went with the harder compound because the car is mostly used on road.

7 minutes ago, tomcattom said:

According to the Nankang website it's 180  @Chillidoggy. However I'm sure there were two compounds when I bought mine, but only mention of one compound on their site that I can see right now.

I'll pop out to the garage shortly and check what's on the sidewalls of my tyres. I know I went with the harder compound because the car is mostly used on road.

180 is pretty soft. Looking at the tread pattern, I suspect they're "fun" if it's wet!

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

I couldn't find any markings about treadwear on the sidewall, but from bit of searching on the web, the softer compound NS2R was apparently 120.