Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Time to start explaining - Page 29 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Time to start explaining

• Gold FFM

+1 for black interior.  Uncanny.

I have driven hundreds, and the experience range is phenomenal.  Much of the time this is indeed due to suspension.  Plenty of motors out there sitting on original gear.

• Thanks 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

The magnolia looks lovely when clean - it needs redoing as it’s showing age and some creases - but it looks filthy once I’ve sat in it. The black doesn’t.

yes - old suspension is terrible - anyone with an Esprit on old bushes would be well advised to spend a weekend or two replacing them all. It really really made a massive difference to the S4 and my S when I’ve done them. That will be one of my next jobs on the S4s - but brakes are of the highest priority !!

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Solenoid fuses pulled for abs - oh my gosh - now that’s a night and day difference. It brakes properly and pulls up in a much shorter time - AND in a straight line.

thanks to @Chillidoggy for the tip.

won’t be long and the system will be removed and a proper non obsolete servo conversion fitted.

I’d very much like to try a stock S4s turbo on this car - does anyone have one lying about ?? 

• Like 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM
8 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

559B6FC6-8D7F-47D3-8A70-8258197A2114.thumb.jpeg.3c910b46270d1e163a968260c8214d62.jpeg

Had to measure up for some cable at the chicken sheds now the egg conveyor is fitted. I’ve taken the Sunday van 🤗

What a great photo, who knew there was a budding Lord Litchfield lurking in Barrys ever increasing repertoire. 

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM

Chargecooler fixing nut by the turbo had never been fitted by me - tonight I’ve found the chargecooler has lifted - the jubilee lip on the turbo feed pipe slipped down and the chargecooler sitting loose in the pipe. Now I know why the turbos been kicking in late and it’s been a bit noisier.

all bolted down now - but I’d like to replace those pipes either side of the chargecooler with slightly longer ones so I can double clamp them - anyone know the ID size ?? Otherwise I’ll remove and measure later in the week.

two new rams arrived tonight - now on the car.

the wheel centres which don’t fit now they have been powdercoated. I’ve got a rubber sanding pad that goes in a drill. Drilled five holes in it and i can bolt the center to it. Whizz round in the drill on a bench - and flap disk in a grinder to fettle it down nice - done one and looks just fine. Will do the others tomorrow - one day I will buy a lathe 😂

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Nothing’s simple is it.

fancied fitting my centres on the wheels tonight - bolted the black bits on no problem - but the fixing stud is a different size - m5 thread in the wheel not m4 as the bolts on the black bit.

hence the heads are too big for the countersinks in the black plastic.

so - crack out the farmyard exotics lathe and problem solved 8B06B39B-9E95-41E9-96B0-609A516A9005.jpeg.185c7f19c35ef821a1cc57cc23984d05.jpeg

• Like 2

Only here once

• Gold FFM
4 minutes ago, swindon_alan said:

Is that a Triumph tank and your next earner Mr Kearley?

It’s just up the road at a trading estate in Bishops Frome. A bit of a local landmark for some reason.

hell that cars driving better. Lots of noise from the sunroof seal - seems to be further away from the seal on the drivers side - I need to tighten up the mountings.

tightened up the loose -ve terminal on the battery tonight as it wouldn’t start - totally dead until I cleaned and tightened that up. Funny old thing - a 35 mile drive with some bumpy Herefordshire roads and not a single cel flash or speedo funny. What a dick !!

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Ffs - why do I bother. Thought I’d have a look at this drivers motor not working. What an absolute arse of a job.

unit now out and on the side. The up 12v looks to be shorted to ground in the unit - as when it’s not plugged in the signal is fine - plug it in - it’s not.

the board is covered in conformal coating and it’s hard to see what goes where. 

Anyone have any any ideas if these are used elsewhere?? 

It has brose 186 135 000 on the side of the box - I have looked at cavalier stuff of the time and it’s not the same.

i will resoldet the joints tomorrow - buzz out the diodes - and if that doesn’t work it’s getting the good news with a hammer and I shall just wire up a couple of relays to do the job.

73AD671E-2E0B-4060-94C3-AFA0E9A900A3.thumb.jpeg.6cb05bc73c2dad83ea6c3550beeeb1b3.jpeg

Only here once

Barry, the electronics does all of the one shot and hand in the window protection stuff, as well as the uppy downy bit. Hang fire mate I remember a few posts about this which I will dig out tomorrow. Along with @cweeden's request for a fuel filter. See if I can find the cross refs buddy.

Ha, I had a boss years ago really pushing a project that I was involved with. I was working sixteen hour days, seven days a week to get it delivered. One Monday morning I walked into his office and he said that we needed to speed it up. I gave him that eyes upward look and told him how much effort we were putting in. He hardly blinked when he said "invent more time"...

Sometimes I feel like that about Esprit cross refs. Calm down Mr Kearley x

• Haha 1

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

• Gold FFM

It’s off a Vauxhall calibra - found one the same on eBay. 

I will have a gentle fettle with it tomorrow - having stripped some of the concoat off - I can now see the tracking. Looks like there’s a chip which Is interfering with the relay circuits - there’s some temp sensors by the motor contacts as well.

i reckon it might be getting modified tomorrow if it’s not fixable as it is. I will order the eBay one then

eBay one bought - can’t have a car with no closable window !! 

Only here once

I thought that photo looked familiar, I’ve got a pair of new window assemblies in the garage. If Barry can’t find the part numbers, I’ll have a look at what I’ve got. For some reason, I’ve got an idea that they were also Jaguar or Rover parts,  but I can’t be sure.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM
7 hours ago, swindon_alan said:

Well done that man! I will post it up in the cross ref section once you have sorted it. A GM part number would be good?

It ties up with the door cards - I’m sure they are calibra as well. I will have a look at the number on it when it arrives - if it’s the right one that is.

1 hour ago, Chillidoggy said:

I thought that photo looked familiar, I’ve got a pair of new window assemblies in the garage. If Barry can’t find the part numbers, I’ll have a look at what I’ve got. For some reason, I’ve got an idea that they were also Jaguar or Rover parts,  but I can’t be sure.

Now you say ....... the ones on my S were motors from an XJS. These I think are gm specific

Only here once

9 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

eBay one bought - can’t have a car with no closable window !! 

No Barry, why would you need that? It hardly ever rains in the UK...

Kind regards

Jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)