Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Future of Lotus - Page 110 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Future of Lotus

From this and the earlier shots from Autocar, I think sadly that the new lotus will have a transverse engine. Let's hope that Lotus search far and wide to find a transaxle that can handle a load more torque, like the German DCT can. 

Although there is a load of talk saying the new lotus will have the current Toyota 2GR engine, I’m hoping that they will modified Geely’s own 3.5 V6 JLV-6G35 rather than an off the peg item. Whats the point of Geely buying and owning Lotus just to carry on using off the shelf items.

Geely have their own transmission facility, they own Drivetrain System International. A 7 speed DCT or a 6 speed manual that can handle more torque than the current Toyota EA60 gearbox is a must.

I was hoping for an inline mid engine'd car that could do the Esprit name justice, it would be fitting for the last ICE Lotus. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
3 minutes ago, dooie said:
From this and the earlier shots from Autocar, I think sadly that the new lotus will have a transverse engine. Let's hope that Lotus search far and wide to find a transaxle that can handle a load more torque, like the German DCT can. 

Although there is a load of talk saying the new lotus will have the current Toyota 2GR engine, I’m hoping that they will modified Geely’s own 3.5 V6 JLV-6G35 rather than an off the peg item. Whats the point of Geely buying and owning Lotus just to carry on using off the shelf items.

Geely have their own transmission facility, they own Drivetrain System International. A 7 speed DCT or a 6 speed manual that can handle more torque than the current Toyota EA60 gearbox is a must.

I was hoping for an inline mid engine'd car that could do the Esprit name justice, it would be fitting for the last ICE Lotus. 

Kind of agree. Assuming this really is a mule for the next car or new Esprit. Maybe they are just testing something else using an Evora?

2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing (MT) ◄ 2017 Lotus Evora 400 (SOLD) ◄ 2013 Lotus Evora S (SOLD) ◄ 2005 Lotus Elise (SOLD) ◄ 1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 (SOLD)

• Gold FFM

Looking on PH everyone seems to be wondering what poor little Lotus can do Vs the might of Tesla... I have to hand it to Tesla their PR drive has worked wonders to blind people to facts

Yup, blind to the build quality issues, the paint issues, etc.  Tesla's reputation is one thing, the surveys suggest the reality is something else.

However, owners seem to love them.

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Musk's Distortion Field...

The overall perceived quality of Tesla product is not the best, but they make for comfy rides, wow factor and it feels good being part of the people who are doing something to lower nefarious emissions... That's what i get from the all thing. Still when you sit inside and see the panels gaps...sigh!

Let’s have a refresh of thinking on the new sports car due for launch middle of next year. That’s presumably the mule for it above, now in yellow. It looks to have the same wheelbase as the Evora. We know it will have a V6 (probably the same Toyota one, rather than ex Geely). We don’t think there will be any electric motor technology. We know it will be the usual aluminium chassis technology and presumably primarily glass fibre panels. We can see it will be a couple of inches wider. We think the engine will still be transverse located, so still sit quite high. We also know it is expected to cover a huge range of prices: I think I read £55000 to well over £100000, so there must be some major mechanical differences between bottom and top range models.

Will it replace all 3 current ranges (Elise, Exige and Evora?). Going from the above guesstimates it seems to be “just” an updated and wider Evora, probably with Evija styling cues. What’s your current thinking?

Whatever it is mechanically I don’t think it’s going to feel quite as special as the current line up, surely it’s going to have particulate filters, easier ingress, less analog, more tech. I think Lotus has (unintentionally) come to stand for something very special as a side effect of having to reinvent the same basic model line up year after year. This new car will certainly be for the drivers, but not likely the existing drivers. I can only imagine that the current model line up (Elise and Exige in particular) will go on to represent the end of a golden era in driver involvement terms. 

Yeah not sure how they’re going to achieve £55000 with the supercharged V6 either? So that would mean either the return of an off-the-shelf 276bhp NA, or installing a 4 pot, which might be a bit small in this even bigger car. No problems at the £110,000 upper price though.

1 hour ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Let’s have a refresh of thinking on the new sports car due for launch middle of next year. That’s presumably the mule for it above, now in yellow.

Are you sure that it’s not just a run-out version of the current Evora? Slightly wider track (a la GTE), slightly more power, adios Evora?

• Like 1

Hope so @Bravo73, sounds enticing...

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

5 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Yeah not sure how they’re going to achieve £55000 with the supercharged V6 either? So that would mean either the return of an off-the-shelf 276bhp NA, or installing a 4 pot, which might be a bit small in this even bigger car. No problems at the £110,000 upper price though.

They would have to be anticipating sales like the C8, and there would be very few LT1s to be found today.  Almost everything that were seeing is the LT2/3 range on or about 85-120k.  Chevy can do this and lose money on the Vette, because the rest of their lineup eats the cost, they know Vette owners are a small margin of profit, and that's a hugely small market.  If they're going after that market I think they'll find that the Corvette market is a cult, and they're behind the power curve to compete directly. 

They are well suited however to go after the Mazda Miata,  but that's a different topic entirely I imagine.

Or they do like Alfa introduce it, as the 4c was, then pull the plug counting on introducing a Sport Saloons, and SUVs to take the brunt of the ROI.

Noone is going to ask me, but its exciting,  I personally think they'd be better off making the safety modifications to their current Elise/Exige Lineups as a reintroduction to the US, heck pick an Elise any Elise, almost any condition and its 30k if its road legal.  After which pushing the new platform. 

Curious stuff really,  and pretty exciting. 

(Obviously I'm typing 'thought to mouth here)

Edited by Jason is Chasing

What The...

Volvo's New Small EV Is Based On A Platform Shared With Polestar, Lotus And A London Taxi Company

https://jalopnik.com/volvos-new-small-ev-is-based-on-a-platform-shared-with-1845300345?utm_source=jalopnik_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020-10-07

What the what ?!

The SEA platform is the group newest electrified platform, it is going to underpin most thing EV Geely is going to produce. That does include Lotus upcoming SUV whose "clone" - dare I say - has been unveiled already: Lynk and Co Zero concept :

SEA is super scaleable, it is pretty much a skate with only one fixed point and all of Geely companies can play around it to make it fit their need as it is open source...  Volvo can have McPherson struts while Lotus can go double wishbones... It promises more than adequate range( 400miles) and performance using up to 3 electric motors depending on application.

http://zgh.com/media-center/news/20200923-1/?lang=en

SEA has been in development for 3 years and has benefited from R&D from Sweden (CEVT), passing by Germany and China (Geely R&D) to the UK (LEVC and Lotus)

Edited by NedaSay

Very interesting but 400 mile range, really, sorry real world will be lucky to be 200, no one has the battery tech for that range unless its all battery and no people, cynical I may be but every road test on all the electric cars ever read manages manufactures claims, Tesla  3 come close.

The last comments by Chris Harris sum up I recon where the new Lotus should be, but i dough it...electrification is the end for now, of light weight.

video started just before his comment...

• Like 2

On 25/09/2020 at 10:08, scotty435 said:

2022... is that the projected launch for the new Esprit? Can they please hurry up as I'm not getting any younger! 

Having an affair with another marque... B-)

Was supposed to be presented this year but now moved to next year and first car delivery may be 2022.

I am still intrigued by this wider car on the picture. I assume it means the architecture of the car won’t be as close as to the Evora as what some people thought. I suspect they will try to have an more balance weight between the front and the back.

• Like 1