Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
SOUP - My new series about my Series 2 - Page 19 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

SOUP - My new series about my Series 2

• Gold FFM

Just watched my weekly fix of Soup to keep me motivated on my own project.

Had you considered Q-max cutters for doing the sheet metal holes @GTK@?

I don't know what thickness of steel you're using there but they do punch a very neat hole. Only cuts a set size so not quite as flexible as a the step cutters you used, but if there are sizes you regularly cut they're excellent in my experience.

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
15 hours ago, Bibs said:

Use it to chop up a bit of wood to stand on, just in case :lol:

😅

14 hours ago, tomcattom said:

...Had you considered Q-max cutters... I don't know what thickness of steel you're using...

I'd love a few of those but I'm on a budget so I'm just using what I can put my hands on. There are nice ones that punch and then dimple die at the same time. 

Fantastic videos as usual George 👍

Handy tip about using a ballpoint pen on the metal too. Can I suggest investing £1 in a Sharpie to write 'good panel' on the right one? (too early..?)

• Haha 1

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

On 22/02/2021 at 18:31, eeyoreish said:

...Can I suggest investing £1 in a Sharpie to write 'good panel' on the right one? (too early..?)

😁

I'm way ahead of you on that one, got a little trick up my sleeve ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks esteemed 'Flounder' :lol:

6 hours ago, NedaSay said:

Hey George any news from that welder?

It landed and has been put to work on the chassis! Today is a big one actually, all going well I'll paint the inside of the backbone, do some welding practice and then seal it up for good.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Good luck on the welding!! I think your chassis work is fantastic to watch... 

not to say the rest is not also fantastic, but watching you re-make the cradle was impressive... 

• Thanks 1

I know I should be watching the full back catalog instead of chipping the ice deck off the driveway, but is there a list of all the SOUP episodes with Esprit content?

• Gold FFM
12 hours ago, Bibs said:

Enjoyed this one...

@GTKGeorge, what a lovely video. Enthralling as usual. It was a pleasure getting such an insight into your experiences and history. Loved it.

• Thanks 1

On 16/03/2021 at 16:57, snowrx said:

I know I should be watching the full back catalog instead of chipping the ice deck off the driveway, but is there a list of all the SOUP episodes with Esprit content?

Well I should probably tell you to go back and do your homework, but I realised that many just won't bother so I started to recap the Lotus work in a dedicated run of videos starting with episode 62

On 16/03/2021 at 14:05, skiing said:

...watching you re-make the cradle was impressive... 

I don't think I've ever gotten job satisfaction from anything in the past like I've gotten from that cradle. It's been a recurring source of joy! Thanks Henry

On 16/03/2021 at 20:16, RobinB5 said:

@GTKGeorge, what a lovely video....

Thanks Robin

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Just caught your latest video in the series and it's captivating as ever. It must be such a satifying feeling when you put the jig back on and everything lines up as it did before.

One thing I did wonder while watching your latest video was is this gap in the welds not going to be a possible source of water ingress between the layers of steel if left as it is? Given what you observed elsewhere in that vicinity is there not a risk of the same problem in the highlighted area? You know more about the intricate details of the construction of that area of the chassis than probably anyone else now, so it may be that it's actually okay. I don't know, it just got me wondering 🤔

2021-05-19.thumb.png.2fe0a1a4d932058727bb0ee8a2cf41d4.png

• Thanks 1

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...