Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
New Esprit - Page 3 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

New Esprit

scotty435

Just an R8 wannabe?

I want:

Updated wedge shape with integrated rear duck tail spoiler like the S3 turbo and Evora 410.

4.0 or 5.0l V8 with 500-550 bhp. RWD. Mid Engine. Manual. No more than 175 inches long, 80 inches wide, 47 inches high max and no more than 3000lbs in weight.

No +2. No cup holders. 

I can dream.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

The one thing a new esprit doesn’t need is a V8 engine.

they tried that and frankly it didn’t sell well last time. 4 pot and two small turbos would be just nice

• Like 1

Only here once

Philistine!

If you can get a decent exhaust note then OK maybe, but I am not a fan at all of turbo lag so that would need to be factored in. Smooth progressive constant torque and power is fine, but pug pug boom boom not so fine.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Aww come on that's a bit unfair. They don't sound good stock, but they harken from a time before sport mode and valve systems which would allow noise at WOT. 

I think the 4-pot Esprits have a magical growl to them with a sports catalyst and a hollow back box. I can definitely identify it a mile away. That and the sewing machine sound of the engine.

The V8's without a backbox also sound great, but it's not an Italian sound or a Big Block sound. It's its own thing, and that I think matters a bit more.

The whole "Esprits have a bad engine note/V8 sounds like two 4 pots together" thing is a carry over from piss-poor and biased motor journalism of yesteryear, like the LOTUS acronym...

If they sounded so bad, how come I always get complimented on the sound by people?

On 23/05/2018 at 21:37, Barrykearley said:

Two turbos - lag gone.

the Esprit needs to be back to its roots

So completely dead below 2700 rpm then a murderous shove at 3000 rpm?! I'M IN. MORE LAG MORE LAG! It's about time a manufacturer brought back widow-maker style turbo lag like the F40 had. Time to wake up the generation that has grown lazy and accustomed to drive-by-wire-steer-by-wire-autopilot cars. 

• Like 2

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

I think it has to have at least 8 Cylinders to be 'seen' as a Supercar by the wider community. The flagship Lambo will always aim for a V12 whilst they can. It makes the appeal of a proper Supercar more hairy chested. And yes theres the noise too! I have to say though the GT430 Evora sounds immense although every reviewer I've seen and read persist in still refering it to being Camry-engined.... Seems its a bit like the Marina handles syndrome.

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

Oh, and the Lexus LFA is sublime.

A friend of mine has just bought an LFA, he preferred the Evora in terms of looks and drive, but the lack of "toys" as he calls them was the deciding factor. Lotus will need to up its game in the "toys" department in a new Esprit if it wants to compete at the top level.received_10215837110460143.thumb.jpeg.3a194ac80c4e5da3e41ae8631cccd10f.jpeg

MJK's MES (Mid-Engined Supercar) programme, the new Esprit, was destined to use the LFA engine. At the Edinburgh Evora launch in 2009, when Roger Becker and Russell Carr visited MMC with the car, Russell explained that they were having to re-engineer MES as it was originally specified with a BMW V8. Or it may have been the other way round, my memory ain't what it used to be....

5 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

American V8 is the best sounding exhaust note. 

Agree. My personal all time favourite is the 351 Cleveland in the DeTomaso Pantera. Best Idle ever. 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

There’s a programme on Netflix I think which shows the development of the 2015 Mustang, and how they went through about 100 different exhaust systems before they settled on the one. At the end of the programme, there’s two guys racing around a track in a Shelby version (neither of which can stop laughing out loud), and the exhaust note is AWESOME! 

I’ll have to see if I can find it again.

Margate Exotics.

I was always a fan of the Renault Alpine.But when i saw the new Alpine A110 i think they should have left it as it was.It doesnt matter which engine is installed when it looks like this.Its a clone between a Celica and Scirocco.

As known,tastes differ 😂

Screenshot_2018-05-24-19-04-27-1.png

• Gold FFM

I love the sound of my 4 banger roaring. It’s what an Esprit is all about.

v8 engines are lovely - but not in an Esprit - bang them in a jaaag

• Like 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

v8 engines are lovely - but not in an Esprit -

But but but, 

What about a dry sump Esprit..... Lightweight compact 4.0 V8 Twin turbo, 209kg, (lighter than most 4 pots) 550bhp, if only Geely had access to the Mercedes parts bin, doesn't sound too shabby either.Screenshot_2018-05-24-22-51-18.thumb.png.c374bf2ebe2fb8dca3f2a777701b5599.png

Isn't that the LC 500 Steve? An LFA would be somewhat pricier than any Evora!

Edited by nello
  • Sad 1

• Gold FFM

It may well be Neil, I'm certainly not a Lexus guy, I virtually begged him to bag an Evora, (which was well within his company car price range believe it or not).

I'll Google LFA later, if this isn't one then I've never seen one, but I doubt it's going to be anything special, I've yet to see what I would consider to be a beautifully designed Japanese car.

• Gold FFM

Googled....... YEP as expected, pig ugly slab sided slanty lighted angular Japanese unflowing design. 

• Haha 1

I'm no Jap fan but the engine is to die for. It was basically a de-tuned F1 unit - it was done at the same plant where Toyota's then F1 unit were.

It sounds awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9qYCUjrrYs

Even so thats not a bad Company car!

Edited by nello
  • Like 1

• Gold FFM

There has been so much talk for so many years, does everyone really think it will happen?

Don't get me wrong, I hope it does, it just seems like an INCREDIBLY well kept secret.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)