Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Future of Lotus - Page 91 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Future of Lotus

3 hours ago, NedaSay said:

from late 2019 to late 2020 and now to early 2021

1 hour ago, mdavies said:

one sort of Evija-ish in appearance for a reveal late 2020 and availability 2021

Autocar: New car is "expected to be shown in the first half of next year before going on sale in the following months"

The original target was to reveal the car this year with sales early next so it has been delayed by the best part of another year. 'First half of next year' could mean end of June 21, on sale towards end of 2021. It won't take much to make this a 2022 car. So current range will have to be around longer than orginally planned which makes some updates much more likely.

1 hour ago, The Pits said:

The original target was to reveal the car this year with sales early next so it has been delayed by the best part of another year. 'First half of next year' could mean end of June 21, on sale towards end of 2021. It won't take much to make this a 2022 car. So current range will have to be around longer than orginally planned which makes some updates much more likely.

I can’t help feeling we’re letting frustration get the better of us and facts are getting mixed up with speculation........

But I may be wrong.....so just so I understand the basis for the thinking that we won’t be seeing a new (based around the Evora platform) car this year, and production next year.......where has Phil Popham actually said this? I’ve seen lots of speculation but I haven’t seen anything from the “Lotus Organ Grinder” to say anything’s changed from this message......

https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-news/lotus-ceo-future-sports-cars/

• Like 1

So re the 2020/21 "next one", we've had Phil Popham say "have an IC engine",  David McIntyre say "come with an IC engine" and recently Phil Popham say "all have some electrification". (My paraphrasing).  Here,  NedaSay (I think) was the first to suggest a mild form of hybridisation would be a 48v system on top of an IC engine.

Just putting those points together, given that the car will presumably have to span a price/power range as the current Evora did, wouldn't it be fun if the previous Evora 'Sport Option' was resurrected in the form of a 48v power boost on/off switch?  Even a "push to pass" button on the steering wheel?!  All the statements above would be satisfied. Perhaps fit most of the 48v system in place whether optioned or not - just add bigger batteries and a switch to charge ££££ more.  

^^So a 48v battery is no big deal in terms of weight, you can offset it quite easily. However it does require some planning and I don't know if Evora has room anywhere to put it as part of a retrofit, or maybe they just sacrifice the bootspace. Please do note that they did not even bother to bring Phil's special with an updated auto, which at this point is, I think, the easiest update, and it would be big for Lotus as it would bring Evora's emission back below 235g/mile of CO2. Also I'm only suggesting 48v because it is the most cost effective and weight sensitive option out there right now.  But these views are mine and mine alone.

Edited by NedaSay

Nico, as a 2 seater surely room enough. Probably not ideal dynamically, but a 48v battery behind the seats would permit the necessarily hefty cables to the motor generator to be short and direct. The Continental 30Kw system (40 bhp) peaks at 625 amps current - the 48v battery at the front not ideal!

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/07/20190702-conti.html

On 28/02/2020 at 16:13, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

I’ve got a Trade Fair of my own to exhibit at in Germany next month. It’s usually extremely well attended by the Chinese and North Italians. It’s not just the time you spend on stand duty, it’s also all the time you spend squashed like sardines in public transport getting in and out of the event each day, that has the potential for spreading any virus locally. The duly afflicted could unknowingly take this back home with them and trigger another outbreak elsewhere.

Just heard that the Trade Fair in Germany I was due to attend has been postponed for the same reason. This is costing a lot of companies a lot of money.

On 19/02/2020 at 22:23, NedaSay said:

I'm curious as to whether the new factory - atelier really - is a refurbished part of factory 2 or is housed in the " DB skeleton" that Lotus has been working for a little while now.

Don't think it is in factory 2 extension as it looks like the roof is off that one. Looks like it is in the one just opposite between the entry road and track.

chipp

• Like 1

A little Side note, in 2019 Lotus parent company, Geely, racked in nearly USD 46B in revenue for a debt of USD 8.1B and the company is now investing in its own satellite facility to bring forward total connectivity to their cars... 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/china-s-geely-sold-2-18-million-units-in-2019--helping-virus-hit-suppliers-12491920

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-02-11/geely-merger-to-tap-more-cash-from-volvo-as-china-market-narrows

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/2/21162244/geely-satellite-network-autonomous-connected-cars-starlink

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

Johnny Cabs. 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Here is where I come down on Lotus’ future: it doesn’t matter.  While there has been FAR too much secrecy surrounding new models, one thing is pretty clear: the new models will in all likelihood be a departure from existing models.  If you value what the existing models represent, the new models are going to be a lot more than updates to existing models.  These new models are going in a different direction and if you care for the current lineup, you probably won’t like it.  I’d love to be wrong, but I just don’t envision the new models carrying forward past Lotus values intact.

What new models? It's all the usual smoke and mirrors so far and you don't have to be overly cynical to roll your eyes and mutter under your breath about the situation as it's all been seen before. We haven't had any new models for years. The last new model we had I went with Bibbo and Tony to see it being featured at Top Gear. That was in 2008 and, for context, a fit and healthy Schmacher was pretending to be the Stig.  The re-bumpered, re-engined and re-upholstered cars since then are not new models no matter how great they are.

Where's the new stuff? Where are the new cars that will grab the column inches, the YouTube minutes and the Instagram likes? Where's the new stuff that will make it worthwhile seeking out the stand at Goodwood or even worthwhile having a stand at Geneva? Where are the new models that will eventually succumb to endless Limited Editions while we moan about waiting for  the next new stuff?

We've had nothing but empty promises for years and it's only been the genius of the engineers being able to successfully tinker with the existing line-up and the loyalty of a handful of Lotus enthusiasts that have kept the production line from collecting cobwebs. Utterly and repetitively exasperating.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Why would they still use a Toyota engine? Why not a Volvo engine or don’tVolvo have anything suitable?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

They do...but people don't mention or even seem to know about it... While other journos are totally oblivious to the fact that Geely group can engineer their own powertrains... My bet it will be an all new to Lotus engine based on a GeelyVolvo existing block.

Also does this car sports 21 or bigger at the rear... this tire/wheel combo looks massive?

500HP+ Evora based car is something I would love to see.

2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing (MT) ◄ 2017 Lotus Evora 400 (SOLD) ◄ 2013 Lotus Evora S (SOLD) ◄ 2005 Lotus Elise (SOLD) ◄ 1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 (SOLD)

This configurator is not for us, it seems. non buyers will not be invited to play with it and create the Evija of their dreams but i do hope the tech will be applied to all future cars from the company. It looks gorgeous.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/features/virtually-perfect-next-level-lotus-evija-configurator

Can't help thinking the newly announced Aston Martin engine would fit the Evora/Exige platform perfectly. They will have spent a tonne developing and testing, so Lotus could do something similar to Aston did with the Merc V8's. Would be nice to have a UK developed and built engine instead of a modified Volvo unit.