Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Delco-Moraine ABS Deletion - Page 17 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Delco-Moraine ABS Deletion

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Sorry to go back to topic 🙂 

I too have an S4s and had the brake kit fitted about 18 months ago and would agree, it is brilliant.

However, one thing I keep meaning to ask and keep forgetting, as it isn't a major problem, but the post above just reminded me....

My pump runs every time the pedal is pressed too, is that supposed to happen? It has since the day the conversion was done and it doesn't really bother me, other than if it isn't supposed to, any idea what needs to be changed?

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM

Yes, it's supposed to.  Once you use vacuum, the switch senses it and builds it back up to the set level.

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

3 hours ago, Bibs said:

@The_Del - Off topic I know but I'm allowed! :lol:

What are the chances, this came up in my photos memories - 20 years ago today that Nick re-arranged his V8 at Leicester Forest North!! 

It's always sad when an Esprit is damaged.  Each time it happens it feels like someone is stabbing you very slowly and painfully.  And it doesn't matter if it's your fault or someone else.

• Like 1

"I thought it was Lambo" -  Thank you very much and now it's time to educate the Exotic Less.

5 hours ago, Gareth44 said:

Sorry to go back to topic 🙂 

I too have an S4s and had the brake kit fitted about 18 months ago and would agree, it is brilliant.

However, one thing I keep meaning to ask and keep forgetting, as it isn't a major problem, but the post above just reminded me....

My pump runs every time the pedal is pressed too, is that supposed to happen? It has since the day the conversion was done and it doesn't really bother me, other than if it isn't supposed to, any idea what needs to be changed?

This subject is covered in the instruction manual, Setting Vacuum Pump, section 4.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Every time I fit one of those kits, I read the fitting instructions from start to finish.  Just sayin'.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

17 hours ago, Sparky said:

Every time I fit one of those kits, I read the fitting instructions from start to finish.  Just sayin'.

Thanks, that is fine.

However, it wasn't me that fitted it.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Then whoever fitted it should know better than to set vac at 0.5bar!  Just been discussing this with Ian, in fact:  the more people think they know, the less they read the instructions.  There's a reason pilots go through the checklists every. single. time.

• Like 1

They haven't set it to 0.5bar, I think you are you are confusing posts/posters.

• Gold FFM

Ah, understood.  Still applies; just not to you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparky said:

Then whoever fitted it should know better than to set vac at 0.5bar!  Just been discussing this with Ian, in fact:  the more people think they know, the less they read the instructions.  There's a reason pilots go through the checklists every. single. time.

That is how it was factory set, i.e. delivered and instructions stated the starting point is 18" HG which is about 0.6 bar, and with variance when the motor pumps it up, it seemed ok to stick with the default setting as a starting point.

My real inquiries were not just about the vacuum but also the pedal movement and MOT brake force figures etc to make sure everything was as expected. Just upping the vacuum is a brute-force fix and want to make sure there is nothing else potentially incorrect before simply turning the juice up.

We did go through all the documentation multiple times and I am used to pilot checklists but they also have a co-pilot often to verify settings hence the enquires.

• Like 1

If the assist is less (due to less vacuum), you'll need a (much) harder press to get the same force on the pads and the same pedal movement. So if the tester didn't stand on the brakes, the values will be lower. How much force you prefer, is your own choice. I like a firm pedal, as long as it allows me to lock the wheels without using both feet.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

The setup will differ depending on model and brake setup.  I start with factory, then adjust until I find the spot I want.  TBH I was probably a bit silly at 1 bar, but I'll always settle around 20in Hg.

All other variables should be in the braking system outside of the scope of the kit, with the exception of pedal drill point and play at top of travel.

34 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I'll always settle around 20in Hg.

The factory's quoted 'target' vacuum reading is 18hg.  Is 20hg 'about' 10% more vacuum, or is it one of those logarithmic things?

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Hey let's get back on track with helpful info, this is not really who can read or not, and as Ian states lots of issues nothing kit-related but always worth double checking because of the differences in every Esprit as above. Mine is standard Brembo brakes with EBC discs and after a mail from Ian, I am changing the Pads, cleaning the discs, and upping the Vacuum a bit.

For information and comparison purposes if anyone does have their MOT brake figures it would be nice to see. Just to add to good info if nothing else.

If every Esprit was built identically they would be boring, the fact they have such variance makes them fun to work on but does mean that things are never one size fits all. It's always good to verify things and compare variances.

There is also the variable of who performs the test. I know over here in bhellghium, as soon as the tester gauges reach the minimum required braking effort, they'll release and move on. When I could take the test myself because the tester didn't feel like climbing in to a small, RHD cabin (lucky me!), I hit the brakes too hard and the Esprit just jumped out. Instant pass of course.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.