Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Amazon Prime/Netflix/Disney Thread - Page 5 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Amazon Prime/Netflix/Disney Thread

ChrisJ

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Last year we watched Station 11, a post-apocalyptic themed series on HBO, finding it deeply compelling. Less the zombie sci-fi, more a truly humane take on the post-pandemic scenario when much of humanity had perished.

I can actually agree with the last two posts - watched Station 11 last year and am enjoying The Last of Us this year. I've always quite liked the "end of civilisation" stories ever since I started reading John Christopher novels in my teens.

I will admit to having had some initial reservations about The Last of Us as my one exception to the post-apocalypse is that I have never liked the zombie genre. In fact, I have been known to comment with some frequency that I don't quite grasp pop culture's obsession with the zombie apocalypse. After all, it seems to me that if zombie's eat brains then most people are safe.

I think what saves The Last of Us is that its zombie-plague has a quasi-reasonable premise and more importantly, monster-dodging is a secondary plot vehicle rather than the focus of the series. And if I have to live in a post-apocalyptic world I would prefer it to be more like Station 11. 

Mike

'97 V8

'73 Europa TC

'10 Elise SC

Somewhere along the track, I learned that whatever prevails in sci-fi at a given point in time pertains to broadly underlying fears. In the earliest Cold War period, it was alien invaders as the predominant theme, reflecting public anxieties over foreign threats from an unknown system. Much later, at a point where broad mistrust of governments in general was running high, we had the X-Files and its "Trust No One" ethos. So by extension it follows that we are currently troubled by the zombie mindlessness of society. Looking at you, MAGA, Freedom Convoy, Great Russian Empire, etc. Interestingly, Station 11 predates the Covid pandemic by some years.

Cheers, nonetheless

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I tried to watch it last night to see what all the fuss was about and got to about the same point as you before deciding it wouldn't get my vote and turned it off.

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

On 21/02/2023 at 01:22, drdoom said:

when much of humanity had perished

Sad thing is that sometimes it feels that that has already happened in real life.

I enjoyed Ganglands. It's dubbed but a good watch without the need to think hard.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Loved it but you have to stick with it as it starts explaining it all during the movie.

Very Japanese Anime style. Really liked it.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Stop me and buy one!!

• Gold FFM

I haven't seen everything everywhere, but in general I have adopted an excellent way to find good films and avoid tosh.

Open Rotten Tomatoes, check the critic and audience score

If the critics score it highly 90%+ it's probably rubbish. If the audience also scores it highly it *might* be worth watching but look for the words 'academy winning'.

If it's won a gong, it's probably rubbish.

If the critics score it quite low (less than 70%) and the audience score it 80% or more then it's probably worth a watch

If the critics score it 20% or less and the audience score it 90% or more, it'll be brilliant.

Edit:

The reason for the above is because critics like to kiss the bottoms of directors and/or the latest popular theme to get behind and have to try to look cultured and intelligent. Audience generally only care if the film is good to watch and entertaining. Just be careful with 'super reviewers' as they fancy themselves as mini-pro critics 

On 13/03/2023 at 05:50, Bibs said:

Everything everwhere all at once. Am I missing something? Managed it for about 20 mins and turned it off, it won 7 oscars last night! :huh:

Watched that in its entirety, memorable only for its ambitious run at maintaining a semblance of coherence over the course of the simplest storyline presented via phantasmagoria. Wouldn't care to recommend it.

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM

in a word Dopesick on Disney Plus best thing i have watched in years about the Sackler family and the US opioid problem. Brilliant and shocking in equal measure. Michael Keaton deserves an Oscar for his performance. 

• Like 2

Well on the Same channel (Disney) is Little Demon voiced by Lucy Devito and her Dad Danny.

I was flicking through what they had and saw it. Now, apart from Family Guy I don't watch many Cartoons but when I saw it was an 18 I thought "OK, I'll give it a go!"

Now the Trailer below doesn't really show anything untoward....................... However.............

In the First Episode a 13 Year Old Girl first expands then explodes 2 screaming teenage bullies. Her mother then Strips naked (yes you see everything) and shoves a packet of bones into her Vagina. At this point Wendy walked in and her jaw hit the ground "What the F**k are you watching?"...Eeeep! I hit the pause button to explain but the picture on screen just happened to be of a Cartoon woman with her breasts out and her hand "down there". Eeeep again. 

After explaining and being told someone didn't want to watch the pervy stuff I was watching I caught up with it later. 

I mean, 3 episodes in and the Mom has just let a Serial killer tie her up and sexually assault her, though her friend blew his brains out before you saw much, Lots of ritual killing. Boy it doesn't pull its punches this program even down to the parting end of episode 2 where Danny Devitos character ends the Episode to "Come on lets go boil some babies" to cheers from his demons.

Yipes!

Stop me and buy one!!

• Gold FFM

OK, I just finished EEAAO. It was odd. I found it watchable, with a decent audio system the sound design is very very good (your neighbours might not be happy at the 'part 1' title which nearly blew me off the sofa). The end of the titles are quite beautiful in surround.

The film itself, I enjoyed parts of but as a whole, it was a bit hard work to get through. Half way through (announcement of part 2) I found myself checking how long left and despairing, which is never a good thing. I wouldn't say don't watch it, but be prepared to put some effort in to get to the end.

• Gold FFM
On 13/02/2023 at 19:35, march said:

Just binge watched Clarkson's Farm 2 - Bloody brilliant. I haven't laughed so much for a a long time. Again it shows what is so good about farming but also what is so wrong with British farming along with all the petty bureaucracy, both local and National.

It's good to see it's not just the Dartmoor National Park Planning Department that's either corrupt, incompetent or both.

It enthused me so much I went, fed the cows and cut some hedges and did a Clarkson to my little pinkie the following day (being a proper farmers I only needed a plaster not plastic surgery) 🐄👨‍🌾

Liz and I watched this as well. Lots of laughs and we both had the thought that Kaleb will remember this for the rest of his life. Also get a huge laugh from Gerald. I really struggle to understand him. I laugh at the subtitles which simply state 'Unintellgible'.

I am amazed at the hoops he has had to jump through and then the seemingly endless negativity from both the people in the village as well as the council. Ok it's a show and quite possibly for shock factor, but it does show a propensity for councils to disallow a person to do something with his own land.

• Like 2

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

If you haven't watched Series one, You must do so! If you haven't here's a Trailer for the Brilliant Season 2! Binge watched over the weekend!

• Like 2

Stop me and buy one!!